Quantcast

THICK mountain jumper

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
The frame was made by Chris at Thick Bikes in near by Pittsburgh. Made from 4130 steel, it has FBM inspired drop outs, Bontrager style gussets welded all the way around, a pierced toptube which extends to gusset and support the seatstays, and the right chainstay is partially composed of a bent slab of 1/4" thick 4130 chrome-moly plate for tons of clearance. Chris is an excellent builder and it really shows in this frame with its unique features.

The bike was in need of some pimping when I got it so I added Profile cranks with an Odyssey million dollar sproket and KHE half link chain, King headset, Black Market stem and bars with Straitline end caps, Eastern Mangesium pedals (495g), and a Profile dj seat.

I haven't gotten to give it a proper ride yet (its cold out), but the geometry feels spot on and super solid.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Gorgeous bike. Enjoy!

Good to see a THICK bike on here. Chris is a smart, skilled (and very funny) fella whose been building bikes, handlebars and other assorted goodies for about ten years. I'm really excited about his return (of sorts) to mtn bikes.

See more about THICK here: http://www.thickbikes.com/index.html

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
welcome to the world of dirt jumps bikes.

very cool selection.

the angles looks like 71 parallel

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Yep, the sprocket is an Odyssey million dollar sprocket with optional secondary bolt-on guard.
The frame weighs about 7 lbs, I am guessing as built it weighs in the low 30's.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
How large of a 26" tire can you fit on there with the driveside plate style chainstay?
And... at how short of a chainstay with that large a tire?
Wonder if Chris would ever do non-singlespeed rear drops and to tabs on the BB?
Hmmm....

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
How large of a 26" tire can you fit on there with the driveside plate style chainstay?
And... at how short of a chainstay with that large a tire?
Wonder if Chris would ever do non-singlespeed rear drops and to tabs on the BB?
Hmmm....
Chris builds every one by hand from scratch and cuts the dropouts per the customer's requests... If that is what you would want I am (not positive but) pretty sure that he would do that for you! :thumb:

about your question, not sure about the tire size but a quick email to him will most likely get you all the info you want! If he or Larry are in the shop, they will reply pretty quickly!

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Nice photo site! Do you take images of all of your bikes at that location? Nice build!
I'd be looking to do a 2.5 in the rear at 16" or under chainstays. and a 5" fork minimum. Raise the seat up for a little trail hustling, lower it down for other stuff.
Got to do a new fully build first though....

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
As pictured the chainstays measure just over 16". The shortest they can go is about 15 5/8". The tires on it are 2.3, so a 2.5 tire should fit. Like mentioned earlier every bike Chris builds is a custom one off bike, so it could be built entirely to your specifications. Glad you like it!