Quantcast

The Sinister 29er is nearly built...

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
OK, few things.
Here is my partial build... a few thing are changing....namely I initially wanted to just run SS, but the SS dropouts are a week away at least and I am quite impatient.
1. I need a longer rear derailleur cable/housing
2. I need the correct adapter for my front Hope.
3. The Ringle Abbah is one F-ING loud hub
4. The bars/and or Stem need to change...the thought of flipped Mary's geeks me out so, no. Currently it's running a 5° rise thomson...flipping that or going to 0° may do it.

I've only ridden it a little up and down the street and through the back yard, but I know these things...Frank succeded in making me feel "in," not "on" the bike. The standover is fine as long as I'm wearing shoes LOL...barefoot, my twigs and berries are a little nervous ;) It feels like I'm riding a gunship. The frame weight a tick under 4.5#'s with the dropouts mounted.

I can not wait to get this tractor out on the trail.

Decals should be done soon.

Of the Six built, there are only two left.

This Blood Red one and a Tan/Coffee colored one.

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
all the frames are the same size. the TT is 23.6". i think you you are just a little too tall for them, sorry.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006

Here you go Mark...flipped the stem and the seat was low in the earlier pic...brought it up another inch, and could frankly use another .5"

Also got the shift cables sorted and am just waiting for either the correct hope adapter for up front, my stokers to come in, or for me to break down and buy a set of BB7s until the Strokers show up LOL.

Tossed the Exi and put on the Rampage 2.35.

Oh yeah...yeah, just this Medium size avail for this run.... 23.6 TT, 16.82" CS, 72° HT and 72.75° ST...When looking at my bike there in the pic, remember it's setup with about 1.75" -2" of sag, so it looks a bit raked out.

The two frames left are a SICK deal. The next run will be welded in the middle of July and it should be a fairly quick turnaround. Questions yadda yadda to 29er@sinisterbikes.com

If ANYONE in New England wants to take my bike for a spin, come on up...or Pedros fest. I can't tell you how stoked I am on this thing!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Yeah! More details! Like wheelbase. (Those wheels look so close together in your pics!) How's the cornering? DH? You know......make us feel as if we were riding it! (Ha ha!)

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Wheelbase is 42.17"...I have size 11's and have no toe overlap at all...not really even close.

I love how it handles but hell, I hope so, I helped design it LOL...as opposed to feeling "on" my old Rita, I feel "in" this bike. You're not concious of being on a 29er per se, but more stoked to be on such a fun ride. Had the chance to climb the hell out of this beast as well bomb some short and fast chutes on Sunday and was very comfortable. The bike never got sketchy. The wheels may look a bit close together in the pics, but don't forget, that is a 2.55 Weirwolf up front and a 2.35 Rampage out back...lotsa rubber.

This is not some XC-bike with 29" wheels, but definately more a trail bruiser on 29's...This bike is the Dropkick Murphy's of the 29er world.:cheers:

ArmOnFire

Chimp
May 10, 2004
Exeter, NH
I like the "choke" stickers on the handlebars above the shifter on the right side.

Is it bad then when I took it for a spin I had to ask how to shift the thing? Funny what riding SS will do for you.

The bike looks way better in person, pix don't do it justice.

-Dan

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Hmmmmm....maybe in a week or two....or we could meet in the middle...a little B&T's action?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
are those two still left? if so, pm me with a price. i'm wasn't in the market for a new steed, but i'm starting to think about this. these are sexy.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
are those two still left? if so, pm me with a price. i'm wasn't in the market for a new steed, but i'm starting to think about this. these are sexy.
they're all gone...
although he did sell the last one to a shop (the Dried Blood color), so they might have it available..
but you'd have to contact FTW/Sinister to find out what shop that might be.

LongviewTx

Chimp
Dec 30, 2006
Longview, Texas
Do you have some more pics you could post? Possibly close-up of rear drop out and crank/BB spec'd. She really is a sweet looking ride. Man, I hate always being envious. Thou shalt not covet another man's ... bike.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
Do you have some more pics you could post? Possibly close-up of rear drop out and crank/BB spec'd. She really is a sweet looking ride. Man, I hate always being envious. Thou shalt not covet another man's ... bike.
hey thanks..
yeah i gotta get some better pix..
i wasn't zooming in on the dropouts cuz i don't have the adjustable SS drops yet.. so i'm forced to ride 'ghetto' with the Rennen tensioner. i cringe at the sound of the chain on the roller, however whisper-quiet it might be:disgust:
the cranks i'm running right now are Shimano Hones, although i have a sweet set of 180mm XTR M952 cranks being ceramic coated and i'll be running my spiderless chainwheel on the XTR splines...

so...

more pix when those steps are finished.:banana:

(I won't mention the Orange I9's)

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Is it just me or does the head angle look super steep? Sick rig- how does it ride? and- If this your first 29er- what do you think?

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006

Head angle is 72°

The bike is really turing out to be the ultimate 29er trail-bitch. Very stoked with it...less stoked with the Reba. The fore/aft flex of the crown and side to side flex of the QR axle are killing me. By Wednesday I should have the Maverick DUC on there and really be able to enjoy throwing myself over the bars LOL!

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
Sick rig- how does it ride? and- If this your first 29er- what do you think?
I had a Kona Unit 2-9 and really liked the geometry so when working with FTW, we tried to get it somewhere between that, RJ's old Rita and the Niner One-9...all bikes we liked for various reasons..
this one feels great right outta the gate.. seriously within 50 yards i was smiling..
I rode it with a Reba but it felt steep and flexy (this was designed around 100mm fork)
with the Manitou 29 it sits up better and the 20mm front axle really helps stiffen up the front end.. to be honest the fork felt best locked out! if i can find a 20mm-axled rigid fork i might go that route. i gotta figure out that Absolute Platform shiz and set the air pressure properly...
here in New England, the bike handled the rocks and roots and felt super stable on the downhills... of course it climbed well. can't wait for the next ride.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Have you guys ever considered one of those White Brothers Fluid 130's? Seems like that would turn a trick on one o them thar Bar Sinisters.
Definately thought about it, but when it came down to it, I didn't have a chance to take one for a spin...but I did ride a Maverick and a Lefty...if the lefty wouldn't have been such a chore to get it all together in one place, I may have done it....but the Maverick was a one stop shop and it seemed plenty stiff.

I wish we had someone local who carried the WBs and I could have fitted one.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
D - Waltworks is building thru axle 29er forks and a few others are as well. Check jncarpenter's thread for one example of a rigid thru axle jobbie.