Quantcast

This Is JUST Like A ‘Bike’ Mag Article, Circa 2004 or so.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Its a cute looking back at the good old days and I have personally been a big fan of the brand and have owned several Kona's but I wonder if this going back to the good old days is realistic in today's market. I still have a softspot for the brand and got a excited when I saw a girl on a retro Kona from my favourite years that she had made into a cool city bike. Picture for reference

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Its a cute looking back at the good old days and I have personally been a big fan of the brand and have owned several Kona's but I wonder if this going back to the good old days is realistic in today's market. I still have a softspot for the brand and got a excited when I saw a girl on a retro Kona from my favourite years that she had made into a cool city bike. Picture for reference

My NuNu was the metallic goldy yellow color, it was awesome!
It was my first proper MTB, my previous bike had one of those "Not For Offroad Use" decals.
I added a whole bunch of downgrades to it, Rolf wheels, some Funn stem(STS?) that twisted beyond what would seem a safe amount and added the big 100mm Judy XL.
I ruined a good thing.
Until December 2023 that was my last complete new bike, everything has been frame only since the NuNu.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I’ve never owned a Kona, but the first full suspension bike I ever rode was a 5” travel Kona (Stinky Deluxe I think?) at White Ranch on a demo day. I was blown away by how fast and smooth it felt bombing down Belcher compared to my hardtail. Over the years I’ve always kinda snubbed my nose at the brand (primarily because they were historically such “simple” bikes) but they totally had their place. And it wasn’t at the bottom.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Right around the time I joined RM I had just bought my '01 Stinky. Things escalated quickly from there, but that was a solid first "freeride" bike. Just before I bought my first disc brake setup.

PXL_20240427_162641786~2.jpg

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Great thread. Kona will be missed. They'll likely be sold to some Pacific mega-brand, turned into bullshit for 5 years, then re-emerge as something decent like Marin and so many others. I always liked how goofy and honest their bikes were- others were "110% efficient" and kona was just out there for fun, at least it seemed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Great thread. Kona will be missed. They'll likely be sold to some Pacific mega-brand, turned into bullshit for 5 years, then re-emerge as something decent like Marin and so many others. I always liked how goofy and honest their bikes were- others were "110% efficient" and kona was just out there for fun, at least it seemed.
Fro-riders

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The Starfish and Stinky logos/histories really told people where there heads were at…the ‘Anti-Ellsworth’ sentiment in full effect.