Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I discovered the difference in ft-lbs vs in-lbs while re-installing the lowers on my fork after changing the bath oil. snapped the rod. was a week before a bro-trip to Whistler, and my shop didn't have new dampers in stock. My buddies were riding trail bikes, but I just brought my DH bike instead. Rode the mountain on my own and hooked up with my buddies at the end of the day. win - win!

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I discovered the difference in ft-lbs vs in-lbs while re-installing the lowers on my forks after changing the bath oil. snapped the rod. was a week before a bro-trip to Whistler, and my shop didn't have new dampers in stock. My buddies were riding trail bikes, but I just brought my DH bike instead. Rode the mountain on my own and hooked up with my buddies at the end of the day. win - win!
Years ago in my endurance racing days a bunch of us flew from NYC to Salt Lake for a 75 mile Park City UT race. One of my friends had his fork pissing oil out the seals after a pre-ride the day before the race. He took it to a PC shop for a seal change and they phoned him a couple of hours later letting him know the damper rod had snapped when they'd tightened it back up.

Thus we had to find, buy and get fitted a 1 1/8th steerer 29er fork late in the afternoon before a big race the next day. When most places just had tapered steerer forks by then. REI in Salt Lake came through big time for him.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Speaking of torques, I had to remove a Sram dub crankset something or other from a bike the other day. Holy fuck was that thing ever locked on there. I think the bolt cap says 55nm on it.

Will not be doing it up that tight when I put it back together.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Speaking of torques, I had to remove a Sram dub crankset something or other from a bike the other day. Holy fuck was that thing ever locked on there. I think the bolt cap says 55nm on it.

You must

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

I toasted my brand new BB30 bearings after one ride because I didn't torque the cranks to 5 uggaduggas. You better do it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There's a $h!t ton wrong...leave with head injury come back after 6 years and its big tires, boost, enduro, 26 is obsolete, 27.5 isn't the norm, schwalbe changed up, marzocchi is a different animal, people are running mullet finally (thats a good thing), tires went to 2.8 and bigger now back to normal...
holy shit you're alive

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lmao yeah got back on a bike 4 weeks ago. Rode with a couple of us old schoolers so far...
Actually mentioned you with wife
We were in Manhattan area and around LA...saw your old work...designing boxes.
ha that's wild. i moved back to the east coast over a decade ago now, currently in the greater Philly region. my oldest kid turns 6 on Friday.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lol man time went fast...congrats on the kiddo and I assume your still designing stuff...glad your on here ....good to see some of the group
ha thanks man. i got 2 kids (oldest is getting a proper MTB for his birthday), work in med device, still riding but not as much as i want. where you at these days?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
In north county San diego. We live near P-hill...so tons of jumps, drops, gaps and doubles...been a good place to dial bikes in...my 13yr old started riding...we put away the mx bikes and got him jumping, built a ladder roller in yard gonna make a 3' 5' and 8' ladder drop...then a couple features...wife's cool with it...

I started just nailing stuff and getting back up to speed...haven't lost any speed in rocks and nasty...actually alot quicker than before...but I need to shut brain down on bigger doubles and drops...so been just pushing a little here and there...
Best part is I am having fun again...I just want to ride...

I am going to try for fox dh open at bear and going to start racing DH again...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In north county San diego. We live near P-hill...so tons of jumps, drops, gaps and doubles...been a good place to dial bikes in...my 13yr old started riding...we put away the mx bikes and got him jumping, built a ladder roller in yard gonna make a 3' 5' and 8' ladder drop...then a couple features...wife's cool with it...

I started just nailing stuff and getting back up to speed...haven't lost any speed in rocks and nasty...actually alot quicker than before...but I need to shut brain down on bigger doubles and drops...so been just pushing a little here and there...
Best part is I am having fun again...I just want to ride...

I am going to try for fox dh open at bear and going to start racing DH again...
my wife gave me the go ahead to get a season pass to the bike park again this summer. first time since we had kids.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
if i'm flying across time zones for riding its gonna be once i can get back into canada and finally go to whistler
Yeah kai is bugging me to go there so we will probably go this summer....
They opened a decent park before big bear, snow valley has a park on the up and coming, bear was bought out by mammoth and theyvare getting some decent maintained trails not out old school cables lol....veil lake was taken over by clint and his dad, Eric Carter and clint are setting up a bad ass layout amd trying to do a trailer shuttle to top...jump line is pretty good...have to dial rear shock in....
Bobby root is selling ebikes now he's busy, tried to get him to do a through hike PCT last summer (2 north west portions) but he's slammed...

So there are some things in the industry that have gotten great...I do notice these enduro guys are going pretty big on the jump lines and drops, just need em to stay the F outta my way when I'm charging....but man some definite talent...

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
So there are some things in the industry that have gotten great...I do notice these enduro guys are going pretty big on the jump lines and drops, just need em to stay the F outta my way when I'm charging....but man some definite talent...
If I did Northstar or Mammoth 3+ times a year a DH bike may make sense. I was way quicker on the DH bike at Northstar compared to the Trail bike even though it felt like I was going half the speed. Last year YT had a good deal and Specialized had the Team Demo for $3250 so half off. Still, $3K is a good chunk of $$$

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I discovered the difference in ft-lbs vs in-lbs while re-installing the lowers on my fork after changing the bath oil. snapped the rod. was a week before a bro-trip to Whistler, and my shop didn't have new dampers in stock. My buddies were riding trail bikes, but I just brought my DH bike instead. Rode the mountain on my own and hooked up with my buddies at the end of the day. win - win!
and that, kids, is why you should use the metric system