Quantcast

The software long known about but only recently used thread

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Lately I've discovered Windows Search in XP. I use it at work.

Holy sh1t. It's really good.

For Ubuntu, I'm getting deeper into Inkscape.

I've also recently installed TinyERP and started exploring it's depths. Again, HOLY SH1T!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
what's so good about win search? do you use it to make sure there's not another of whatever you're looking for? or are you hopelessly unorganized? or is it to search among a shared computer or network?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
what's so good about win search? do you use it to make sure there's not another of whatever you're looking for? or are you hopelessly unorganized? or is it to search among a shared computer or network?
Up to a couple hundred emails a day, each with attached .doc, .xls, .pdf files, etc. Reference numbers, ship numbers, bill of lading numbers, Customs entry numbers, etc etc etc.

Also several network folders with a bazillion files.

Win search pulls all correspondence and attachments related to a single ref # at once. It does it way better than Google desktop.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Also style, color and size numbers. Ship to and from locations. Costs. Vessel information. ETD, ETA. BOL. Container and seal numbers. Commercial invoice numbers. Customs HTS codes.

I can grab everything I need at once. It instantly pops up a list of the related docs as I type out the search query.

See what I'm getting at?

Dang is right.