Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
You could give me two Canfield pedals for free and I wouldn't even bother fitting them to a bike.

Convex pedals belong in this thread, fuck them all to hell!

I assume you are an old school ball of foot over spindle for foot placement type rider?
On the rec of a friend I ended up with a set of One-Up pedals for x-mas one year. I liked aspects of them, but could never really get on with them. They too are convex, and I am a ball of foot over spindle rider. Now I have a nice set of concave Tenets that I get on with very well. My buddy is a new school midfoot over spindle rider, so the convex shape works for him settling in between ball and heel. I tried riding that way, and ya nope, not gonna overcome 55 years of habit, cause that just felt WRONG. The wife chose wrong that time, but she has nailed it many times in the past.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Mid foot over spindle a thing? or is it code for just bought a bike in Covid and smashes green/blue flow trails but really cant ride for shit, because foot over spindle and elbows full MotoGp tuck. And add in they want the plushest suspension on carpark bounce so they are 25% down in true spring rate.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I wasn't sure where to put this one.

Is it whats wrong with the industry, because of what Fezzari employees did here?
Or is it whats right with the industry, because they got called out by PB for astroturfing (didn't know that was a thing)?

Scroll to the bottom of the hidden comments :rofl:
Wow. Thats an amazing catch by PB. Hopefully they catch out more brands doing shit like that, I remember a couple of brands doing that on PB and Vital over the years.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Is it whats wrong with the industry, because of what Fezzari employees did here?
Or is it whats right with the industry, because they got called out by PB for astroturfing (didn't know that was a thing)?

mullet cycles did the same thing here and on vital. they cried like bitches when called out.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Knee-jerk-written-articles about how pretty mountain biking gear is. Never rode it, but made it a point to write about how awesome it will be. It looks cute too.

Screenshot_20240309_205506_Chrome.jpg

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
i should also note that i have bright ass orange riding shorts and a jersey, but that's due to the overlap of riding season and hunting season.
Having recently made a temporary move back to Connecticut, I've been out riding a few local spots on 40-45° days. EVERY rider I see (not very many) is wearing bright orange so for a moment I wondered if I'm doing something wrong riding in my normal DH/dirtbike outfits with an undershirt. I'm not a hunter, but know how things work enough to have been baffled about what hunting season could possibly be in February. I came to the conclusion that either these people have no idea about hunting seasons and just figure all Fall/Winter is one, or they only own cold weather gear in blaze orange.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Having recently made a temporary move back to Connecticut, I've been out riding a few local spots on 40-45° days. EVERY rider I see (not very many) is wearing bright orange so for a moment I wondered if I'm doing something wrong riding in my normal DH/dirtbike outfits with an undershirt. I'm not a hunter, but know how things work enough to have been baffled about what hunting season could possibly be in February. I came to the conclusion that either these people have no idea about hunting seasons and just figure all Fall/Winter is one, or they only own cold weather gear in blaze orange.
Can't speak to CT, but deer season in PA runs into late January now. And there's no closed season on coyote.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I didn't know this is a thing. Is it a common thing? I've seen the old, slow roadies who move their cleat as far back as possible to relieve calf strain, but this sounds even more radical.
Yes, it is a thing.

Concave pedals will cup the ball of your foot, whilst convex pedals will socket in behind the ball.
If you think about it, it makes sense. If you remember back a few years, when Canfield came out with their pedals, there was a polarization. Some loved them, and some hated them. That is because they were convex. If you were an old school ball of foot over spindle, they felt odd and people kept slipping them. Others who rode with the ball of the foot in front of the spindle raved about how great they felt and how secure they were with no slippage.

One-up are another of the convex pedals. I was given a pair and they are nicely made. I rode them a few times and they just didn't feel anywhere as good as I expected. Dug a bit and found out they are convex. Put them next to my Tenets and you can see their hump next to the tenet valley. Of course I marked them up good the first ride, so waffled on selling them on due to appearance. I probably should, as I can't see myself using them except in extreme emergencies.

There are quite a few coaches who favour the mid-foot placement over ball of foot.
ie. https://www.bikejames.com/strength/the-mid-foot-position-manifesto-the-science-and-movement-principles-behind-the-best-foot-position-for-you-on-the-bike/

Yes, it is a thing.

Concave pedals will cup the ball of your foot, whilst convex pedals will socket in behind the ball.
If you think about it, it makes sense. If you remember back a few years, when Canfield came out with their pedals, there was a polarization. Some loved them, and some hated them. That is because they were convex. If you were an old school ball of foot over spindle, they felt odd and people kept slipping them. Others who rode with the ball of the foot in front of the spindle raved about how great they felt and how secure they were with no slippage.

One-up are another of the convex pedals. I was given a pair and they are nicely made. I rode them a few times and they just didn't feel anywhere as good as I expected. Dug a bit and found out they are convex. Put them next to my Tenets and you can see their hump next to the tenet valley. Of course I marked them up good the first ride, so waffled on selling them on due to appearance. I probably should, as I can't see myself using them except in extreme emergencies.

There are quite a few coaches who favour the mid-foot placement over ball of foot.
ie. https://www.bikejames.com/strength/the-mid-foot-position-manifesto-the-science-and-movement-principles-behind-the-best-foot-position-for-you-on-the-bike/
I like mid-foot.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Convex pedals are just horrible.
I always suggest to anyone who doesn't understand how the concave on a pedal platform actually works that they ditch their stiff sticky soled shoes for a while and ride in a pair of Vans or similar.
Plus. Normalising riding your bikes without "all the fucking gear" can only ever be a good thing.

Only time I ever prefer the ball of my foot over the centre of my pedal is when doing long manuals as I find it allows a little more heel movement calibration to control the balance. This partly came about all because I never learned to control mannies with my rear brake. Changing foot position a lot is the main reason I hate riding in sticky soled shoes and lack of feel is why I hate riding in stiff soled shoes. Unweighting and sliding my sole on the pedal to re-position rather than lifting/placing. Using multiple foot positions is yet another reason why convex pedals absolutely suck.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Mid foot isn't "new skool"

and Mountainbiking™ coaches/nerds certainly didn't come up with it.
FFS!

Last edited: