Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Back on the Norba circuit, the lads used to call sending the jumps on the 4x track and getting all wadded up “getting Tara’d”… and that was before her life changing crash. Such a fierce, fierce human!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fun Fact: I discovered Ridemonkey because Tara listed it as here favorite website in either some interview or possible something antique like a MySpace page.

I think it is safe to say it is no longer her favorite website.
But probably safe to say Tom is still your friend

1711644154426.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Dunno about in other countries but use of the word "seen" in place of "saw" throughout the UK is generally more down to a person's accent, place of origin/upbringing than a lack of intelligence/education. (although there is also a class element to accent too) And the UK is kinda unique in that for such a small island accent, sayings and language used changes profusely between the East and West, North and South. Changes are gradual and subtle between neighbouring areas but to a local that subtle change is noticeable in as little as every few miles and very noticeably over as little as 30.
Snobbery about poor grammar is one thing. But being a snob over accent actually tends to show the snob up for lack of cultural intelligence/experience.

Last edited:

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Dunno about in other countries but use of the word "seen" in place of "saw" throughout the UK is generally more down to a person's accent, place of origin/upbringing than a lack of intelligence/education. (although there is also a class element to accent too) And the UK is kinda unique in that for such a small island accent, sayings and language used changes profusely between the East and West, North and South. Changes are gradual and subtle between neighbouring areas but to a local that subtle change is noticeable in as little as every few miles and very noticeably over as little as 30.
Snobbery about poor grammar is one thing. But being a snob over accent actually tends to show the snob up for lack of cultural intelligence/experience.
I prefer the midland accent.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Over what?

Plus even the Midlands accent differs quite a bit East to West etc.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Over what?

Plus even the Midlands accent differs quite a bit East to West etc.

Midsea accent would be my guess, or maybe Midair.

When I worked in the UK for a month I was surprised and befuddled by how quickly accents could change in a few dozen miles. Also how unintelligible some people were, yet they had no problems understanding me, especially considering I spoke with an English accent until I was about 5.

Closest I have seen to that in the US were people from communities in Virginia that were traditionally very isolated do to mountanous terrain. Often reoffered to as hollows (hollers).

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

When I worked in the UK for a month I was surprised and befuddled by how quickly accents could change in a few dozen miles. Also how unintelligible some people were, yet they had no problems understanding me, especially considering I spoke with an English accent until I was about 5.

Closest I have seen to that in the US were people from communities in Virginia that were traditionally very isolated do to mountanous terrain. Often reoffered to as hollows (hollers).
Well, one obvious reason why is that they have heard ‘standard’ (bbc, radio one, London stations,etc) their entire lives, whereas that might have been your first encounter with theirs)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well, one obvious reason why is that they have heard ‘standard’ (bbc, radio one, London stations,etc) their entire lives, whereas that might have been your first encounter with theirs)

I get that, I was just surprised I couldn't understand them, like not a single word. Cashier at an Aldi had to call the manager over to translate for me.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

my wife worked with kids in the western albemarle school district when we lived there...amazing how fast it went from rolling hills, mcmansions, and mercedes to hollers, food stamps, and living out of clapped out mercurys...and all in school together having "the same" education...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I get that, I was just surprised I couldn't understand them, like not a single word. Cashier at an Aldi had to call the manager over to translate for me.
I had that in Scotland hey. Towns separated by an hour drive spoke completely differently. Couldn't understand some of them at all.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
My fave was talking to a prison guard from Dartmoor at the local pub when I was staying at my sisters house in Newton Abbot, it took me 10 mins to work out that he was telling me not to go to up to Somerset, as I wouldn't be able to understand the locals (I went and had zero issues in Somerset").

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
my wife worked with kids in the western albemarle school district when we lived there...amazing how fast it went from rolling hills, mcmansions, and mercedes to hollers, food stamps, and living out of clapped out mercurys...and all in school together having "the same" education...

There were a few not so sanctioned trails at the base of SNP that could only be accessed by dirt roads up a Holler. Not uncommon to have a local let you know that you were not welcome there. Rumor was meth labs replaced the stills.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
had zero issues in Somerset
Where did you go?
I lived in Somerset for 4 years a(Between Taunton and Yeovil) and found most folk there easy to understand but in smaller more rural parts there were definitely plenty who you might have struggled to. The bigger problem for me when I first moved there was that a lot of people I'd meet couldn't understand me. Even though my Scottish accent isn't particularly broad it did on occasion cause me problems. Especially at work so after a while in an attempt be more easily understood I tried toning my accent down to sound a bit less Scottish but found that actually had the opposite effect so I then thought fuck it and spoke in a far broader Scottish accent than I usually would when talking to the English and instantly became far better understood. I found the main problem communicating with people from the South West stemmed firstly from it just not being a very multicultural area and secondly quite a lot of Somerset people had basically rarely if ever been anywhere else.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
19?

They're a little backwards in Somerset but not quite to the American standard :brow:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Where did you go?
I lived in Somerset for 4 years a(Between Taunton and Yeovil) and found most folk there easy to understand but in smaller more rural parts there were definitely plenty who you might have struggled to. The bigger problem for me when I first moved there was that a lot of people I'd meet couldn't understand me. Even though my Scottish accent isn't particularly broad it did on occasion cause me problems. Especially at work so after a while in an attempt be more easily understood I tried toning my accent down to sound a bit less Scottish but found that actually had the opposite effect so I then thought fuck it and spoke in a far broader Scottish accent than I usually would when talking to the English and instantly became far better understood. I found the main problem communicating with people from the South West stemmed firstly from it just not being a very multicultural area and secondly quite a lot of Somerset people had basically rarely if ever been anywhere else.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Walking in Ireland once I met a local who happily drowned me in Gaelic.
Once while wandering around a residential neighborhood in Nagoya a gentleman came out of his house to talk to me. He was very happy and excited about the opportunity and seemed completely unbothered by the fact we didn't understand a single word each other said.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Removable dry bag, so finding a three month old banana doesn't ruin your morning.
IMG_20240330_131751.jpg

And 10yr warranty.

Edit - And fine thread axle bolts, I still don't understand why you'd want a Maxle or the dumb shit on my Mezzer over this.
PXL_20240330_023403223.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Removable dry bag, so finding a three month old banana doesn't ruin your morning.
View attachment 209693
And 10yr warranty.

Edit - And fine thread axle bolts, I still don't understand why you'd want a Maxle or the dumb shit on my Mezzer over this.
View attachment 209694
Yeah, I take my wheel off for the mastodon to put it in my truck, but it's such a PITA. You can't thread the axle in the fork without the wheel there to just put the axle somewhere, because of it's stupid design. It doesn't line up well when you put the axle in, so you gotta rotate it around a bunch. It doesn't "grab" it's mechanism well. I have to crank them down a lot too, otherwise they loosen during riding. For the supposed "advantage"...it's a PITA comparatively. Simplicity rules here.

Last edited: