Quantcast

Time for new pedals, suggestions?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I guess when you buy 20 dollar bombshell pedals you get what you are paying for, the bearing in mine are shot and its time to get something better. Ive never really heard anyone rave about one particular set of pedals, it seems that everyone has mixed reviews about everything. Im open to suggestions.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Search around and you'll find a few threads on this.

A lot of people swear by Wellgos. They are generic, but well made and designed.

Azonic A-Frames and Easton Flatboys are also solid choices.

Grippiest pedals I've used are Atomlab Aircorps. The bearings did not last long on mine, but the newer version is supposedly better in this respect.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I was actually thinking about Aircorps. I was leaning toward Azonic A frames but ive heard mixed things just like every other pedal

This post in the 5.10 thread is the real reason im asking, caus i thought all the pedals he pictured were decent?

Oh really??
I see tons of people running goofy pedals. I'd say the majority of pedals designed for DH bikes are horrendous: completely flat, no knurling, excessive pins:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I had the best luck with NYC Freeride pedals when I used to ride flats. Nice feel in terms of pin length and concave. They were also super durable, outlasted my eastons, atomlabs, and shinburgers in terms of bearing life. They actually got sold before I ever saw play develope, even after 2 seasons. Hefty price tag, but they were totally worth it. If I were to go back to flats, those would be the pedals.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Tioga MX Pros. Light, grippy, sealed, extra holes for when you screw up the first set the pins are in, $60.

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
my atomlabs are awesome, they tend to be a little inconsistent with quality, one pair that i have have not been touched in 4 years, another pair has been through 3 sets of bearings in 1 year. my new ones seem the best by far, no bearings just bushings. thay are super solid and are even thinner. grippiest pedals i have ever run, maybe too grippy with 5-10s though.

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
I have used the woodman spikey for two years now, although they will kill the soft soles of Vans quick so a proper bike shoe is better with a hard sole. Grip is superb.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
AtomLab Aircorps are good - the only problem I have had with them are the short life of the bushings - got them in Oct. and by Dec .I developed play. Dropped their warranty dept. an e mail and haven't heard back as of yet.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i've heard horror stories of atomlab e-clips coming loose and the pedal sliding off the axle. not good. they are nice looking pedals, but if you're on a budget, i vote azonic a-frames, specialized lo-pros or maybe transitions if by some magical chance you can find them anywhere, they are out of stock from what i understand. if you're willing to spend in order to get really nice pedals, straitlines are your best bet. i was talking to greg from straitline about them and they are in such high demand right now that he isn't even able to get a pair. they are just sending a bunch out to distributors though, so get orders in quick if anyone here is considering them. compared to the atomlabs, they too use e-clips, but on these, there are 2 e-clips so that should 1 fall off, you've got another backing you up. also, the pedals run on self lubricating polymer bushings and should they need to be replaced, it is a quick, inexpensive swap. i've heard nsmb will be putting out something with some details on the pedals, so be on the lookout. they aren't cheap, but if you want a high end pedal, they are low profile and should last a long time. also look at some of the newer nyc freeride pedals, they seem really nicely done.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Search around and you'll find a few threads on this.

A lot of people swear by Wellgos. They are generic, but well made and designed.
Gross. I put wellgo's on my hardtail, rode off a 2 foot drop and bam, destroyed. bearings crushed or something. Never had anything ever like that happen. Took it to 3-4 bikeshops (good bikeshops) nobody could fix them and i couldn't get them warrantied.

as for pedals...you need criteria, all these suggestions are a shot in the dark. but basically, if u want bombproof, get syncros metals, if u want light/race one xpedo mx's

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
i agree with bicyclist on this. my mx pros are absolutly amazing, but unfortunatly for you they are discontinued so you arent gonna be able to get ahold of new ones, but that doesnt mean you cant find used ones somewhere. although if you cant find them i would suggest the 5050xx by crankbros with the long pins. with the long pins you wont even need 510's to have traction with these things. those are my two suggestions man.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
I've had Dice Outlaw Pros, they were ok. My DMR V12 Mags are fantastic, better grip, they seem more durable and also lighter than the Dice. What I like the most is that the spindle is alot easier to remove / service as it comes all the way to the end of the cage rather than the sunken design like on most pedals including the Dice ones.

From research my other choice probably would have been the Azonic A Frames or Wellgo Mag perhaps. I definitely wouldn't go for the Cran Bros 5050s.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I have Poverty Hustler pedals on all my bikes and bought an extra set for whenever I get a new bike. You can get them at danscomp.com (bmx website) for 30 bucks. You can get non-sealed ones for 20 bucks but the Hustler ones are better. Highly recommend them.

KevinR86

Chimp
Aug 13, 2006
Williamsburg VA
i use povertys too. I got the $20 ones from danscomp. They are really grippy, but the bearings have a little play after 1 season, really nice feel to them though.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
1. Welgo mg1s. They are pricey, but the lightest pedal (that I could find), silver, and grip supper well.
2. Specialized mags. They are a little heavier than the mg1s, and a little smaller surface area, but are still super sic pedals. Also a little pricey though.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
1. Welgo mg1s. They are pricey, but the lightest pedal (that I could find), silver, and grip supper well.
2. Specialized mags. They are a little heavier than the mg1s, and a little smaller surface area, but are still super sic pedals. Also a little pricey though.
The Tioga MXs are 460gs, which is pretty light. They are also only $65, oh an cartridge bearings means sealed right?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yes the mx's are sealed and between the three man i would deffinatly go for the mx's. ive had ride time on all three of them and the mx's are deffinatly the best pedal out of them. they have a very low profile which i like, and they are pretty light as well. deffinatly the best flats that i have ridden.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
xpedos, syncros mental magnesium (white) or straitline, They have a black grey acid wash pair that are slick. I am looking into getting the new straitline peddals and sunline stem. Alot of new products hit recently and they are light and great looking.
My original plan was to get the straitline pedals, but i dunno if i can drop 130 on pedals.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
My original plan was to get the straitline pedals, but i dunno if i can drop 130 on pedals. I just spent 150 on a Fullface and a new seat, and I still wanna get some 5.10s

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
the straitlines should outlast a ton of other pedals though, and they are supposed to be very inexpensive to rebuild. also, they come in the special X-ray color, which i'm currently waiting for, my pedals supposedly have a 2 week wait, but they should be here soon enough.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The xpedo MX-3 are 412g and $70 retail as well as hold up well. I weigh 220+ and smack the He!! outa mine constantly especially since getting my new frame. I have had 2 pairs now, the ones on my bike 1.5 years now a back up set I finally sold.
MG-1s are $62 average and 371g

gonefirefightin

free wieners
the good things about the aircorps are that they dont have any bearings just bushings, and all the parts are preplaceable. couple times a year all you have to do is pull the clip and clean and grease with prep "m". I have never had a problem with the bushings since I always preform the maintenence on them and all the pins are preplaceable as well. you can put in any length pin you want all from a hardware store. you can also get the required parts from a local hardware store. no need to go to the company for any parts, including bushings. the only time you would have to buy another set is if you crash bad enough to actually break a pedal and if that happened atomlab will give you another set.

Faster

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
yes
Ok, I'm also in need of new pedals. Now! you have a super great and amazingly fabulous change to make the decision for me.

So, the question at hand is:
****manohs Mx 30 or A-lab Aircorp, and why?

No Tiogas or other nonsense please.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
the straitlines should outlast a ton of other pedals though, and they are supposed to be very inexpensive to rebuild. also, they come in the special X-ray color, which i'm currently waiting for, my pedals supposedly have a 2 week wait, but they should be here soon enough.
So how exactly can you tell the straitlines will outlast other pedals, when you haven't ridden them, and almost nobody else has either?

:rolleyes:

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
So how exactly can you tell the straitlines will outlast other pedals, when you haven't ridden them, and almost nobody else has either?

:rolleyes:
Because they come in x-ray color so you'll be able to tell if your bearings are getting screwed up just by looking at the pedal... duh!