Quantcast

The ultimate mtb nerd doc

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Just stumbled upon the ultimate mtb nerd doc I have found so far.
A dissertation titled "Multibody simulation based bicycle design" by Philipp Ingenlath.
Unfortunately you have to sprechen Deutsch. I hope there will be some bad weather and my kids out of the house in the near future so I can read it. Looks very promising.

Maybe somebody likes to give any translation software a try.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Nerdy! But: "The utilised rider model however only covers untrained/inexpert riders" from the abstract in English, doesn’t sound too reassuring to me. I can be wrong tho, I have been before and I likely will be again :brows:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Yeah, that's also in his summary. The reason given is the slight difficulty to model a skilled riders movement on the bike in the simulation. They all tend to be like :banana:when riding.
But nevertheless haven't I seen such efforts simulating the whole system and predicting the behaviour of it in a real scientific way.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Phil certainly looks next fucken level nerd
philipp-ingenlath.1024x1024.jpg

Sometimes it's probably best just to ride your bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The math, charts, and variables are all very recognizable until about page 77. Chance I could understand a good chunk of this in an English version. Which is extraordinarily rare for an academic paper. I guess a thesis allows room for explanation compared to condensing that down to a 2 page journal submission.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Sometimes it's probably best just to ride your bike.
Or write your PhD thesis on something that actually interests you if you're going to do it anyway. Phil now works on managing vibrations on vacuum cleaners, at least he got his doctorate for going all Sunn Chippie on his bike.

telemetrie.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Or write your PhD thesis on something that actually interests you if you're going to do it anyway. Phil now works on managing vibrations on vacuum cleaners, at least he got his doctorate for going all Sunn Chippie on his bike.
One of my ex's has 2 Phds. Both massively pointless. Partly why she's an ex. I was actually a "subject" in the first. 50hours of my life I'll never get back.
Have you ever seen a bound copy of anyone's Phd which wasn't purchased by the author?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Funny but the exact opposite. Journal papers I have read assume you have expertise in all of the required background knowledge of the topic and usually only cover the unique aspects of the research.

The executive version would be a colorful cartoon glossing over the details making bold promises assuming the reader is an idiot. In this case promising to be able to design bikes 100% by analysis with zero funding required for prototypes and testing.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Journal papers I have read assume you have expertise in all of the required background knowledge of the topic and usually only cover the unique aspects of the research.
or cover something already covered elsewhere. Most academic nerds aren't all that original

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
or cover something already covered elsewhere. Most academic nerds aren't all that original

Same thing with patents. There is nothing novel or unique about any bike suspension linkage. The technology behind them has been known for a century, there are just good ideas and bad ones. In a linkage synthesis class I took we actually went over algorithms for 'patent breaking', how to get a linkage to perform like another but exist outside the limits of the patent.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The academic system is sadly going this way. Quantity over quality with publications. No matter of how much impact your paper has, if someone else has 5 in the same timeframe, they will get the job/grant/honors. Therefore people publish "progress reports" instead of waiting until they have a groundbreaking story. We call it LPU (least publishable unit).