Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I stopped by the Shimano tent at the race today and asked them why they hate riders.

They said “we don’t hate riders!?”

I told them my xtr brakes weep onto the pads.

“Oh yeah, we recommend removing the pads when you aren’t riding the bike.”

Well yeah I said, but can I buy caliper seals?

“No, we intend the entire brake caliper to be non-serviceable”

Then I said my bite point moves further out.

They said “yeah, that can be challenging, especially when its cold”.

“But we dont hate riders!” The said again.

I like doing this at races.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I stopped by the Shimano tent at the race today and asked them why they hate riders.

They said “we don’t hate riders!?”

I told them my xtr brakes weep onto the pads.

“Oh yeah, we recommend removing the pads when you aren’t riding the bike.”

Well yeah I said, but can I buy caliper seals?

“No, we intend the entire brake caliper to be non-serviceable”

Then I said my bite point moves further out.

They said “yeah, that can be challenging, especially when its cold”.

“But we dont hate riders!” The said again.

I like doing this at races.
You can't expect these new startups to get it right the first time

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If that's Bicicletta, they had 50% off on Shimano chains, cassettes, cranks etc.. before they got bought by the new owners. I guess they're not as willing to slash prices anymore! :phone:
It is... I was hoping I would get lucky. :rofl:

TBS has the best prices, but I don't really need anything else from them to take advantage of free shipping. :think:

1697120651870.png

1697120661756.png

I wonder what the actual difference is between SLX and Deore derailleurs? Are the pivots any better/robust?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I've got both and to be honest, I think the main difference is the steel (Deore) vs aluminium (SLX) pulley cage plate. I think both rear plates are steel, it's just the front one that's different. Feel-wise they are identical, share the same composite knuckle, the clutch feels the same, the have the same pulleys... The XT has sealed bearing pulleys and the other two run on bushings. But the XT still has that cmposite "knuckle" part that will develop some play at some point. Honestly, I'd just get another Deore if it was me, but I have yet to try my XT (next summer). I got the XT for 25%off, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

Edit : oh the Deore doesn't have the small rubber bumper on the front, but I have not noticed any more noise or knocking than the SLX so I don't know how much it does.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've got both and to be honest, I think the main difference is the steel (Deore) vs aluminium (SLX) pulley cage plate. I think both rear plates are steel, it's just the front one that's different. Feel-wise they are identical, share the same composite knuckle, the clutch feels the same, the have the same pulleys... The XT has sealed bearing pulleys and the other two run on bushings. But the XT still has that cmposite "knuckle" part that will develop some play at some point. Honestly, I'd just get another Deore if it was me, but I have yet to try my XT (next summer). I got the XT for 25%off, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

Edit : oh the Deore doesn't have the small rubber bumper on the front, but I have not noticed any more noise or knocking than the SLX so I don't know how much it does.
True, they sound the same then. The pulleys with bushings have worked for me, though mine squeak quite a bit. Just need to pop them off and put a little lube on them.

XT is too much if everything is basically the same. I hit too many rocks and sticks like an idiot to justify that.

One thing I still need to try, before buying a new derailleur, is cleaning and greasing the clutch again. Last fall the shifting went all shitty as well, but it was finally resolved when I serviced the clutch and also backed off the clutch firmness.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
It is... I was hoping I would get lucky. :rofl:

TBS has the best prices, but I don't really need anything else from them to take advantage of free shipping. :think:

View attachment 201907

View attachment 201908

I wonder what the actual difference is between SLX and Deore derailleurs? Are the pivots any better/robust?

i ride xt shifter with deore derailleur, at cost they are next to nothing :banana:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
try a Deore shifter. indexes just as precicely as XT but with a far lighter trigger/paddle action.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
They all have multi shift up the cassette to larger sprockets (lower gearing). But only higher teir Shimano have it for shifting from large to small sprockets.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

Investment being pulled from the group that owns the largest bike shops in Europe…I’m sure that’ll be great with zero ramifications.

small bike shops are probably pretty happy if CRC go under though.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

Investment being pulled from the group that owns the largest bike shops in Europe…I’m sure that’ll be great with zero ramifications.

NICE

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

From the Canuckistan perspective, CRC have not had a decent selection or prices for several years now. At zee moment, it iz zee Germans for zee vin.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Like @mykel said, since CRC's selection dropped and prices upped, outside of Canada, Bike24 and R2bike have had my business this year. I haven't bought from JensonUSA since 2020 and it used to be my go-to place before. Even when paying like 50$cdn of shipping from the german stores, it's still worth it. I just bought another DT hub last week from them and their regular price (around 200$cdn) was way less than regular price here (500$cdn). That's great because otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford nice hubs! Hopefully they will still sell DT to Canada for the foreseable future.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Like @mykel said, since CRC's selection dropped and prices upped, outside of Canada, Bike24 and R2bike have had my business this year. I haven't bought from JensonUSA since 2020 and it used to be my go-to place before. Even when paying like 50$cdn of shipping from the german stores, it's still worth it. I just bought another DT hub last week from them and their regular price (around 200$cdn) was way less than regular price here (500$cdn). That's great because otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford nice hubs! Hopefully they will still sell DT to Canada for the foreseable future.
:stupid:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Never tried the german stores. Maybe I should.

I used to order a lot from CRC back when they could ship SRAM and Shimano stuff to Canada. I don't anymore

I tried a spanish store once (BikeInn) and it was a catastrophic experience. Never again.

I bought a lot from JensonUSA over the years, but it seems more and more stuff cannot be shipped to Canada anymore. The good stuff from SRAM (like XO.1) cannot ship. Even a fucking SRAM brake hose cutter cannot ship to Canada. I also tried to buy an Easton seatpost and it was not possible to ship it across the border. I had to back out the last 3 times I tried ordering from JensonUSA, as the good stuff on sale could not ship to Canada and it didn't make sense to buy more shit I didn't need at full retail price just to get the free shipping.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Never tried the german stores. Maybe I should.

I used to order a lot from CRC back when they could ship SRAM and Shimano stuff to Canada. I don't anymore

I tried a spanish store once (BikeInn) and it was a catastrophic experience. Never again.

I bought a lot from JensonUSA over the years, but it seems more and more stuff cannot be shipped to Canada anymore. The good stuff from SRAM (like XO.1) cannot ship. Even a fucking SRAM brake hose cutter cannot ship to Canada. I also tried to buy an Easton seatpost and it was not possible to ship it across the border. I had to back out the last 3 times I tried ordering from JensonUSA, as the good stuff on sale could not ship to Canada and it didn't make sense to buy more shit I didn't need at full retail price just to get the free shipping.
Dude. I know a Canadian that is no longer allowed back in Canada. Good thing his girlfriend here in USA has a house in Costa Rica for him to hang out in

He's good people. Just getting jacked unfortunately.