Quantcast

Time for a new drivetrain I think...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
So I've got a bent chainring, a busted shifter, and I'm looking for something a little more robust.

I'm looking at a LX drivetrain (crankset, cassette, chain and shifter pods) for my Trek 4500D, but nobody can tell me what the model numbers of the parts I need are. Locally, the prices are outrageous compared to what I can find online, and I'd rather do it myself to save some cash.

Anyone have any opinions on it? Or any opinions on a set of components that would work just as well?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Just make sure all the parts match up either 9sp or 8sp. LX, XT, XTR will all work together.

I prefer shimano, but if you are replacing all of that you might also consider sram. The numbers x7, x9 and x0 are compatible. The named shifters like rocket work with shimano derailluers.

indieboy said:
but do you honestly know how to do it.........

Geez. It ain't that hard.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
indieboy said:
but do you honestly know how to do it.........
Can't learn any younger. I figure if I can maintain a car myself, I can surely do a bike.

Just make sure all the parts match up either 9sp or 8sp. LX, XT, XTR will all work together.

I prefer shimano, but if you are replacing all of that you might also consider sram. The numbers x7, x9 and x0 are compatible. The named shifters like rocket work with shimano derailluers.
Sounds like a plan. I'm curious though, do I have to match a particular chainring to a particular rear cassette or no?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
robdamanii said:
Sounds like a plan. I'm curious though, do I have to match a particular chainring to a particular rear cassette or no?
No.

The LX groupo is a great deal price wise. A lot of the technology Shimano has come up with has trickled down to this price point. Hollowtech cranks, disk brakes, dual levers (shift/brake) are all part of the LX groupo now if you're looking at '05 and newer stuff. If you want to take a look at SRAM, and are on a budget, look at the X7 series stuff. Same idea, good performance at a decent price.

Runner186

Chimp
May 23, 2005
Colorado
I relplaced my XTR drivetrain on my race bike with the SRAM x.9 series and Xgen front derailleur. Worlds better then the XTR stuff, better shifting, no ghost shifting, the trigger shifters have an awsome feel! My XT rear just broke on my other bike, and I ordered some x.7 shifters and rear derailleur today, can't wait to be totally free of that Shimano crap! Go with SRAM, it's the best choice I've made with my bike in a while.