Quantcast

Tiralongo Earns First Pro Victory at Giro d'Italia

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Italian Paolo Tiralongo of Team Astana took his first win today after 12 years of trying. He escaped in the final kilometers of Giro d'Italia stage 19 to Macugnaga, held off Alberto Contador, and won.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Today, I tried, I thought that it was possible," Tiralongo said after the stage. "I knew I was good, I knew my form was getting better."</p><p>
</p><p>
Tiralongo became professional 11 years ago, in 2000 with team Fassa Bortolo. Over time, he's helped many of his team leaders take wins, including with then Astana team-mate, Alberto Contador, last year at the Tour de France.</p><p>
</p><p>
"A helper won today," Tiralongo added. "It's a win for for my team, my fans and my wife, who makes all her sacrifices."</p><p>
</p><p>
The win came thanks to the generosity of Contador. He now rides for team Saxo Bank-SunGard and leads the Giro d'Italia by 4'58" over Italian Michele Scarponi (Lampre-ISD).</p><p>
</p><p>
Contador caught Tiralongo on the 28.25-kilometre Macugnaga climb after a long, wet day though the Lombardy region. Tiralongo had attacked twice, once at 6.7 kilometres to race and a second, decisive time at six kilometres to race. Contador passed Joaquim Rodriguez (Katusha) and closed the gap to Tiralongo in the final kilometre.</p><p>
</p><p>
He looked poised to win.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I had good legs and felt well, my body told me told me to go. I caught Paolo, but I was happy to let him win," said Contador.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Our friendship is very important, last year Paolo worked for me at the Tour de France, he was important for me. I think one needs to follow his heart, in every moment.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Anyway, Paolo was very strong today. He did not take a gift, he won thanks to his strength and his desire to win."</p><p>
</p><p>
Tiralongo appreciated the gesture. Besides the praise from Astana team captain Roman Kreuziger, he now has the acknowledgement of Contador.</p><p>
</p><p>
"We are great friends with a mutual respect," Tiralongo continued. "It was him who helped me win, he told me on the climb that it was the moment to try."</p><p>
</p><p>
Specialized would have won either way, both Contador and Tiralongo race on the American manufacturer's bikes.</p>

More...