Quantcast

Time to rebuild the server

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
So, my server is starting to crap out, keeps loosing connections, have to reboot, etc. It is not a proper server, but a desktop running Windows 2000 Server. I have the OS on a separate drive, and am planning to setup a raid for the data drives. It currently has 2 18gig SCSI drives and 1 400gig SATA drives. The OS is on one of the small SCSI drives.

I'm planning on using the same case and power supply, and installing a newer version of Server. I'm looking to do this for as little money as I can get away with, but I'm not afraid to spend for decent to good parts. I think I want a proper server board and processor, because stability is paramount. Speed is not going to be an issue, it will be a file server. I'm thinking I would like to have it Intel based, but if you guys think AMD is better, then I may consider it.

What should I look at, what do you recommend?

EDIT: PATA would be nice, as I would like to use a legacy DVD drive, and PCI slots so I can get some info off of the SCSI drive.

Last edited:
A Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit base installation is about 24 GB with no significant applications installed, so at least a 50-60 GB drive for C:...

In the long run you're not gaining anything by purchasing an obsolete motherboard to support older drives. A terabyte drive now sells for under a hundred bucks, and DVD drives are negligibly expensive.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'd like to keep it under $500-$600 for the mobo, cpu and drives. I have everything else.

It is for a home file server.

I looked at NAS, but I'm not sure I want something like that.
Server grade equipment is really overkill here. If you go that route, you're going to end up with hardware that's a couple generations old and that isn't going to gain you much if anything. Desktops can last plenty long and the server motherboard and processor isn't going to add stability.

For a home file server, I'd go with a NAS. It'll have a small footprint, low power consumption, and low noise. This seems really cheap, actually. A mirrored array would give you redundancy and lots of space:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165256

If you're fixed on the idea of a server, there are lots of great Windows Home Server solutions around. That would give you current hardware with a warranty, much lower power consumption and smaller footprint than a real server, and some value added stuff like media streaming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859110001

Personally, I just leave my desktop on all the time and share a network drive off it. That's the free solution.