Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
PVD is allowed to do whatever he wants. I take great pleasure in watching that idiot fail. He gets a free pass on everything.
Oh I'm right there with you, PVD without all the bad ideas and hubris is infinitely less entertaining.

Part of me does admire his willingness to build shit and document it. I'd just be a lot more impressed if he was building better stuff and it didn't feel like he was largely doing the documentation because he loves attention so much.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh I'm right there with you, PVD without all the bad ideas and hubris is infinitely less entertaining.

Part of me does admire his willingness to build shit and document it. I'd just be a lot more impressed if he was building better stuff and it didn't feel like he was largely doing the documentation because he loves attention so much.
He creeped out on a friend of mine a few years ago at sea otter because he found out she was recently divorced. She's not easily shaken but she said he was getting a little out of hand insisting that her and another female friend stay at his house. Basically had to grab him by the ears and tell him to fuck off and leave them alone.

I now hope that little tidbit helps everyone enjoy him eating shit because of his own stupidity even more, and as much as it adds to my own enjoyment.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
PVD is allowed to do whatever he wants. I take great pleasure in watching that idiot fail. He gets a free pass on everything.
It’s a wild ride. You get to watch someone obsessed with their craft and clearly very smart, make the dumbest choices, repeatedly. Long may it continue

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
He creeped out on a friend of mine a few years ago at sea otter because he found out she was recently divorced. She's not easily shaken but she said he was getting a little out of hand insisting that her and another female friend stay at his house. Basically had to grab him by the ears and tell him to fuck off and leave them alone.

I now hope that little tidbit helps everyone enjoy him eating shit because of his own stupidity even more, and as much as it adds to my own enjoyment.
I really didn't need more convincing that he's a colossal asshole, but it's always nice having my priors confirmed.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
OMG that dude is still around? And still trying to mountain bike? Yikes. Holy Hard No. Eff that guy. Seems harsh, but No. Really. No. Stop it. Learn to ride your bike. Then maybe make bike parts.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
OMG that dude is still around? And still trying to mountain bike? Yikes. Holy Hard No. Eff that guy. Seems harsh, but No. Really. No. Stop it. Learn to ride your bike. Then maybe make bike parts.
That guys a local. Eccentric - yes. You can't say he can't ride though. He's hit a lot of the local features that require a decent amount of skill to pull off.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
That guys a local. Eccentric - yes. You can't say he can't ride though. He's hit a lot of the local features that require a decent amount of skill to pull off.
Fair play. But when I saw some of his footage (a long time ago) he couldn't even clear a downed tree. And he wants to design me a new stem/handlebar thingy?

I'm pretty sure I only saw posts of that dude on MTBR and I haven't been on empty beer in many years. So there's that.

Full Beer All the Time. Next new MTB site with Arm Chair Engineers and Retired Hack Racers! No casual riders allowed tho. :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You can't say he can't ride though.
the fuck I can't

He's hit a lot of the local features that require a decent amount of skill to pull off.
Us fellow bay area extreme mountain bikers are very impressed :rofl:

That dude's a hack that sucks at everything mountainbiking except for drawing geometry diagrams.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Shimano hubzzz are still a piece of shit. You're welcome.
I rebuilt my 758 or something a couple weeks ago before Whitehorse and it was amazing, something like 7-8 years old and the grease was still ok, still smooth. 17 ball bearings on each side I think. I gotta do my front XTR soon....but maybe not really?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Man I clicked on that expecting to see his sweaty fat ass in that polyester bitcoin shirt

and you're just talking about cutting oil.........
Most people here get all teary eyed and nostalgic over flat pedals and 26" wheels, for me it is the scent of Blasocut.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I rebuilt my 758 or something a couple weeks ago before Whitehorse and it was amazing, something like 7-8 years old and the grease was still ok, still smooth. 17 ball bearings on each side I think. I gotta do my front XTR soon....but maybe not really?
This hub was a 2 week old XT. It uses the DT Swiss star ratchet (but bigger). DT use about 10 parts. Shimano somehow managed to get about 50 parts in there. Is that really necessary? And cone and cup still? No thanks.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
The newest XT hubs are shit on multiple levels. The lower end have steel axles and freehub bodies, no funky Scylence shit and are sturdier. I've been riding the Deore-level FH-M410 with good success all year. @Electric_City what happened with yours?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The newest XT hubs are shit on multiple levels. The lower end have steel axles and freehub bodies, no funky Scylence shit and are sturdier. I've been riding the Deore-level FH-M410 with good success all year. @Electric_City what happened with yours?
It wasn't mine, but on the back of the freehub there's a wavy washer and a "two-tooth washer" under that. The freehub came off the axle somehow because of the "2tw"not being mounted correctly. Because of that, the cassette would spin without engagement sometimes. Others it would lock the cassette and make it a fixie. Sometimes it was a silent hub. Others sounded like a King. On the wavy washer is says "do not disassemble". But we had to so we could get the "2tw" above the stepped down teeth on the back of the ratchet.

Does that make sense? It didn't to me either. Why the fuck are they engineering a complex hub with '90's technology instead of fixing their shitty hydraulic brakes?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That's not the issue. The spline depth is actually an improvement over HGs

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A bit off topic, but I knew a PVD acronym from somewhere- Purulent Vaginal Discharge.

I sorta like the dude, it's nice to go back to 80's human testing over this new age computer rubbish.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The newest XT hubs are shit on multiple levels. The lower end have steel axles and freehub bodies, no funky Scylence shit and are sturdier. I've been riding the Deore-level FH-M410 with good success all year.
I build a pair of wheel based on MT400 hubs and the drag is much lower compared to Dt350 hubs

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i threw a microspline on my trashed-and-never-serviced-for-years hope pro4s a few years back in order to run cheaper xt cassettes and haven't had any issues...
Easy to improperly clock the smallest cogs causing shitty shifting and gouging the body, if you have fists of ham.

That being said I have no issues and Shimano cassettes shift better.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@konifere
Oops! Was it a HG or a microspline freehub?
Microspline freehub. It came on a 50euro wheel that I got from Bike24 so it's not a big loss (and I bought an identical one at the same price last spring just in case), but it's still annoying. I did not think it would only last 280kms! I'll ask Bike24 about it, they are usually great with customer service and get things resolved quickly and very fairly.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Apart from the dying Deore freehub, I had no problems with the Microspline interface either on two bikes. In fact, it seems to alleviate the freehub gouging issues, but since I'm using steel freehubs on both my DT 350 and Shimano hubs, that's not an issue for me anymore.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
intermittent skipping of Shimano freehub points to broken pawls doesn't it? It's a pretty simple swap as I recall? (though this happened so frequently to me back in the day that I decided to "invest" in a system with no pawls... haven't had any skipping issues since then, and it's been at least 10 years...)

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Yeah I'll remove the freehub later today and see what's happening. If the hub's ring has no chipping, I'll just swap the freehub fromt he other wheel, but if it's chipped I won't risk damaging the other freehub and just use the other wheel.

I was about to say how I love the DT 350 on my other bike, but I won't jinx myself again this time.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I like my DT hubs generally. but the 54t star ratchet on my acoustic single speed commuter does skip now and then.

no issues with 36t ones for me.