Quantcast

Time to lock 'em up

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
Time to lock up the jumps. Too many poachers, not enuf workers and the jumps are falling apart now from all the abuse. If we string chain or cable between trees they'll just cut the trees down (like they've done before). So here's my idea. Drill out a couple 4x4 posts so a chain will slide through. Knot one end so it can't pull through. Bury these about 2' or 3' deep on either side of the trail right at the takeoff (or between landings and next takeoff). Maybe dump a bag of sackcrete on top for good measure. String the chain through a 4" or 6" diameter piece of metal pipe. To jump 'em you'll have to plow over the pipe or bunny hop it right into the take off (doubtful). Or get out a shovel and dig up the buried posts. Or do some work, have nice jumps, and earn a key.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
if they have that much of a lack of respect that they would cut down trees, I hope they don't just fvck up the jumps all to gether, as a statement of "if I can't ride these then no one will"!

At least that is what happened to my halfpipe a bunch of years back.:disgust: I came home to a bunch of grafiti all over it and some scorch marks where the idiot tried to burn it. :disgust1:

Dirty Maestro

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
I feel your pain. Our spot is really drying up and getting beat up. Need some rain...

I try to introduce myself to everyone that is new to the spot. I let them know they'll have to dig, not to bring anymore friends, and a few other things depending on their age. Like any kid under 16, i'll let them know they have to wear a helmet unless they prove they can hang.

I was very close to chaining up our trails but luckily things mellowed out. I think just me chatting about chaining things up and making people dig worked out.

One tactic i try to use when a group of new riders come in and don't seem to help much besides broom. Is to get at least one of them into digging at the spot. The "one" will yell at his friends and they usually follow.

Its hard out there....Good luck with the chain setup.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
what if they cut the chain? or some one hurts themselves running into the pipe?

I'd say if they cut the chain then they're not lazy, they're assholes. Beat them with the pipe.
If they get hurt trying to ride over a 6" pipe...? Darwin's Law. Don't need crap like that reproducing anyway.

Hidden DJs aren't public property. A parent should be STOKED that someone chained up the jumps to keep OBVIOUSLY unprepared riders off them. If they crash running into a 6" pipe...they aren't ready to jump bicycles.

Here was my plan: When you build the first lip, bury a 3" chunk of PVC under it. You can just toss a chain through it and back around the face and through another piece of pipe. Lock it. This way the pipe is right on the face, no hopping it or even building a roller over it. Only way is a key or to cut the chain. Anyone ever tried to cut a chain? I'm thinking log chains here, not something you'd walk your cat with. Gonna SUCK to pack in...

Last edited:

chipper

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
sac town
thats what happened at my jumps some jerks tore up my first two jumps on bothe sections cause they were not able to ride them cause they are locked up. I hate lazy a people

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
haha
back in december, we caught a poaching trio up at our jumps:

so we installed some security

haha
just kidding
what we did do is on our first jump:

we got wire and strung it between the 2 trees right off the lip. to close to boost over.
but on our lower set:

we couldnt really do that, so we had to deal with the poachers.