Quantcast

The Trader Joe's Thread

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
A nice thought... but what do you get "local" in WI during the winter? Cheese and milk? I guess you could live on that for 4 months...

Yeah shrink wrapped produce is dee-lish. :rolleyes:

We get a market basket from Growing Power (google it) every week but still sadly have to supplement our produce with grocery store veggies but we shop at a local grocer.

Pics of growing powers aquaponics operation. they also farm perch & tilapia.

Vermiculture setup & the kids La teaches to cook & eat healthy.

And in the summer we get our produce from one of the best farmer markets in the country.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah shrink wrapped produce is dee-lish. :rolleyes:

We get a market basket from Growing Power (google it) every week but still sadly have to supplement our produce with grocery store veggies but we shop at a local grocer.
:busted: :busted:

During the winter months, produce comes from:

* Growing Power's greenhouses in Milwaukee;
* The Rainbow Farmer's Cooperative, relying on our farmers in the South and on storage crops such as onions, potatoes, and sweet potatoes; and
* Small-scale, locally or family owned wholesalers such as Goodness Greeness in Chicago. These whole salers keep fresh fruits and vegetables not grown locally during the winter, such as apples, head lettuce, and peppers, available and affordable year-round and provide local jobs in our community -- the very essence of a Community Food System.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
blah blah blah----:blah::blah::blah:
My point was our dollars are kept here in the area, Poindexter.

We do eat local eggs & cheese. Would you like me take a pic of the dairy & chicken farm they come from?

Did you not read this part..."...and provide local jobs in our community -- the very essence of a Community Food System."

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

We do eat local eggs & cheese. Would you like me take a pic of the dairy & chicken farm they come from?

Did you not read this part..."...and provide local jobs in our community -- the very essence of a Community Food System."
You frikkin' hippy. :D

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I'm with you, but where I live nothing grows but mint leaf and sagebrush. Not a well-rounded diet. Trader Joes is great - but not for produce.