Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
peopke talking about Marin-
they are owned by Polygon, aka the factory that makes the bikes, and in the usa they are primarily D2C through BikesDirect, a platform which Polygon also owns.
The big shakeup seemed to have already happened at Marin with the Polygon merger. I would put my chips on “stays stable”.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Marin actually seems pretty popular up here. A lot of new people to mountain biking ride them, they appear to be a good product for the cost.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I have had 2 Devinci, both new, and I recently got a second hand SC. Devinci has been my main bike for the last 6 years.

Devinci doesn't offer bearing replacement but they use the same size throughout the linkage which is nice. Paint has held pretty well. I don't use frame wrap

First encounter with SC: "tunnels" built in the frame for cables are nice but the openings at the headtube are big and should be equipped with grommets or o-rings.
The "nut" of the lower shock bolt is not accessible unless you remove one of the linkage axle and it is made of aluminium which is a bit silly for something that is supposed to be torqued to 16Nm (~12ft-lbs). The equivalent part is made of steel on the Devinci frames.

So far SC doesn't really deserve its premium reputation. At least not against Devinci

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The "nut" of the lower shock bolt is not accessible unless you remove one of the linkage axle and it is made of aluminium which is a bit silly for something that is supposed to be torqued to 16Nm (~12ft-lbs). The equivalent part is made of steel on the Devinci frames.
The best way is to remove front shock bolt first, then rear shock bolt. Reinstall in reverse order.

That said, I do fucking hate the flip chip on the lower link. It is SOOOO easy to bump it out when reinstalling the shock bolt, causing it to fall down into the black hole between the lower link and frame.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The best way is to remove front shock bolt first, then rear shock bolt. Reinstall in reverse order.

That said, I do fucking hate the flip chip on the lower link. It is SOOOO easy to bump it out when reinstalling the shock bolt, causing it to fall down into the black hole between the lower link and frame.
A finger usually works but next time try sticking a shop rag, sponge, or piece of foam in there before re-installing the bolt. Usually works great to hold that nut in place until the threads engage sufficiently. :thumb:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A dab of grease on the little flip chip also helps keep in place.

Though, when you knock that out it'll be covered in sand when you eventually find, resulting in swinging fists. ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
A dab of grease on the little flip chip also helps keep in place.

Though, when you knock that out it'll be covered in sand when you eventually find, resulting in swinging fists. ASK ME HOW I KNOW.
I too have learned this lesson! Shop towel is a good idea though.

I'd also like to add the stupid little dust covers for eyelet bearings to this rant. They also like to drop down into crevices / the furthest corner under the shop bench and get covered with sand/cat hair/lint/yuckwtfisthat.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My universal BB tool is a monkey wrench and a bit of leather from an old belt. Belt is only used for installation as condition is irrelevant after use.
Ya, strap wrench works decent too…as long as not worn.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I don't know what's worse. The fact that I still have an MBUK prescription. Or the fact that I just got the November 2023 edition. Yay. I'm like why are they talking about halloween ish trails? Oh...ok.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I don't know what's worse. The fact that I still have an MBUK prescription. Or the fact that I just got the November 2023 edition. Yay. I'm like why are they talking about halloween ish trails? Oh...ok.
What was the prescription supposed to help with?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
OK, Fox, what the fuck is up with the unsecured square nut for the fork axle ‘clamp’?

Ironically, the last Fox I had, I put a little dab of epoxy on it, because it seemed like a mishap waiting to happen.
Yesterday the bolt came loose on Bobsled, and I lost the bolt and the specific square nut.
Not a big deal, but I just knew this was likely. (Possibly my undertorque or whatever, but still.)
(not really an ‘industry’ rant, more of a Fox one)

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yep, I bought a bunch of stainless steel replacements (Mc Master) after one fell out on a ride. Annoying and kinda scary.

OK, Fox, what the fuck is up with the unsecured square nut for the fork axle ‘clamp’?

Ironically, the last Fox I had, I put a little dab of epoxy on it, because it seemed like a mishap waiting to happen.
Yesterday the bolt came loose on Bobsled, and I lost the bolt and the specific square nut.
Not a big deal, but I just knew this was likely. (Possibly my undertorque or whatever, but still.)
(not really an ‘industry’ rant, more of a Fox one)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I will attest that riding it on a very aggressive DH definitely added some scary squirelliness, but I couldn’t quite define what was off until I loaded the bike up, and then it made sense. It was like having a really loose ball and cone front hub.
This was also the first ‘real’ test of my thumb and shoulder, so I just figured I was in spaz-mode.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Alot are dropping like flies this year...be interested to see who else has to restructure and cave in...
I'm curious to see what happens with Ibis this year. They were doing crazy deals all last Summer. Giving away inventory at those prices can mean 1 of 2 things: Desperate to get some immediate cash but then profits are down hurting longer term health. Or they're about to release revised versions of all their bikes. The cost of developing their e-bike and how few I've seen makes me wonder if that project was ill-timed and will have the effect that the motorcycle had on Cannondale.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm curious to see what happens with Ibis this year. They were doing crazy deals all last Summer. Giving away inventory at those prices can mean 1 of 2 things: Desperate to get some immediate cash but then profits are down hurting longer term health. Or they're about to release revised versions of all their bikes. The cost of developing their e-bike and how few I've seen makes me wonder if that project was ill-timed and will have the effect that the motorcycle had on Cannondale.
I always though ibis had a more conservative plan, makes sense with develop of an ebike to try and keep current with market shift...I'm sure it's not cheap. I like ibis, they have kept a consistent bike that keeps its lane, probably due for a revamp though.

I don't understand why alot thought the market would sustain that momentum, waves are just that a high then usually an even lower low.

Yeah fox left us hanging bad with that suspension dump below cost...figured they were clearing up credit to ease up finances and keep working capitol freed up.. NOPE lol whole new damper..so while we were out in a bad spot looking for 40s I'm glad they redid that tight base valve and stack they had...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Dunno bout you but I kinda remember hearing about the threat back in the early 80s via a James Cameron Movie

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm pretty sure that's any industry.

Just wait until "AI" backfires on everyone/everything. It's only a matter of time. You heard it here first.
I'm pretty sure that "AI" is following the "Cloud Computing" trajectory. i.e. The initial frenzy will wear off, a lot of AI startups will get major haircuts, and AI will find actual non-nefarious uses in business and society in general, but the "promise" won't be nearly as dramatic as the pundits would have you believe.

It's here to stay, but time will tell where it fits in the general scheme of things.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm pretty sure that "AI" is following the "Cloud Computing" trajectory. i.e. The initial frenzy will wear off, a lot of AI startups will get major haircuts, and AI will find actual non-nefarious uses in business and society in general, but the "promise" won't be nearly as dramatic as the pundits would have you believe.

It's here to stay, but time will tell where it fits in the general scheme of things.
Agreed. It will eventually find a happy medium. But still. It sucks. I'm not really a fan. If you ask me, It's tech for the sake of tech. And I'm in tech. Someone will get rich off of it. But at what cost?

Even then, is it really moving a needle in a productive way? Prove it. Be sure to define productive in your argument.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Dunno bout you but I kinda remember hearing about the threat back in the early 80s via a James Cameron Movie
Pretty sure there was a book, then there was a movie. But Yeah.

I don't do big boats, cruises. No effing way. Now even planes. Thanks Boeing for screwing that pooch. You had one job to do!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
The only point of AI is to cut jobs for remote service employees, creatives, and office workers while enriching the c-suite and high end investor class. It produces garbage search results, garbage content (boosters refer to it as "art" which it clearly cannot create), and misinformation primarily. In spite of the high data center costs and negative externalities for the environment and society, the assumption is that decimating workforces will result in more income for the .1%.

On twitter I'm currently getting ads for "AI-enabled dumb bells". It would be funny as hell if not mostly depressing and embarrassing.

Agreed. It will eventually find a happy medium. But still. It sucks. I'm not really a fan. If you ask me, It's tech for the sake of tech. And I'm in tech. Someone will get rich off of it. But at what cost?

Even then, is it really moving a needle in a productive way? Prove it. Be sure to define productive in your argument.