Quantcast

the tax return thread

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I always owe that fukk uncle sam $$$. Last year I had to send a check for $3k and he took my stimulus :bonk: I also paid $3k during the year :bonk:

This year will be a little bette rI hope.

I love handing 50+% of my earning to the gov. They spend it so wisely.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
With the state of California basically giving out IOU's, and the IRS not being that far behind in doing such things, the wife and I filed as soon as possible this year.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
We all pay close to 50% dummy.

8.75% for almost all of the goods I buy here, something like 9,000% for a gallon of gas/diesel, property tax, the fukking blind govorner wants to tax ski tickets now, it goes on and on.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
I keep what's taken from me high since I do freelance work on the side. Sometimes I get a lot back, others, like this year, not much. This year will be around 30% of what I got last year, and since It won't be much I'll have a little fun with it, don't know what yet.

But due to a problem with my late stepfather's disability checks I'll be getting a nice chunk of money from Social Security that 2/3rds of will be put in savings and the rest for some more fun.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We have to pay $565 but get back $700 from the state. Can that be right? :think:

How the F' are yall getting so much bacK?
We got $3k from fed and owe state $94. I always owe state, but the new house write offs will be nice next year.

Both of us are students, single income +2 dependents. So student loan interest + kids + child care = $$$ from the feds.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I started claiming 0 2 years ago even though I have 2 kids. I don't reall miss the 15 or 20 bucks more a week that they take out and I get it all back at tax time. I use it as sort of "mad money" fund. I don't owe any money to anyone, own both my vehicles, have a credit card but pay it off frequently throughout the year. This year I think we got back around 3000. I finished up some bike projects, bought some specialty tools that are blue in color, filled freezers and pantry and put some away.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
What are you claiming as deductions?
the standard 10k(i guess that is what you are talking about).
we rent.
have two incomes.
no mortgage (rent says that i suppose).
not students anymore. *damn*
no kids.
using turbo tax.

still doesnt seem right. :bonk:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the standard 10k(i guess that is what you are talking about).
we rent.
have two incomes.
no mortgage (rent says that i suppose).
not students anymore. *damn*
no kids.
using turbo tax.

still doesnt seem right. :bonk:
You need to rent some dependents!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i only had about $600 in federal tax withheld but i got $1030 back. it went straight into the money market fund, about the only thing that makes money. eventually i'll tap this fund to pay for moving costs in june/july and a new scooter. :)

retroactive stimulus/rebate + EIC + tuition credit FTW. washington has no state income tax.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I got my first refund 2 weeks ago, I file my amended return next month to claim my $8k (not a loan) new home buyer credit.

I was going to claim the $7500 loan, but the $8k credit is not a loan and starts after the 4th.

You dont need to refile for that, and the new setup still isnt official, we discussed that with our tax guy quite thoroughly, if and wehn it becomes official that its no longer a loan but a grant, it will be prorated as to when yo purchased, can possibly be up to 10k, and you dont have to refile for it to change, you will be notified Via snail mail of coarse about any changes to your plan from the FTB and the IRS.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Booge, quick question, How the F%ck did you lose your stimulus check last year, only way that is supposed to be able to happen was if someone had a lean on you, or you owed back taxes, it was supposed to be safe from current taxs.

Oh and TN, we get that much because we bought a house, and DOnated an ASSLOAD of stuff to charities.

Do yourself a favor, stop using TT, find yourself a tax guy/girl, that will ALWAYS start off with long form, and go through to find out if that gets you more.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The soon to be ex-wife and I have agreed to split the return, whatever it is.

If I get any, its funding my birthday trip to Whistler.
I suspect her mother/lawyer/cunt on ice is going to tell her to keep it all, saying its going towards our "community debt" and leave me dick in the wind again.

2009 is going to be teh suck.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
getting almost $3k back. using a good chunk of it to get some needed repairs done on both vehicles. $500 or so per year in repairs on a paid for van is better than $400 per month in car payments ;)
the rest is going to savings and/or new clothes for the kiddos to replace the highwaters they're wearing now. i gotta stop feeding them!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
What did you claim for deduction? 1? 0? &#960;?
We got absolutely screwed on our '07 taxes (moved but couldn't deduct moving expenses, wife's consulting got taxed 2x for both NY and WI, etc) so we both upped our withholdings (married but at the higher rate, zero deductions, extra money per paycheck, etc) at the end of '07. We cut back some on the extra money held per paycheck, but then bought a house and the whole deductions thing changed and it became clear when we did our '08 taxes that we were still withholding *way* too much.

So now we're shooting for the "owe something, but not enough to get hit with the penalty" for this year instead. I'd rather have the money in the bank earning (a paltry 1.8% :rant:) interest than handing it to the gov't as an interest-free loan.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I'd rather have the money in the bank earning (a paltry 1.8% :rant:) interest than handing it to the gov't as an interest-free loan.
i'm the same way. i manage to pay less than $500 in fed taxes this year out of my paycheck but somehow get $2k back from fed/$1k state. my coworkers get huge returns but they get hit hard every two weeks on their paycheck. i'd much rather pocket the money than give it away as a loan.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I did too good of a job balancing my exemptions and donations. I'm only getting $350... That being said, I've had full access to my money all year. You suckers getting large returns got screwed on interest all year.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I did too good of a job balancing my exemptions and donations. I'm only getting $350... That being said, I've had full access to my money all year. You suckers getting large returns got screwed on interest all year.
i make little enough/put away enough pretax that i got almost twice as much back as a return as i had withheld in the first place. 80% return is better than any savings accounts i know of, and we all know how the markets did.

redistribution ftw. :biggrin:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yes, because if I had put it with my 401k I could have lost an additional 30% :rofl:

I was actually shocked at how much I got back.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I wil have to cut a check to the government. I'd rather have that cash in my pocket for the year than in theirs.

Anyone that is getting a check back should be pissed - that was just an interest-free loan that you gave to the government.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
I don't know if "pissed" is the appropriate reaction. Maybe "I think I'll change my withholdings based on what I now know"....or, "I'm not particularly responsible when it comes to saving money and being hit with a tax bill at the end of the fiscal year would ruin me".

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I don't know if "pissed" is the appropriate reaction. Maybe "I think I'll change my withholdings based on what I now know"....or, "I'm not particularly responsible when it comes to saving money and being hit with a tax bill at the end of the fiscal year would ruin me".
when you actually do the math, it's not really that big of a deal. if you figure 1.8% savings rate on the $2k that people are getting back, you're looking at a whopping $18 interest for the year that you're missing out on. or about that, anyway, I'm too lazy to go down to the last penny. it's more on the principal of the thing...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yes, because if I had put it with my 401k I could have lost an additional 30% :rofl:

I was actually shocked at how much I got back.
I've been maxing my 401k all year, but allocated to mmkt. I'm making 1%, but it's safe funds for when I re-balance back into equity.

Saving money and investing it wisely are separate things...

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
when you actually do the math, it's not really that big of a deal. if you figure 1.8% savings rate on the $2k that people are getting back, you're looking at a whopping $18 interest for the year that you're missing out on. or about that, anyway, I'm too lazy to go down to the last penny. it's more on the principal of the thing...
I know people who actually...wait for it....take 0 deductions in their withholding so that their refund checks were bigger.

And $18 is 3 good 6-packs on sale. If the economy was actually doing well, it would be a lot more. $2K could get you $100 on a good year.