Quantcast

The Zerode thread

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada

So the original "Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ" thread was started in '09, when the bike was just a prototype. Since then a lot has changed. Discussion has spilled over into the "which frame have best roll over features for rough terrain" and "Zerode or Jedi?" threads, but I think it's high time for a dedicated new thread; a place for owners to discuss their rides. Build questions, custom modifications, setup tricks, etc.

After lusting after Zerodes for years, I finally got one. I bought a used one off the Canadian rep, and am very very stoked. Coming from a Demo 7 with a 2010 888, I was blown away by the suspension. My favourite hill is Cypress Mountain, and for those that know it, it's pretty rough and steep. The bike just kills it.

2012-11-11 18.00.36.jpg

The bike came nicely built with a customized 888 Evo Ti (VA removed, oil height up), Ti-bolt kit, Saint wheels, Code brakes. I swapped out the bars, grips and pedals (my own Carve brand).

Some things I have planned for the bike include:

- Changing out the rear cog from the 20T it came with to something bigger. Likely a 23T. I am a freerider not a racer. Of course I will have to lengthen the chain accordingly. I've already made one on the waterjet, but the splines are a little tight so I'm going to remake it.

- CNC machining a new front chainring that is Zerode/Saint specific. I plan to eliminate the white spacer ring by making the chainring the right thickness in the tab areas, and also eliminate the female chainring nuts by tapping the chainring directly.

- Swapping the Alfine shifter for a modified x9 shifter.

- Servicing the Alfine gearbox with an ATF dip.

- Plus a few other secret mods I'll share later.

Hope Rob and Zerode have a good luck with the switch of manufacturers.
One day hopefully we'll see the all-mountain version, and maybe both bikes in carbon.

Really sad about Dodzy.

Anyways, just wanted to share.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Don't go bigger than 23tooth or it'll foul on the tensioner. Even 23t is close at static. I run a 23t myself.
You can swap the white spacer for smaller ally spacers, although one piece would be cool, and maybe stiffer.
Does your Alfine have the modified bleed nipple?
I thought I started a post your Zerode thread, but can't find it:think:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Shock settings with a CCDB they work pretty well in Rock filled terrain. The trails we ride are 90% rock so keep that in mind. I went full negative and then went positive. Keep in mind the High Speed will only turn about 1/2 a turn at a time. So that 5 is more like 2.5 full rotations! I am a slow expert/fast sport rider BTW.

+5 HSC

+16 LSC

+6 HSR

+17 LSR

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Don't go bigger than 23tooth or it'll foul on the tensioner. Even 23t is close at static. I run a 23t myself.
You can swap the white spacer for smaller ally spacers, although one piece would be cool, and maybe stiffer.
Does your Alfine have the modified bleed nipple?
I thought I started a post your Zerode thread, but can't find it:think:
Thanks NSM, that's good advice on the cog. I had heard of someone around here using 23T. I was originally planning 22, but then realized that that's only a 10% change, which is less than one gear in the alfine. I rarely get above gear 4 or 5 max.

No I don't have the bleed nipple. That would have been a good mod. My bike is one of the first batch (white) that had been stripped and polished. I think that change came with the anodized versions. I wonder if Rob would sell me the part and I could do the mod.

Zerode Europe has this excellent information on their site:

Q. What are the differences between the new 2012 and 2011 Zerode
A.The changes are

Lighter rocker.
Lighter alfine output sprocket.
Material removed from various parts to save weight.
Anodized finish instead of powder coat.
ABS plastic bash guard, lighter and not as fragile as the carbon version.
Factory fitted 63.5 degree headset angle cups.
Oil filler/drain hole in Alfine casing for servicing / oil changes.
Weight savings will be around 600 grams

Q. What size chain ring is needed?
A. 32 T , all other required sprockets are supplied.

Q. How does the range of the gearbox compare to my standard block?
A.The 8 Speed Gearbox has 310% range. Very similar to a standard 11/27 block with a 36 tooth front chain ring.

Q.What headset do I need if the bike comes with pre fitted angle cups?
A.We recommend FSA Orbit IS-2 CC headset as you can buy it without the cups.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
as far as the gear ratios on the zerode, can you decrease the size of the chainring at the crank (and?) alfine to gain ground clearance at the chainring? AFAIK the smallest cog that can be run on the alfine is a 16t because of the attachment to the hub prevents anything smaller, but why not go to like a 26-16 and make up for it on the secondary chain? it would be pretty cool to increase the ground clearance for chainring strikes. too much input torque on the alfine? people are running some low ratios on the alfine on fat bikes and such. or perhaps there could be chain clearance issues with the frame? just thinking out loud is all. I have an alfine 8 coming in the mail and it's not for a wheel or a zerode.

what are the tooth counts on the alfine on the zerode, input and output? sounds like 32t at the crank is standard and between 18 and 23t at the rear hub but what is being ran on the alfine itself?

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Recommended input ratios for the Alfine are about 2:1, so that would put the torque outside the range.
32T is the smallest ring that will fit on the Saint cranks.
Also, I've been finding that it is not the chainring that limits ground clearance, it's the lower shock mount and the carbon shock guard.

At the Alfine it's 16T input and 26T out.

I have an alfine 8 coming in the mail and it's not for a wheel or a zerode.
??? ;)

The .pdf Zerode manual available at http://www.zerodeeurope.com is very helpful and has all the tooth counts.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
You could use Profile cranks or similar, but there's no need really.
The double barrel has better ground clearance than the RC4, you could make a higher shock guard if you had issues with it. For the cost of spare guards, I'd just run the stock ones.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Im running a custom plastic guard. Only gained a hair more clearence but was able to make it way thicker and stronger. Additiomally i got a better impact angle so it slides rather than sticks. Cased the windham wc jump to it so it does hold up. If anybody wants to get one send me a PM can probably get my friend to make another

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I want a little lower gearing too. I wanna be able to ride the Zerode up gravel roads when I have to.

So 23T rear works, but you have to add a link?

Any pics? What chain ring are you running on the rear? Pics to see the tension?

I've got a ton of new stock carbon and plastic shock covers if anyone wants one.

Last edited:

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
The newer ones in black are stunning. Has anyone with a zerode come from a Sunday? How do the ride characteristics compare? Very interested in getting one when I've got the cash.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
If it's more than £700 ($1200) then I'm afraid I'll have to pass! (University student)

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Very interested in getting one when I've got the cash.
If it's more than £700 ($1200) then I'm afraid I'll have to pass! (University student)
Usually when someone says "I've got the cash" it means they'll pay whatever it takes. So next time you should say "I've got the cash...as long as it's less than £700."

Last edited:

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
zerode side1.jpg

Yeah Zerodes Rule! this is my G1 powder coated black before it had its offset headset put in.
at the moment its living in a box in NZ waiting to get shipped out to Europe when summer hits. I miss it so much.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Are you seriously selling your current rig based on the promise of a new shipment from a small bike manufacturer? :shocked:
Well TBH, they will be making them soon, and first day of riding is around April 15th, I am in no rush. Zerode is a great company with great products. Bsides, I have other stuff to ride anyway should i need it

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
And completely lowered the instant center of the suspension while eliminating brake levers in favor of 'mind brakes'

Mind brakes ride much lighter than they really are.
Plenty of changes 3 sizes is all I am saying for now. I will let Tim Eaton know that you think the bike is too heavy and he should not have won the Australian Elite overall. :)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
WTF did I ever say about weight of those things? I was just making fun of the internet.

The only thing I know about those bikes I learned when I stalked some austrailian guy at whistler last year following him down some garbonzo/original sin/no joke combo.

All I know about those bikes is that they're really quiet and that australians ride like they're drunk.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
All I know about those bikes is that they're really quiet and that australians ride like they're drunk.
What do you mean "like" we're drunk?

Saw quite a few of these in Queenstown but didn't manage to steal one for a day of runs like I wanted to.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
WTF did I ever say about weight of those things? I was just making fun of the internet.

The only thing I know about those bikes I learned when I stalked some austrailian guy at whistler last year following him down some garbonzo/original sin/no joke combo.

Was he Italian looking(shaved head)in an Orange kit on white Zerode?