Quantcast

Thinking about an East Coast bike trip...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The wife and I are thinking about going on an east coast road trip this spring/summer to get in a bunch of riding and to see a lot of our good friends out on the east coast.

We were kicking around the idea of starting in North Carolina to see my buddy Rob, get in some riding, driving up to Virginia for Massanutten, head to WV to ride the Shoe, then heading up to Diablo for the open, finishing the week up at the Highland Bike Park.

Here's what I need to know:
1. Where is there in NC to do some lift assisted DH the first week in May?
2. What between there and Massanutten should we hit?
3. Anything mind blowing between Snowshoe and Diablo?
4. Beyond Highland is there anywhere we have to go?

I figured we'd bring out XC and DH bikes, maybe my dirt jumper or Nomad thrown in for giggles.

I think we're going to do the whole Cruise America RV rental thing, spending quality time with each other as we will not have seen one another in 8 months.

Hook me up with some advice, words of wisdom, deep sage like thoughts, I really appreciate it.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
I would say try and hit up Windrock. Its about 4 hours from the mountains here in NC. Just curious cause I know a couple Robs in NC, what is his last name? Anyway Windrock is one of the best spots in the east it would be a shame to only be 4 hours from some of the best riding the east coast has to offer and not hit it up, you have to shuttle yourself but it is worth it. As far as lift assisted riding in NC there is 26 West near Asheville, and Sugar Mnt. (lifts are really slow), and Im not really sure on months they are open. Pretty sure 26 would be open then, not sure about Sugar they only open for a couple months and its only one trail.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The wife is no where near ready for Windrock. If it was just me, I'd be all about making another trip there, but this trip is for us to spend time, ride bikes, see the rest of Team Fat Kids east.

My buddy Rob isn't down there yet. Right now he lives in B-More, but he's coming down that way around the beginning of the year.

Reading, PA you say? Hmmm, self shuttle might be an issue in the RV, but who knows, have done dumber things.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
That's what I was thinking. I've ridden there I think? Is that where they held the NC State Champs a couple years back?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Self shuttle Pisgah in NC, clemsons track, etsu track in tenn, sugar mtn

Plattekill and Bromont should be added to that trip.

7 springs is between snowshoe and diablo and if the rumors are true, next season should be well worth it!

Where in bmore does your friend live, I need to find more riders!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you have the time, Whiteface up in Lake PLacid, NY is AWESOME. Definitely worth the side trip.

I'll second Platty. I still need to go to Bromont.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
That's what I was thinking. I've ridden there I think? Is that where they held the NC State Champs a couple years back?
Yeah same place, allot different now. More trails, more features. Really chill place to go ride, Ryan and crew have done a great job so far. And hopefully by next year they will have the chair lift set up to take bikes to the top.

DORO

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
you cant pass through ma. without hitting up vietnam and lynn woods. bring your nomad for sure for these places.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Reading, PA you say? Hmmm, self shuttle might be an issue in the RV, but who knows, have done dumber things.
let me know if you wanna hit up Reading. im local here and can help with the shuttle runs....a RV could work too, but it would be slow going up the mountain

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Plattekill is worth it if you're on the road and at diablo. It's an hour and a half north, and they allow camping. You can't be an east coast downhiller and not go to the place where it really began...

Jiminy is on the way, but I wouldn't label it as a major destination. Definitely fun if you have time.

Whiteface is superb and wicked long. Go there.

Bromont has world class terrain. Go there.

Sunday river and Attitash are also available, but I can't attest to how good they are.

Highland is wicked, bring the nomad.

If I were you, I'd head up from nc to snowshoe/massanutten, up to diablo, up to plattekill, whiteface, bromont, then back down through sunday river and highland.

Diablo, whiteface, and bromont are open during the week certain parts of the year.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Don't forget to check on the days these places are open/closed while charting your route.

IE, Whiteface/Killington is 7 days a week, Platty is weekends only. etc and so on.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Plattekill is worth it if you're on the road and at diablo. It's an hour and a half north, and they allow camping. You can't be an east coast downhiller and not go to the place where it really began...

Jiminy is on the way, but I wouldn't label it as a major destination. Definitely fun if you have time.

Whiteface is superb and wicked long. Go there.

Bromont has world class terrain. Go there.

Sunday river and Attitash are also available, but I can't attest to how good they are.

Highland is wicked, bring the nomad.

If I were you, I'd head up from nc to snowshoe/massanutten, up to diablo, up to plattekill, whiteface, bromont, then back down through sunday river and highland.

Diablo, whiteface, and bromont are open during the week certain parts of the year.
Don't forget to check on the days these places are open/closed while charting your route.

IE, Whiteface/Killington is 7 days a week, Platty is weekends only. etc and so on.
you cant pass through ma. without hitting up vietnam and lynn woods. bring your nomad for sure for these places.
Yeah...what they said! ;)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Wilson's Creek. It's part of the Pisgah National Forrest north of Morganton, NC.

That's the place I was referring to in your post about not wanting to do long rides.

As far as DH in NC, it has some of the more challenging trails and is shuttle friendly.

But don't even think about riding there by yourself. The trail system is not marked very well and getting lost would be easy to do. Go with someone who knows the area.

I'd choose Wilson's over Snowshoe any day.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The wife expanded the parameters when I spoke to her this morning in Afghan land.

She wants to start in Savannah, drive to Charleston to surf with some friends, then keep trucking to VB to see some more friends and ride a trail we helped build there, then truck it to Massanutten, do that race, drive up to Diablo that next week, then up to points north.

Now I have to work out how to fit the trip into two weeks instead of three. Damn Navy rules about "we have to have a doctor for the squadron..."

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I don't think killington opens until the July 4th weekend. If you do make it up there I'd recommend meeting up with someone who knows their way around, there is a lot of terrain and the good stuff is a little harder to find then most places.

Attitash has a lot to offer for its size; lots of steep, technical, tight runs and there always seems to be a relatively short lift line. Never made it to sunday river so I can't comment. Ive seen Whiteface from a distance and riding from the summit seems epic. The mountain is huge and has a great expanding trail network from what I've heard.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I think I've decided against doing the open.
Why spend the cash for a race I know I am not fast enough to qualify for?

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
If you going to make it all the way to Highland it would probably be worth the 2 hour drive to Kingdonm Trails in VT for some great XC

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Going to need to start putting up a map for suggestions on this adventure.