Quantcast

Thoughts on Santa Cruz Super 8

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
hard to believe there's any unbroken ones left. me & a bunch of my buddies ran them back in the day (and had a close relationship w/ the sc warranty dept). not bad in their day (whilst they were intact), but any remaining examples should be considered wall art.

granted, the type of riding we were doing then (mad huxoring) played a significant role in their limited lifespans.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Can you expand please :thumb:

I'd really rather not trade, I'd rather sell outright and get what I want, but thought if it was worth it I would consider....
They're just not very good frames. They've got a high leverage ratio which stresses the shock, They blow through the travel kind of oddly, and yes, they broke fairly easily. Plus the resale on them is kind of non-existent.

Your coiler is just a better frame, even if it's not a 'dh' frame. Just sell it and get the money.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
They're just not very good frames. They've got a high leverage ratio which stresses the shock, They blow through the travel kind of oddly, and yes, they broke fairly easily. Plus the resale on them is kind of non-existent.

Your coiler is just a better frame, even if it's not a 'dh' frame. Just sell it and get the money.
Thanks.

That was my initial thoughts was that it was older than I wanted, but thought I would ask here as it could have been an older gem that I was unaware of, clearly it is not.

I love my coiler, but it's just too much of an all around bike for me it works very good as a XC/All Mountain/DH bike, But I want to go to having a true DH bike, and start riding my Hardtail for XC again.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Uuuuu... Super 8... memories come back :) My first DH bike :)
But, if You got it, You could start kind of personal "hall of fame" with it, indeed ;)

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
You can, but you'd HAVE to have this spec list:

Shiver
3" Gazzis
Pro taper bar
Azonic Shorty stem
Mr. Dirt chainguide
Fox Vanilla RC rear shock
Azonic Loveseat saddle
Doublewide rims
Profile cranks

:)
Nah, needs an Azonic Supercross bar! (with the cross bar pad and all!)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I want one just to go mad huxx0ring. Love the look of the super 8 plus monster, double "why"ds in kawa green and 3" gazzos...

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
damn! I had that setup at one time! god, those were the good old days. I'll see if I have a pic to post up.

You can, but you'd HAVE to have this spec list:

Shiver
3" Gazzis
Pro taper bar
Azonic Shorty stem
Mr. Dirt chainguide
Fox Vanilla RC rear shock
Azonic Loveseat saddle
Doublewide rims
Profile cranks

:)