Quantcast

These guys are looking for any reason to hate America...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Thousands Denounce U.S. in Baghdad Shi'ite Protest
Wed Aug 13,12:52 PM ET

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Thousands of Shi'ite Muslims poured into the streets of a Baghdad neighborhood Wednesday to denounce U.S. troops who they said had defiled a religious school by flying low in a helicopter, which struck its flag.

"No, no to America!" shouted protesters who flooded the streets of a sprawling suburb populated mainly by poor Shi'ites, who form a long-oppressed majority of Iraq's population.

Arab television aired film showing a U.S. helicopter flying low over a tower where a black flag was flying. Its wheel appeared to touch the religious banner.

A military spokesman said he knew of no incidents in the area.

A Shi'ite cleric in the neighborhood said U.S. troops had defiled a sacred place, and demanded they stay away.

"We request that no American soldier enter this city. The presence of American soldiers shakes security and causes terrorism. This is an aggression on the sacred Muslim places," Sheikh Qays told Reuters.

The area was known as Saddam City under Saddam Hussein, who maintained a tradition of oppressing the Shi'ite majority, but locals now call it Sadr City after a prominent late cleric.

Most leaders of Iraq's Shi'ites, who account for about 60 percent of Iraq's 26 million people, have largely avoided confrontation with their country's occupiers, and some work with a U.S.-appointed council aimed at forming an Iraqi government.

Washington has made clear, however, that it disapproves of suggestions by some Shi'ite clerics that Iraq should follow the theocratic style of government adopted by Shi'ite Iran.

Shi'ites form an overwhelming majority in southern Iraq, where violent protests directed partly against British occupying forces disrupted the second city of Basra this week.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
If another countries army was in charge here I would hate them. After all they have spent all of their lives being messed about by people with guns. The idea that the people with guns are now trying to help isn't just going to pop into their heads because the man with a gun has a certain flag on his uniform or is less brutal than the previous men with guns. I sure would not like to be the man who has to make sure it all ends well. Must take an increadable ammount of something to believe you can go into a country like that and come out at the end with anything but a mess.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by D_D
Must take an increadable ammount of something to believe you can go into a country like that and come out at the end with anything but a mess.
*buzz*

What is weed, Alex?

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Originally posted by Silver
Did we find one yet? I haven't been following the news lately...:D
Well they won`t come out and say the O word :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ,and how about The Prez and his idea one the forrest fire problem ,just cut the trees down :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: ;) ;)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I see now that the US has apologised for the incident. I mean it may even be possible that these guys had a legitimate beef:rolleyes: