Quantcast

This is a call to all Northwest fat-tire riders:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
DesuL said:
So BBTC will get $$ for each volunteer that shows up? Thats pretty cool. What day is this?
*copy/pasted* from BBTC.ORG

Eastlake Starbucks Sponsored Work Party at Colonnade 3/25
Have we got a treat for you... join us on site at Colonnade on Saturday March 25th from 10 am to 2pm as the Eastlake Starbucks treats us to free coffee, pastries... and money! That's right folks, for every hour that you put in at the work party, BBTC gets paid $10/hour for your time... a great way to support the project. The more people that show up, the more money we bring in!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
DesuL said:
Sorry if I offended anyone I took my long week and injured downtime out on the keyboard.
No need to apologize...

There is no hate here, there are just ideas and debate. The internet can seem more acute than if we all were in a coffee shop blabbin about it...

But at any rate i feel strongly that people on bikes (all kinds) focus more on positive goals instead of nitpicking at each other (which is our history, and still happens from all ends unfortunately), we'll all benefit with awesome opportunities to make Seattle a true "cycling" mecca.(dirka dirka!)

Using the webbe boards to express ideas is the beauty of the internet haha, anyone want some more cheese? Everyone here knows i can make more cheesy proclamations, haha.

haha howzabout this for cheese....

Unite the clans! Unite us!!!

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
I'll ask the trail designer about the bermed turns question and post a reply up here in a couple days. My job on this project is raising money (another $109k to be exact), not trail design, so I need to do some research and make sure I know what Mr. T is planning with this part of his design.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
I chatted with Art, the trail designer, about the turns in the novice area and got some great info from him. Here's some of what he told me about the design of the switchbacks:

• The trails will be one-way, so some of the turns are designed for climbing and others for descending.
  • Some of the turns are banked (go look at them), they're not bermed aggressively, but banked based on the intended speed of the corner. The goal was to have the rider's bike perpendicular with the ground as they're riding.
  • The steepness and radius of the turns are designed based on direction (up vs. down) and speed. For example, slower turns are tighter, and descending turns are steeper.

Come out to a workparty sometime, especially a smaller one, and work with a crewleader on the trails. This is a great way for us to get your input on how we're building the trails, and also can give you a really good idea of how the park is being designed.

Another important point is that this will be a "living" park. After it is completed it will evolve over time. We'll make adjustments based on changing riding styles and based on what we've learned about how to build the best features.

And some eye candy:

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
It ride both xc and freeride and I've always felt that riders get along. We all have the same needs - basically trail access. BBTC does great things and I've been upset that my work schedule has been way too full all winter, but it's now opened up and I'll make it down to help. Thanks guys!

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
SO the BBTC website says all 25 volunteer slots have been filled. Does this mean its all covered?

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Yeah, the work party is going to be huge and we've had great response! There are also a dozen+ additional folks from Starbucks that will be showing up to help so we'll easily reach the maximun daily donation from Starbucks. We have to cut it off at a certain point since we need a crew leader for each 5-8 volunteers, and we also have to make sure we've got enough tools for everyone.

I want to give a HUGE thanks to Starbucks for this grant program and to the Starbucks Eastlake store for supporting the park and helping us organize this work party.

Don't forget we have at least 2 work parties every week, so come on out next time! We'll also have more of these large sponsored workparties in the future - definitely a couple more with Starbucks and some with other companies such as Microsoft, AT&T, Safeco, REI and others. It's really cool that these big, local corporations have community service programs that can help us build trails and parks.

Things are really starting to get rolling. Thanks for rallying around this project!

Justin
justin@bbtc.org
206-524-2900 (BBTC World Headquarters)

Jun 18, 2004
juice said:
... We have to cut it off at a certain point since we need a crew leader for each 5-8 volunteers, and we also have to make sure we've got enough tools for everyone.

justin@bbtc.org
206-524-2900 (BBTC World Headquarters)
so show up early and bring a shovel?

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
For the trials section, we'll be bringing in some boulders from a place like Marenakos. There will be a limit to the size of the boulders we get since they need to be placed with a boom-truck that has weight limits. Art, the trail designer, is in contact with a bunch of folks from the local trials scene and I'm looking forward to what they come up with.

I'm going to make a predicition - with the creation of some good trials features in this park we'll build up the trials scene and some local kids are goind to be killing it at national trials comps within a few years. My delusional imagination get's going a bit nutty at times...
the trials section is going to be tight we already are riding at marenakos on the rocks ahh its so sick! theres already bin some throwing down at national comps (test of metal, keysville,ass over teakettle) thats just some of them. heres two pictures of marenakos i took the one of the rock and rider out of focus the aki took the one of me and jerry

i took this one
[/IMG]\

look how much that rock is!

aki took this one

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
Great day at the park, lots of people so lots of work got done. BMX dudes showed up and headed over to thier area to dig.
I'm sore, who's got the hot tub?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Thanks, Tim! I couldn't have taken those pics w/o the hard work that went into the trail. It's looking pretty good by the way!:thumb:

I will for sure be incorporating that area into my commute - it's just barely out of my way, but not enough to where I could leave a little earlier on my way in to work and dink around.

Since I won't be doing much trailwork on my home away from home over the summer, I am hoping I can contribute to what's going on down there.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Thanks, Tim! I couldn't have taken those pics w/o the hard work that went into the trail. It's looking pretty good by the way!:thumb:

I will for sure be incorporating that area into my commute - it's just barely out of my way, but not enough to where I could leave a little earlier on my way in to work and dink around.

Since I won't be doing much trailwork on my home away from home over the summer, I am hoping I can contribute to what's going on down there.
That'd be great. i really think your services could especially be used on some BBTC projects that are coming up on the docket that could use you and your crew's expertise. We really are in the dawn of a new era where government is working with us instead of against us and with some of the hopeful projects in the talking phase there can be alot of local goodness that will really put Seattle on the bikey map.

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
Small crew today. Can't give full report 'cause I had to leave early to help move my grandma to an asisted living place. There's now a log ride.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Looking much better. What I saw there was a bit scary the other day (lots of loose rock) What days will people be working there? My new house is a few blocks away and might have a bit more time to come by and help move stuff around..

Is there a BMX section going on yet? Is a pumptrack area going in or is it mapped out? If its in the plans and I show up with people to work on it can we? Is this something that once we are going on one section and have a plan established we can just show up and work on since im in the neighborhood? (i see the rock is locked up, but talking more about the dirt sections) Saturdays are hard to find time.