Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'd be more concerned with galling and galvonic corrosion when it comes to titanium fasteners. You want full coverage with loctite or anti-seize to limit surface contact.
Not that different from alu bolts in steel bearings pressed in alu links and CF frame. Never been an issue in my Ibis Mojo HD either.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not that different from alu bolts in steel bearings pressed in alu links and CF frame. Never been an issue in my Ibis Mojo HD either.

If I remember my galvanic tables correctly ti/al that is a nice battery. I am a little paranoid after ruining 3 bikes from corrosion, but mostly due to profusely sweating over everything when I was in Virginia. This includes an aluminum road bike with a Ti seat post that will never move without an angle grinder.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Or a person that rides motorcycles as well.
Yeah, I'm jealous of anyone who grew up with left hand rear braking. By the time I started riding motorcycles my brain was hard wired to grab the right lever when I need to emergency brake the rear tire. Since my 3rd moto in 2006 they've all had American MTB style brakes.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Are you left handed?
If not. Why would you choose to
operate the brake that actually slows you down with your least dominant hand?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah, I'm jealous of anyone who grew up with left hand rear braking. By the time I started riding motorcycles my brain was hard wired to grab the right lever when I need to emergency brake the rear tire. Since my 3rd moto in 2006 they've all had American MTB style brakes.
I didn't grow up that way, but when it was time to ride motorcycles, I switched all my bikes to right hand front brake setup. Now I am running all my bikes, including road bikes, that way.
Makes bike demo rides pretty "interesting". :eek:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
180 in/lbs and blue loctite. Aluminum bolt that keeps the rear shock in the wishbone of a Wilson.

Stripped the 6mm. Broke an Easy-out. Had to use said broken Easy-out along with Bridgeport and machine vice to get said screw out.

Blue Loctite IS NOT that strong.
20221201_072325.jpg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I got a motorcycle about the same time I really got into mountainbikes. Never had a problem switching between the two, but for a while I did try to unclip while stepping off of the moto.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Friction can get weird especially with polymers but you can think of a simple model of a fastener like a vertically spring loaded object moving on an inclined plane. The angle of the plane determined by the ratio of thread pitch and diameter. Steep enough of an angle and the object will slide down or the fastener will back out. Sufficient friction and a shallow angle and it will stay in place. The force pushing the object down the ramp will always be lower than pushing up. The diameter of the fastener cancels out with input torque so the linear force is pretty much proportional to torque and thread pitch.

Threadlockers are voodoo magic that I have never explored from a math perspective. I have never needed anything more than blue loctite on a bike. The stronger stuff is for threads under high cyclical loads, of which only nipples really see.

I'd be more concerned with galling and galvonic corrosion when it comes to titanium fasteners. You want full coverage with loctite or anti-seize to limit surface contact.
yea, torque decay is much more prominent with polymers because they're more susceptible to expansion/contraction with thermal cycling. fun story: at a past job i was working with R&D on a project, they have a liquid they wanted to try to package in threaded PTFE vials. i humored them and did a torque study. those things lost over 50% of their application torque within 30 minutes.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I didn't grow up that way, but when it was time to ride motorcycles, I switched all my bikes to right hand front brake setup. Now I am running all my bikes, including road bikes, that way.
Makes bike demo rides pretty "interesting". :eek:
I considered it back at 17yo when I started playing with motos but even then I was riding for a team (K2/BMW) and often switching bikes so it didn't seem like a pactical idea for someone in the USA.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Are you left handed?
If not. Why would you choose to
operate the brake that actually slows you down with your least dominant hand?
So, in Oaxaca, on the steepest trails I have ever ridden, I finally got to a place where I wished I had a 223 on the rear, and a 200 (or less!) on the front.
I know this has been discussed previously.
The trails were SO steep, Rocky, and long, there was a bit of brake fade on the rear, but the front (with the 223) would absolutely lock up if I wasn’t careful with my death/panic grip. 6.6 mile trail, 5,111 vert, ~25% grade. Ridiculous.
it was an eye opener, and I had a very long time to experiment, and think about it!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
So, in Oaxaca, on the steepest trails I have ever ridden, I finally got to a place where I wished I had a 223 on the rear, and a 200 (or less!) on the front.
The trails were SO steep, Rocky, and long, there was a bit of brake fade on the rear, but the front (with the 223) would absolutely lock up if I wasn’t careful with my death/panic grip. 6.6 mile trail, 5,111 vert, ~25% grade. Ridiculous.
it was an eye opener, and I had a very long time to experiment, and think about it!
Screw Moab! Let's hit this shit! :D

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
If I remember my galvanic tables correctly ti/al that is a nice battery. I am a little paranoid after ruining 3 bikes from corrosion, but mostly due to profusely sweating over everything when I was in Virginia. This includes an aluminum road bike with a Ti seat post that will never move without an angle grinder.
My story on that combo that relates to this thread is my GF has a 2012 Yeti ASR-5C. The shock to frame mount uses a Ti sex bolt (because Yeti) that fits through raw aluminum spacers in the shock eye plus the carbon frame has small aluminum spacers bonded into it for the bolt. Well it hadn't been removed for years and when I went to remove the shock for service, the female bolt broke free rotationally but wasn't able to be tapped out. I then realized it was actually the aluminum spacers spinning in the carbon frame instead. What followed was a painstaking process of drilling out the female bolt very carefully while holding parts from spinning with pliers, then expoxing the little aluminum spacers back into the frame. At least I could still buy the parts I needed from Yeti, and heavily coated the bolt with anti-seize when reassembling.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
My story on that combo that relates to this thread is my GF has a 2012 Yeti ASR-5C. The shock to frame mount uses a Ti sex bolt (because Yeti) that fits through raw aluminum spacers in the shock eye plus the carbon frame has small aluminum spacers bonded into it for the bolt. Well it hadn't been removed for years and when I went to remove the shock for service, the female bolt broke free rotationally but wasn't able to be tapped out. I then realized it was actually the aluminum spacers spinning in the carbon frame instead. What followed was a painstaking process of drilling out the female bolt very carefully while holding parts from spinning with pliers, then expoxing the little aluminum spacers back into the frame. At least I could still buy the parts I needed from Yeti, and heavily coated the bolt with anti-seize when reassembling.
Yeah, your first problem is you bought a yeti :D

Mic drop

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
When shit is hitting the fan it's the rear brake that brings the bike under control, not the front.
Exactly.
Rear brake is an anchor that rarely needs to be as controlled as accuracy as the front.
Thanks for proving my point.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So larger rear for combating the fade rather than MOAR braking power amarite?
And some way of attaining MOAR control on the front.. If only you had a dominant braking hand and you could use your front brake with it. :brows:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
School was fucked! Pre school I held a pen/pencil/brush in my left hand. At 5yr old my first school teacher "corrected" it forcing me to use my right. Ever since Ive written/drawn/painted using my right hand but hold a pen/pencil facing the opposite direction to every other right handed person.
I'm comfortable switch footed on pedals but right dominant for pretty much everything else really.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Pardon me, but what does being left or right-handed have to do with what brake should be on which side?

If you need more grip power to activate your brakes and think using your dominant hand will aid in that, perhaps its time to upgrade from those Hayes Mag brakes which did absolutely fark all, unless you grabbed a literal fist of brake lever.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pardon me, but what does being left or right-handed have to do with what brake should be on which side?

If you need more grip power to activate your brakes and think using your dominant hand will aid in that, perhaps its time to upgrade from those Hayes Mag brakes which did absolutely fark all, unless you grabbed a literal fist of brake lever.
Read slower son.