Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Naw, it's Absolutely going back.
If it's an Absolute Crap ring, it definitely needs to be going back to them. They're not worth your business. I bought an oval ring from them when they started business in like 2012 (it hasn't seen much use as you can see!) but with all the bullshit they've done/said/developed in the last years (graphene in lube and brake pads, 500$usd derailleur cages, etc.), they're on my "won't ever buy again" list.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don’t even notice a feel difference clipped in. Maybe it has better traction when putting power down on tech climbs maybe it doesn’t. I don’t think I’m going to go out of my way to buy another one but I don’t notice it enough to want to take it off. Garbunk might have a different profile that isn’t Absolutely awful though.
I've had Wolftooth, Garabaruk and Black Spire oval rings. Haven't really noticed a difference between them all. As I've mentioned before, for me, it's about smoothing the power delivery, meaning you don't break traction as often when bouncing up a steep climb. Hard to know if it really works or not, but as mentioned elsewhere, even if it's a placebo effect, I'll take it. FWIW, I've been really surprised at the longevity of the Garbaruk ring, I've had it two seasons and its barely worn (unfortunately, only 75-80 rides between the two seasons though due to various injuries...)

I've had Wolftooth, Garabaruk and Black Spire oval rings. Haven't really noticed a difference between them all. As I've mentioned before, for me, it's about smoothing the power delivery, meaning you don't break traction as often when bouncing up a steep climb. Hard to know if it really works or not, but as mentioned elsewhere, even if it's a placebo effect, I'll take it. FWIW, I've been really surprised at the longevity of the Garbaruk ring, I've had it two seasons and its barely worn (unfortunately, only 75-80 rides between the two seasons though due to various injuries...)
I put ovals on one of my road bikes long ago, decided that they sucked. One's legs need to tense and relax to keep going, and ovals worked against it and I was uncomfortable.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I put ovals on one of my road bikes long ago, decided that they sucked. One's legs need to tense and relax to keep going, and ovals worked against it and I was uncomfortable.
But was it:

Up to 9% increase of Force effectiveness, up to 7% less oxygen consumption, up to 15% less Ventilation (breathing) and up to 10% heart rate decrease when using oval chainrings versus round .
????

Force Effectiveness:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Attempting to service XTR M9010 hub. Shimano document

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/dm/HB0002/DM-HB0002-14-ENG.pdf

does not show the cover over the 2nd locknut on the non-disc side, most importantly it does not show that the bearings are caged, in fact, it incorrectly shows loose bearings. Does not show the seal over the bearings. So you are left wondering how to remove the bearings.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BioPace is what I was using.
I figured. Absolute Black tries to explain the difference on their site. It makes at least some sense and helps explain why biopace sucked so much, but still smells a little snake-oily when it comes to the awesomeness of modern oval rings. (I haven't tried the modern versions but know some folks who like them.)

"Biopace was actually, technically speaking, not an Oval shaped ring. But the biggest difference is in the timing of the maximum radius of said "oval". Biopace align maximum radius of the ring with the crank arm. So when your legs are vertical you experience maximum effort and when your legs are horizontal on crank - minimum effort. This timing is completely incorrect to what modern science know by now. Modern Oval chainrings like absoluteblack have different shape to Biopace, but most importantly different timing. Countless studies show that human can produce most power when his legs are on the crank just below horizontal (crank arm at 4 o'clock) and can't produce power at all when crank is vertical (6 o'clock). So it makes a lot of sense to use this knowledge and locate biggest part of the oval where you can push more and reduce the effort where you can't produce power at all. This is how modern oval rings work."

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I figured. Absolute Black tries to explain the difference on their site. It makes at least some sense and helps explain why biopace sucked so much, but still smells a little snake-oily when it comes to the awesomeness of modern oval rings. (I haven't tried the modern versions but know some folks who like them.)

"Biopace was actually, technically speaking, not an Oval shaped ring. But the biggest difference is in the timing of the maximum radius of said "oval". Biopace align maximum radius of the ring with the crank arm. So when your legs are vertical you experience maximum effort and when your legs are horizontal on crank - minimum effort. This timing is completely incorrect to what modern science know by now. Modern Oval chainrings like absoluteblack have different shape to Biopace, but most importantly different timing. Countless studies show that human can produce most power when his legs are on the crank just below horizontal (crank arm at 4 o'clock) and can't produce power at all when crank is vertical (6 o'clock). So it makes a lot of sense to use this knowledge and locate biggest part of the oval where you can push more and reduce the effort where you can't produce power at all. This is how modern oval rings work."

Modern science? That is just basic common sense.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Don't know how many of you are old enough to remember but almost every rider who had biopace BITD when using it thought it felt absolutely fine. Predominantly found on primative XC hardtail/rigid mtbs with triple chainsets which they just got on with riding in blissful ignorance. If you can find a rider who actually had biopace back then who would now tell you how terrible it was they're only doing so from later reading or hearing mockery of it's flawed/nonsensical design. (ring any bells?) when in fact the body is wonderful at calmly adapting to all sorts of differences
It makes perfect sense shite bag companies like absolute black would be keen to bring back a new spin on the idea albeit with a far greater amount of marketing "information" :brows: behind their product. Knowing fine well the vast majority of cycle consumers to be gullible idiots who'd rather spend MOAR money than actually put any effort into controlling their own pedalling forces.
I've seen EMTBs where clueless owners have fitted oval rings and Ochains FFS!

I see Absolute [cough] Wankers[/cough] latest *new and exciting* product is a narrow wide single speed sprocket.
Personally can't wait until they release the 15t version. It should certailnly be the first time one of their many products actually delivers on their claims of 'WORLDS BEST' that's for sure.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Talking about common sense. On a modern FS mtb used for riding technical uneven inconsistent terrain. Wouldn't you think a round chainring would offer far more consistency and control? :hmm:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Talking about common sense. On a modern FS mtb used for riding technical uneven inconsistent terrain. Wouldn't you think a round chainring would offer far more consistency and control? :hmm:
Nah it makes sense to reduce the gear ratio at the part of the revolution you have the least power to get the most consistent torque output. E-bikes with actual smart controls could take the vaguely sinusodal torque output of a peddler and make it flat, I doubt they do though.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah it makes sense to reduce the gear ratio at the part of the revolution you have the least power to get the most consistent torque output.
it really doesn't. Not for mountainbiking on the terrain I described anyway.

E-bikes with actual smart controls could take the vaguely sinusodal torque output of a peddler and make it flat, I doubt they do though.
all decent mid mounted Emtb motors have a freewheel at the spider and no sensor monitoring what position the crank arms are at.
most Emtb riders can't even change gear smoothly or stop pedalling into obvious trail obsticles so taming their sinusodial inputs would be a mission and a half

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I rode one of the things. They were stupid and definitely felt weird.
ridden plenty of them and agree completely. But I was talking about folk in the 80s who just didn't know any better/different

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ridden plenty of them and agree completely. But I was talking about folk in the 80s who just didn't know any better/different
I just looked up when those things came out. I definitely wasn't riding mtbs in the 80s. Didn't realize they were around for that long. The owner of a shop I worked at in college handed me some rings and said 'here try these'. I took them back off that night.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You. like me. I'd imagine would also take a modern oval ring straight off after trying it

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Count me as a rider who had biopace for a minute or two in the 80's and did not think it felt fine, thanks. Felt super wonky and as an added bonus, made crappy front derailleur shifting even worse.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nah it makes sense to reduce the gear ratio at the part of the revolution you have the least power to get the most consistent torque output. E-bikes with actual smart controls could take the vaguely sinusodal torque output of a peddler and make it flat, I doubt they do though.
And this would make sense if both of your feet were in the same position.

I mean, if this were really true, there'd be undoubtable results being posted by riders with a huge edge over "rounders".

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
And this would make sense if both of your feet were in the same position.

I mean, if this were really true, there'd be undoubtable results being posted by riders with a huge edge over "rounders".
nobody winning races climbing on wet roots. And both your feet are at their weakest positions.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I briefly tried one of those stupid oval chainrings a few years back. I feel like they're even worse with flat pedals, especially standing up (where having very even, smooth force is important). Not to mention how much noise they make from fighting the clutch on the RD.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Count me as a rider who had biopace for a minute or two in the 80's and did not think it felt fine, thanks. Felt super wonky and as an added bonus, made crappy front derailleur shifting even worse.
Me too. We took them off right away, the roadie contempt at the shop was truly worth not running them. (Not that we gave a shit what roadies thought, but...those fuckers knew how to put down consistent power)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Biopace was just ahead of its time. Perfect for high pivot bikes with idlers.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oval elastomer sprung idler pulleys. - sooooo much more grip and control
You heard it here first.
comes with free "Absloute cunt" sticker