Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I thought it looked like the first viable* replacement to a chain. Why do you think it's stupid?

P.S. Read the info on the project before saying something stupid.

*I would think that making the "cassette" laterally stiff enough would be a challenge but engineers are smarter than me.
My 2c Interesting idea, won't be practically executable without making bikes heavy.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I thought it looked like the first viable* replacement to a chain. Why do you think it's stupid?

*I would think that making the "cassette" laterally stiff enough would be a challenge but engineers are smarter than me.
one HUGE PROBLEM for suspension, unless concentric bb and you know, even Devin isn't using that anymore.

Chain growth. Or in driveshaft speak, axle plunge.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
one HUGE PROBLEM for suspension, unless concentric bb and you know, even Devin isn't using that anymore.

Chain growth. Or in driveshaft speak, axle plunge.
Yeah, going to be borderline impossible to make that work on a FS bike, especially in the multi-speed form.

I think it makes way more sense on a road bike, could be neat there.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

Reasons I think this is stupid:

- Just looking at the area of the contact point between the drive shaft and the "rings" there's not enough area there to spread out the force of a strong dude standing on the pedals. Stuff is gonna snap and or just wear really fast.

- To quote the article "It requires an elevated chainstay, and therefore a custom frame. Should it make it into production, frame builders would be required to build the bike specifically for this"

- None of the videos show it shifting. By the looks of it shifting is going to be a big issue for this design and I suspect they haven't gotten it figured it out yet.

- In general drive shafts are heavier than chain drives so what you gain in efficiency you may just loose in weight.

- This will require high levels of precision manufacturing to work and therefore $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Warning: I may myself be stupid, so these reasons could be stupid :imstupid:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So much for the labeling on e-bikes showing what classification they are, read this elsewhere,
"Standard Bafang BBS02 48v750w (new controller version, but with the markings sanded off and this stuck on)".

So your 750W creation only looks like a simple 250W...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
bike industry: "let's make bikes lighter!"
also bike industry: "let's make bikes heavier!"
At least that weight gain has some measure of functionality.

I'm not saying it's good.

I'm just saying, it's better than orange.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Orange-Bikes-at-Eurobike-2018,2458

In other news, despite having other good tires available to copy for my entire riding career, WTB has still failed to put out a well designed tire, and still hasn't quite figured out what the side knobs are supposed to do or how they function while cornering. WTB lizards, if you're reading this, heres a protip: Look at what Maxxis was doing 15 years ago. Copy that. Literally make a replica of it. You'll be 15 years behind maxxis, but it'll still be orders of magnitude better than your newest offerings.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
To be fair, Maxxis has made exactly 2 good tires since the DHF (DHR 2 and Shorty) so 2018 Maxxis is barely ahead of 15 years ago Maxxis too.

Their trail bike casings have gotten a million billion times better, I'll grant that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
At least that weight gain has some measure of functionality.

I'm not saying it's good.

I'm just saying, it's better than orange.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Orange-Bikes-at-Eurobike-2018,2458

In other news, despite having other good tires available to copy for my entire riding career, WTB has still failed to put out a well designed tire, and still hasn't quite figured out what the side knobs are supposed to do or how they function while cornering. WTB lizards, if you're reading this, heres a protip: Look at what Maxxis was doing 15 years ago. Copy that. Literally make a replica of it. You'll be 15 years behind maxxis, but it'll still be orders of magnitude better than your newest offerings.
WTB: worse than bad.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
To be fair, Maxxis has made exactly 2 good tires since the DHF (DHR 2 and Shorty) so 2018 Maxxis is barely ahead of 15 years ago Maxxis too.

Their trail bike casings have gotten a million billion times better, I'll grant that.
The minion ss is an good tire as well, if you have trails/conditions that are suitable for a semi slick.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't think the knob design really matters all that much, as long as there is some siping/hollow-ness. You could use like tiny little penises or something and it'd work just as well. The wierwolf just looked cool, especially in 2.5, that's why we bought it. And then we ripped the casing open a few days later.

I do like these maxxis icon 2.35s on my xc bike, they measure about 2.4 and are crazy fun. Tire casing is super-supple.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO

You apparently haven’t ridden an Aggressor, and as you said, their trail casings are far ahead of the past.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You apparently haven’t ridden an Aggressor, and as you said, their trail casings are far ahead of the past.
I have. They're a fine rear tire but I don't think that they do anything particularly better than a DHF, except maybe a bit of rolling resistance if you insist on a 2.5 rear tire.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
that wtb nano that came with my bombtrack gravel bike runs pretty good on gravel