Quantcast

The stash, man.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Here is the stash we brought back from California...

From left to right....

Hartley Ostini's 2004 Hitching Post Corkdancer v4.2 Pinot Noir. Hartley Ostini makes his wines for his steakhouse, The Hitching Post. We had a bottle with dinner at The Hitching Post & it was one of the best steak wines I have ever had.

2003 Epiphany "The Gypsy" Grenache.
We tried this in Los Olivos, at their tasting room. It was good & made our list of "wines lug back across the country".

2001 Blackjack Ranch "Allusion" Cab Franc.
Tasted this at the winery & it made "The List" too. I now know there is good Cab Franc out there.

2003 Peachy Canyon Westside Zinfandel.
We met the owner in New Orleans & he invited us come & do barrel some barrel tasting....Not hooking up with him was one of my only regrets of the trip. We should have taken 3 weeks off, so we could do everything we wanted. This is a smooth, complex, elegant zin. Zin's this smooth are hard to find.

2003 Koehler Syrah, Santa Ynez Valley.
This also made "The List"....obviously. Nice, big, meaty, peppery Syrah.

2002 DiBruno Sangiovese Stolpman Vineyards.
Very nice. They had a nice, quaint tasting room in Edna Valley surrounded by grape vines & great Sangiovese.

2005 Peachy Canyon Rosé (90% Zin/10% Syrah)
We like the guys at Peachy Canyon, they make some great stuff. If you are ever in Paso Robles check out their Little School House tasting room. For $3 you can taste 7 (I think?) wines & they were pouring nice sized tastes when we were there.

Also....this 2005 Stolpman Estate Grown Rosato is in the fridge.

We bought much more, that we drank on the road...I wish I could remember it all, cause it was good stuff.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
pinot noir as a great steak wine?

i like a bit more meat to my meat wine.

the others sound good, though i've not heard of any outside Peachy Canyon.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
narlus said:
pinot noir as a great steak wine?

i like a bit more meat to my meat wine.

the others sound good, though i've not heard of any outside Peachy Canyon.
Oh, but Central Coast Pinots are BIG, for the most part. The Hitching Post is a blockbuster. They are nothing like their delicate Burgundian counterparts.

Some big Pinots I would recommend are Foxen Pinot, H.P. (of course) & Au Bon Climat. If you can find a Five Rivers Pinot...that is a good steak pinot too & only $9. Ranger Station by Fess Parker is another big, affordable Central Coast Pinot, but is a little overdone IMHO....it is 15.1% alc.!!!!

We just had the Koehler Syrah with a nice ribeye & pommes frittes. It was oh, so good.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Changleen said:
I like Pinot Noir with steak.
I had a Matua Marlborough PN yesterday that would be bad-ass with a steak. It was pretty damn good with the fried catfish though.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Now show us your "other" stash from Nor Cal. ;)

You know, I wish I liked wine because it sounds so interesting. So many varieties and subtleties to discover and enjoy. Sadly try as I might I just don't like wine. I've drank good wines and cheap wines... the only wine I ever liked was over ice. :evil:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pairing is sometimes all about context for me.

Pan-seared steak with red wine sauce, wild mushrooms and a potato gratin on a cold rainy night? Cab or Zinfandel please.

Grilled steak with vegetables and potato salad at a sunny summer picnic? Chilled Pinot Noir will rock my socks.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
OGRipper said:
Pairing is sometimes all about context for me.

Pan-seared steak with red wine sauce, wild mushrooms and a potato gratin on a cold rainy night? Cab or Zinfandel please.

Grilled steak with vegetables and potato salad at a sunny summer picnic? Chilled Pinot Noir will rock my socks.

amen.