Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
seth. bro. no one wants to look more euro. are you literally a bot sponsored by the alps???
You will reconsider tis when you see people wearing toques with fanny pack, sandals with socks while carrying hiking sticks.

I'd mention the strange pants but I believe these are of the working class and I don't think sethimus would sully his hands with labor.

1701152083300.png

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Hey!

I wear socks with sandals all the bloody time, and I like it.

But then again, I am miles into the bush on the bank of some lake making camp.
Seriously though, a pair of boots, a pair of sandals and some sock and your good to go. That combo just works in the bush and one great benefit, it helps keeps little bits of forest floor detritus from stabbing you between the piggies.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
MORE TOQUES!!!!
View attachment 204222
is that an american thing again where they want to look more european?
It’s a Canadian thing, where they want to look more…

Canadian.
It's a Canadian thing, where we don't want to freeze our ears off...
Hey!

I wear socks with sandals all the bloody time, and I like it.

But then again, I am miles into the bush on the bank of some lake making camp.
Seriously though, a pair of boots, a pair of sandals and some sock and your good to go. That combo just works in the bush and one great benefit, it helps keeps little bits of forest floor detritus from stabbing you between the piggies.
and is an extra barrier to mosquitos, black flies, deer flies and horse flies taking large chunks of flesh off...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
deep down americans are insecure because all their ancestors were migrants and that clashes with their christian white power politics
you're not even good at making fun of us :rofl:

Given your superior jeans and lineage, you should know exactly that christian white power has nothing to do with migrating and everything to do with conquering.

You know. Like those dreams you have. The ones that definitely never morph into you standing in front of the mirror in costumes and making poses when no one is looking.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
We had a group ride last saturday and a kid was asking if anyone had spare batteries for their shifter - the battery had died and they wuz stuck in one gear.
LMAO. It's bound to happen. It's easy to remember to charge the battery pack on the derailer or seat post. But the little coin sized battery in the shifter/lever is easily forgotten.

Have that kid tape a reserve battery (CR2032 or whatever) to the bike so it's there next time. That's what I do.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
LMAO. It's bound to happen. It's easy to remember to charge the battery pack on the derailer or seat post. But the little coin sized battery in the shifter/lever is easily forgotten.

Have that kid tape a reserve battery (CR2032 or whatever) to the bike so it's there next time. That's what I do.
That's a great idea. A coin battery taped to the bottom of the stem or something. I have trouble with my shifters in the cold. They're fine when it's warm, but sometimes one shifter or both will simply quit below 40 degrees.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if you go electric for the drivetrain then you don't need to worry about Di2 batteries going dead

just sayin'

:D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
if you go electric for the drivetrain then you don't need to worry about Di2 batteries going dead

just sayin'

:D

I bet there is a market for a little generator that charges your electronic shifting system when you push some kind of lever.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I bet there is a market for a little generator that charges your electronic shifting system when you push some kind of lever.
perhaps a lever-arm that could be sized such that people could use their feet to push on stubby things at the end of said levers

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hmmm...so my newest eeb's derailer connects to the main battery. Why couldn't the shifter/lever/seatpost, etc.? It still has a wire going to it or to "something"

IDK it's probably easier, cheaper, lighter to do the coin battery. That's why it's designed that way.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's a great idea. A coin battery taped to the bottom of the stem or something. I have trouble with my shifters in the cold. They're fine when it's warm, but sometimes one shifter or both will simply quit below 40 degrees.
This sounds odd, most of the serious riders here are using electronic shifters in the cold, like way way colder than that, with no problems. Not just random people, but the owners of the large bike shops and and fat bike companies, the ones that won't spec certain components unless they actually work in the cold.

You don't by chance continually store this shifter in a cold location?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hmmm...so my newest eeb's derailer connects to the main battery. Why couldn't the shifter/lever/seatpost, etc.? It still has a wire going to it or to "something"

IDK it's probably easier, cheaper, lighter to do the coin battery. That's why it's designed that way.
SRAM? My all-Shimano system runs off the main pack only.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This sounds odd, most of the serious riders here are using electronic shifters in the cold, like way way colder than that, with no problems. Not just random people, but the owners of the large bike shops and and fat bike companies, the ones that won't spec certain components unless they actually work in the cold.

You don't by chance continually store this shifter in a cold location?
No, bike is kept in a climate controlled basement. My first battery set died after 2.5 years and 3000 miles? of use on a pretty cold day (45 degrees maybe). I replaced them both and got a warning during a 38 degree ride start. Once it started to warm up and the shifters got used, things worked fine (and have since). My bet is I put some older or bad batteries in. Still, having a set of coin batteries on hand would make things easier should the need arise out on a ride. RM loves to shit on electronic shifting but I'll take ~3 years with zero maintenance and zero adjustments vs. very careful setup and regular adjustment to cable tension with a constant risk of cable breakage or housing damage. We'll debate whether a 42a durometer tire is better than 40a durometer but having to recharge a battery every 10 rides is an absolute no-no.