Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I had no clue that anyone rode with arch over spindle. Maybe that’s better for giant drops and mega jumps… ?
I’ve always preferred concave pedals. On clipless, I set cleats as far back as they go on Shimano shoes, but that’s nowhere near the arch… it’s still under the ball on my 11.5 US feet.

I had no clue that anyone rode with arch over spindle. Maybe that’s better for giant drops and mega jumps… ?
I’ve always preferred concave pedals. On clipless, I set cleats as far back as they go on Shimano shoes, but that’s nowhere near the arch… it’s still under the ball on my 11.5 US feet.
I dumped clipless a few years back and wish that I had never ridden with them.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Started on flats
Rode with toeclips for a few years.
Life happened and bikes didn't for a couple years.
Back to flats.
Tried clipless (a few times)
My nice clipless pedals and shoes sit collecting dust.
Back to flats.
I never realized it but I am a lot more active foot wise than I realized, especially on the DH bike (go figure). Unconscious unweighting getting ready to dab, or foot angle changes and god only know what else...things I did not realize I was doing until I was clipped in and feeling confined.
Just gonna stay with flats.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
But then I have to put that number in to bing to find out the compound for that tire, there is no search function on the Continental site where I can enter a model number.
I blame apple for these stupid styles of websites, three days of scrolling, 5000 words and 25 large images, do they not know people have no attention spans?!
I want bullet points and a damn table, fuck Continental I'll get something else.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
But then I have to put that number in to bing to find out the compound for that tire, there is no search function on the Continental site where I can enter a model number.
I blame apple for these stupid styles of websites, three days of scrolling, 5000 words and 25 large images, do they not know people have no attention spans?!
I want bullet points and a damn table, fuck Continental I'll get something else.
Personally I blame google for that sort of enshitification.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
It always made sense to me, even if they mean pretty much the same. There needed to be a way to indicate that it is not just deflation.

Deflation would indicate a smaller product, or cheaper price.

Shrinkflation is a decent portmanteau to indicate a smaller product, but at the same time a higher price.

Yesterday, whilst grocery shopping I grabbed a package of HotDogs for the first time in a few months. $8.00 instead of the 5.00 or less that I remember, and 375gms instead of the traditional 454gm (1 lb). They went back in the case. Shrinkflation as a word works for me.

Words, come from somewhere, so unless there is one we can borrow that means the same, then this "new" one will do.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Some bike websites are so bad for that shit you just lose interest. Trying to see a model lineup and bike spec shouldn't involve fucking scrolling through some web designers chokewank "paid-per-line-of-code" multimedia bullshit

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I know this is trivial but you'd think if Shimano can go to all the effort of making snazzy chain ring nuts they could go to the extra effort of making them long enough to function as required.
IMG_20240323_112129.jpg

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What makes you say that's not long enough?
The nut only really has to protrude far enough through the bolt holes in the spider in order to enter the chainring's bolt hole enough to hold it in place and once tightened isn't going anywhere. Were the female nut much longer than that the male chainring bolt runs the risk of bottoming on the nut if used with a chainring with recessed bolt holes.
Those capped saint chainring nuts are mainly aesthetic so if it bothers you you could simply swap them for any standard chainring nuts of suitable length

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What makes you say that's not long enough?
The nut only really has to protrude far enough through the bolt holes in the spider in order to enter the chainring's bolt hole enough to hold it in place and once tightened isn't going anywhere. Were the female nut much longer than that the male chainring bolt runs the risk of bottoming on the nut if used with a chainring with recessed bolt holes.
Those capped saint chainring nuts are mainly aesthetic so if it bothers you you could simply swap them for any standard chainring nuts of suitable length
Because the Renthal ring that was on there had a small taper that was about half the height of the bit of plain section.
You know stuff Gary, did they use the same cover nut thingies on other cranks with thinner section spiders?
That's the only reason I could see the reason they made such a shit go of it.
I guess it saves 0.3 of a gram too.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
the Renthal ring that was on there had a small taper that was about half the height of the bit of plain section.
Taper?
if you mean it's bolt holes had a machined stepped recess? they're made for the head of a standard chainring nut to sit in, Simply flip the ring over so the flat side is against the spider and the bolts sit in the recesses. The renthal logo will face inwards so be hidden but the ring will work fine. Saint M820 rings have the writing on the other side.

You know stuff Gary, did they use the same cover nut thingies on other cranks with thinner section spiders?
That's the only reason I could see the reason they made such a shit go of it.
IIRC Saint 820/825 cranks did have a very slightly thicker spider than 810/815. (But those never had covers)
Shimano used similar *style* bolt covers on XTR double chainsets and their higher end (Ultegra/DuraAce) road chainsets. But I'm fairly sure the road versions wouldn't fit with the Saint spider profile at all. XTR had a different BCD to Saint so I wouldn't have thought they'd fit either.