Quantcast

This guy hucking a 20footer 360 on a Pike?

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
There is a good steep transition there...If it was to a flat landing i bet it would break unless your Hans Rey trials expert..

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
bigdrop05 said:
There is a good steep transition there...If it was to a flat landing i bet it would break unless your Hans Rey trials expert..
Kinda puts the whole "Pike is only an AllMountain fork" arguement down the drain. Steep tranny or not. A 20 foot 360 drop is some serious schit!

I've taken mine pretty big, but not like that.

I bet he likes the lighter Pike for those 360 drops!

Dec 6, 2004
Santa cruz Mountains
well thats cam zink on his slopestyle run. i dont think that trailer drop was 20ft either. i tihnk it was a little smaller, i guess it depends on were you land on the tranny.
pikes are tough they can handle it.

downhill66

Monkey
Aug 23, 2005
doing somthing....
bigdrop05 said:
i agree. and also i have seen vids of triles riders do stuff like 15 to flat and their all good.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
DownhillnDunkey said:
well thats cam zink on his slopestyle run. i dont think that trailer drop was 20ft either. i tihnk it was a little smaller, i guess it depends on were you land on the tranny.
pikes are tough they can handle it.
Looks like Kirt Vories to me, but I could be wrong.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Spokompton said:
Kinda puts the whole "Pike is only an AllMountain fork" arguement down the drain. Steep tranny or not. A 20 foot 360 drop is some serious schit!
It is entirely different when you are sponsored by the company that makes the fork and it can be replaced at any time for free. Plus Zink tends to ride super smooth. I am not saying the fork can't hold up to it, but I seriously doubt that it would hold up long if it was repeatedly subject to that type of riding. You also have to wonder if the fork he is riding is the same off the shelf product that you and I can buy. Chances are good it is not.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Salami said:
It is entirely different when you are sponsored by the company that makes the fork and it can be replaced at any time for free. Plus Zink tends to ride super smooth. I am not saying the fork can't hold up to it, but I seriously doubt that it would hold up long if it was repeatedly subject to that type of riding. You also have to wonder if the fork he is riding is the same off the shelf product that you and I can buy. Chances are good it is not.
Is the monkey in your avatar doing what I think it is?

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
That picture just goes to show that you don't need a huge bike and ultra-burly components to go big, as long as you have the skills and always land on a good tranny. For this reason, I'm switching from my faithful 01 Monster T to a 66 this season. People that just need to drop everything in sight definitely need more than a Pike for a fork. It perplexes some of my riding partners when I won't do say a 10 foot slow-speed drop with a moderate tranny but I will do a high speed step down with more than 10 feet of drop and a better tranny on my hardtail. I think in the next few years freeride bikes are going to continue to get a lot more nimble and lightweight, with less travel, and it's already starting with the pros.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
kail said:
That picture just goes to show that you don't need a huge bike and ultra-burly components to go big, as long as you have the skills and always land on a good tranny. For this reason, I'm switching from my faithful 01 Monster T to a 66 this season. People that just need to drop everything in sight definitely need more than a Pike for a fork. It perplexes some of my riding partners when I won't do say a 10 foot slow-speed drop with a moderate tranny but I will do a high speed step down with more than 10 feet of drop and a better tranny on my hardtail. I think in the next few years freeride bikes are going to continue to get a lot more nimble and lightweight, with less travel, and it's already starting with the pros.
Well that;s the thing. Is a man made obstacle course of drops and jumps really "freeride"?

I found freeride to me about hucking off natural stuff that hasn't been groomed by humans. It's more gnarly and conditions are often less than ideal.

What we have is a movement towards man made freeride that's smooth, thus the push for lighter weight bikes.

Steel steerer in the Race`and Sl models is THICK. Belongs on a 66 fork! It's obvious they expected people to huck these suckers, or at least ride huge dirt jumps on them.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Cam does to 20'+ 360 in the nwd6 trailer, but more amazing than the pike is the fact he's dropping that on what looks like blur 4x with 115mm of rear travel.

edit: on review i don't think it's 20', but large nonetheless

theFOOT

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
nowhere
more like 30 pinkbike feet!

The thing about the pro's bikes becoming smaller and more nible, you have to realize a lot of the competitions are trying to encorporate both big drops and street style tricks, so their bikes are more of a compromise so that they can complete both of these tasks, a majority of the riders were riding 4-6 inch travel "all mountain" bikes set up for major abuse.