Quantcast

tips for buying body armor for woman...

Chinaboy

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Williams Lake, BC
Well...my wife has been bitten by the downhill bug this summer, and absolutely loves it. We have upgraded her bike three times!! Shes wearing the usual leg,arm armor and full face...but I want to get her some body armor, like 661 pressure suit or something for christmas, but don't know any woman in our area that wears one...SO...do any of the ladies out there have any suggestions? or let me know what you are wearing (for armor:)...).
Thanks.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
I wear a medium 661 pressure suit and I'm 5'9" and 125-130 lbs....it fits pretty well although I don't really think the elbow pads sit directly on my elbows...but what pads really stay where they're supposed to??...I would say overall it's pretty comfortable to wear and very protective...although the comfortability factor goes out the door when it's over 90 degrees out...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
What is your wife's build? That would probably help us give you some suggestions more specific to your wife's needs.

I have a hard plastic 661 chest protector (they only come 1 size fits all) that doesn't really fit all that well, but it was inexpensive and enough to get me through this season. I have also tried on the small RockGarden Flak Jacket and the arms were long on me, but the rest seemed ok. I am 5'4" tall with a medium build.

for_sale

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Truckee
I'm roughly the same size as goodtobeIrie, and I wear a Medium Dainese, and It's too big. So if you get Dainese go to a small!

Chinaboy

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Williams Lake, BC
Thanks for the input and the link to this topic from past.
My wife is about 5'9", and 150, not petite, but good for me...anyway...I have purchased a sixsixone pressure suit for her, so lets keep our fingers crossed that it fits when she opens it up at christmas.....
Thanks again.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
Might I suggest you give it to her early so you can save her from some pain before christmas...

edit: nevermind...just noticed where you're from...don't think you'll be needing it before then or for a while after christmas for that matter...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have narrowed it down to the 661 SP1, Rockgarden, and Dianese for my wife. She is 5'7" and 125. She is a smaller build.... What size do you ladies recommend? I like the fact you can remove the arms on the Rockgarden.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, I got the SMALL 661 for my wife and its waaaay to big. The chest band is super big and the arms have way too much room. She is 5'7" and 125. I am thinking the Dianese small might work. Any other opinions? How about the youth size 661?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Check out the new 05 Rockgardn stuff, the sizing is a lot better than in years past. I'll bet they fit the ladies pretty well. I have a few gals on the team who I am going to have try the samples they sent next week.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Kanter said:
I have narrowed it down to the 661 SP1, Rockgarden, and Dianese for my wife. She is 5'8" and 135. She is a smaller build.... What size do you ladies recommend? I like the fact you can remove the arms on the Rockgarden.
Dainese, Dainese, Dainese...can't recommend it enough. Yes, it's the most expensive, but it washes the best, fits the best, lasts the longest, and is far cooler (temperature-wise) than some of the other brands. I'm 5'7" and I have both a small and a medium...small's a bit tight, but still wearable.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
dhjill said:
Dainese, Dainese, Dainese...can't recommend it enough. Yes, it's the most expensive, but it washes the best, fits the best, lasts the longest, and is far cooler (temperature-wise) than some of the other brands. I'm 5'7" and I have both a small and a medium...small's a bit tight, but still wearable.
I second that! I have two, one is the older style without the hard chest plate (it's lasted 5 years and is still kicking) and one of the new one's with the chest plate. They are by far the most reliable, most comfortable, and least cumbersome. I am 5'4" and the small fits me really well.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
dhjill said:
So Im going to get her the Dianese but now which size? The small or the med?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Kanter said:
So Im going to get her the Dianese but now which size? The small or the med?
She sounds about Jill's size. It really depends on if you think she is more muscular or thin and lankier. If she's got some muscle to her, I would go with the medium at that height. If she's really slim then the small might work just fine. Also, arm length should be considered. If she's got long arms, the small might be too short. What do you think Jill???

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
DH Diva said:
She sounds about Jill's size. It really depends on if you think she is more muscular or thin and lankier. If she's got some muscle to her, I would go with the medium at that height. If she's really slim then the small might work just fine. Also, arm length should be considered. If she's got long arms, the small might be too short. What do you think Jill???
I'd say medium. I have really long arms, so it seems to fit me a bit better. Like I said, my small fits OK, it's just a little tight in some areas and not as comfortable as the medium. You don't want the suit to be loose, but if it's way too tight, she's going to probably rip holes in the arms trying to peel it off when it gets sweaty. That's what happened to my first Dainese...but it still lasted through about 3 years of weekly abuse. Depending on where you buy it from, most places will offer an exchange if it hasn't been worn. www.transcend.com has really good prices on Dainese gear.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Jill,
Well, I got the exact size of my wife now. She says she is 5'7" and 125lb and small chest, 32". Yes, she said it, not me. Anyway do you think the small will be too small in the arms? I think the small will work everywhere else but the arms. She has long skinny arms. Are the spine protectors the same length on the small and medium Dianese? Any more info you want to give on your size? I know im getting a little personal here but I really need the help.

Kanter said:
Jill,
Well, I got the exact size of my wife now. She says she is 5'7" and 125lb and small chest, 32". Yes, she said it, not me. Anyway do you think the small will be too small in the arms? I think the small will work everywhere else but the arms. She has long skinny arms. Are the spine protectors the same length on the small and medium Dianese? Any more info you want to give on your size? I know im getting a little personal here but I really need the help.
Dainese would be perfect for her because the chest is small and the arms are longish. I can't fit them properly for those two reasons :( The new Troy Lee armor is sweet too...medium size in the chest and the elbows seem to ride more where they fit me, though if she's got really long arms, they might be too short. Troy Lee is also lots cheaper than Dainese.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dhjill said:
I'd say medium. I have really long arms, so it seems to fit me a bit better. Like I said, my small fits OK, it's just a little tight in some areas and not as comfortable as the medium. You don't want the suit to be loose, but if it's way too tight, she's going to probably rip holes in the arms trying to peel it off when it gets sweaty. That's what happened to my first Dainese...but it still lasted through about 3 years of weekly abuse. Depending on where you buy it from, most places will offer an exchange if it hasn't been worn. www.transcend.com has really good prices on Dainese gear.
Thanks for the plug Jill! but it's...

http://store.transcendmagazine.com

Also, I suggest medium. I wear a small and it is ridiculously tight at 5'5" 145. Go with a medium for sure, i will be wearing that when the new 2005 stuff hits about mid month.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
bikegrrl said:
Dainese would be perfect for her because the chest is small and the arms are longish. I can't fit them properly for those two reasons :( The new Troy Lee armor is sweet too...medium size in the chest and the elbows seem to ride more where they fit me, though if she's got really long arms, they might be too short. Troy Lee is also lots cheaper than Dainese.

So what size on the TLD???????????/

igotabike

Chimp
Nov 8, 2003
atx
does anybody know what the pro women wear? i would imagine that if you went to one of their websites you could email them and ask . also if enough women show interest a manufacturer might start making them. if a pro asked one of their sponsors maybe that would help

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Kanter said:
Jill,
It sounds like she's built a lot like me; my bust size is about 34, though. I don't know if the spine protectors are the same length or not...the small suit I have is slightly older than my medium size, so I don't know that I could even give you accurate info based on that.

I would still say go with the medium. I don't think the medium is going to be totally huge on her, and I would err on the larger side than smaller.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
igotabike said:
does anybody know what the pro women wear? i would imagine that if you went to one of their websites you could email them and ask . also if enough women show interest a manufacturer might start making them. if a pro asked one of their sponsors maybe that would help
Most wear Dainese.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Thanks. Ill exchange the 661 small for the Dianese medium.....

The 661 small is insaine big. I wear a large Dianese and the small 661 was about the same size except the back protector is smaller.

Thanks again Jill. What leg armor do you wear?

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Kanter said:
Thanks. Ill exchange the 661 small for the Dianese medium.....

The 661 small is insaine big. I wear a large Dianese and the small 661 was about the same size except the back protector is smaller.

Thanks again Jill. What leg armor do you wear?
Good, I'm glad our info was able to help out.

On leg armour, I wear Haro Airflow knee/shin guard...they absolutely kick ass. OK, so I need to 'fess up and admit that I work for Haro, but I also know what went into these pads and makes them awesome. We used this special patented stuff called "Brock foam" that actually keeps your legs far cooler than other pads as you sweat. This stuff doesn't absorb odors and dries out really quick...so the funk factor is greatly reduced. They also don't seem to rotate and slip down as much as other pads, either. I mean, if you take a hard enough digger, they'll move around a bit, but that's sort of the nature of the beast. I love them and can say with all honesty that even if I didn't work where I do, I would still say these are the best pads I've ever used.

Good Luck! :)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I dont see the leg armour on their website....

I found some info but not on their website. So they are two seperate pieces?

What about Roach FR or DH leg armour for women. How do they fit?

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Kanter said:
I dont see the leg armour on their website....

I found some info but not on their website. So they are two seperate pieces?

What about Roach FR or DH leg armour for women. How do they fit?
Damn! I need to get on our webguy and figure out why our protective gear didn't make it on the new site. Anyhow, I went to our 2004 site and found a link for you:

http://www.harobikes.com/2004/parts/gear.html

I've actually heard really good things about the Roach pads although I have never worn them.

:)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Dianese showed up today for my wife. The armor fits my wife pretty well except the spine protector goes 4-5 inches past her tail bone. Does that should right?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Kanter said:
The Dianese showed up today for my wife. The armor fits my wife pretty well except the spine protector goes 4-5 inches past her tail bone. Does that should right?

Anyone know if this sounds right?????

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
hehe sounds like my wife's 661 armor
she cut the waist belt off and re-sewed it on so it would actually fit her
only problem now is the long arms but she is gonna re-sew those too

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Kanter said:
Anyone know if this sounds right?????
No that's not right. I tried my newer jacket on last night and the spine went down and covered my tail bone area, but didn't go past it. It ends just past where my lower back curves out and starts turning into rump (what a hard part of the body to explain!!). I'm 5'4" by the way if that helps you. I don't know if the back plates on the dainese are different for each size but that doesn't sound right. I would try and call them and get some more info. They once again have a north american distributor (and he even speaks english!!) so I'm sure you could get some one to answer your questions. Other than that, where you happy with the quality and the rest of the jacket??

konaracer said:
Y dont you try Dangergirl DH they have a exelent selection
Last I heard, their armor wasn't going to be ready for mass-production until at least this spring. However, I am personally stoked about trying out their product, because I've talked to Kristina and I think she's going to address a lot of girl-specific issues.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
It fits her fine in the chest and length of the arms but the arms are way too big and the spine protector is super long. I thought it would be a little shorter than the large I wear but they spine protector is the same size. I wish I would have gotten her the small. I cant send it back again.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, they are letting me send it back again. I sure hope the small fits. Women are so hard to shop for.... :) especially when the stuff you are buying is designed for men.

Thanks to all the help