Quantcast

Tire choice for Rays MTB park?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
we're heading up to rays next weekend for the first time. i'm doing the usual pre-roadtrip maintenance stuff and i'm not sure what tire to run on my P2.

i currently have a small block 8 on the front and a spesh rhythm on the rear (my favorite street tire...and i have several of them)

should i put a rhythm on the front as well or will the block 8 be ok for rays? i'd normally just switch it out but the block 8 is tubeless and a friggin pain to take off. so will it be worth it to switch tires?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I just got back from Ray's after riding all day today. Really any tire will work at Ray's as everything is dry and smooth and banked turns. I was using sticky Kenda Nevegals on my Chameleon and never worried about slip, but they don't roll very fast. You should be absolutely fine with that current tire setup.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
yeah i was there last month and like justmtnb44 said you should be fine...however you had the option to run both street tires i think i would. I had hollyrollers on my STP and they hooked up there like nobody's business and roll pretty quick which is nice since its a lot of jump lines its easier to keep up momentum

Jun 4, 2008
Pisgah
Go with the rythems and lots of air. What isnt concrete is plywood except for the skinnies. Smoooothe and fast. Have fun ,wish I was going. Definatly worth the drive. Oh yea limited chickage,lots of box jumps!!

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
When I was there yesterday there was a women's XC race going on. There must have been at least 10 chicks there! That brought the guy:girl ratio up to about 15:1!

Jun 4, 2008
Pisgah
Hey B if you have a BMX bike you should take it with you too. Im taking a 20 and a 26 next time I go. Just too much fun in that place. Hey maybe Noah will let you ride his bike.

Jun 4, 2008
Pisgah
you will still probably be ok in jeans and a tee once you start riding.maybe take a sweatshirt to put on while resting. it was around 9 degrees the last time i was there and it was still in the mid 40s inside.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i'm also bringing two of noah's bikes, 20 and 16, is there a place inside to store the bike he's not riding at the time?

i know...lots of dumb noob questions but i'm bored at work and am anxious to get up there.

GARLIC

Chimp
Jul 14, 2008
yeah, you will have a place to stow some bikes. They have a long bike rack inside. I can't wait to go, gonna be a blast!!!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
sorry I'm late with info

Tires: you can run anything but I prefer Holy Rollers. They don't squirm or wear on the concrete and wood.

Temp: plan on wearing a sweatshirt. It can't be much over 50 in there if it is even that warm.

Yes, there are places to stash a bike in there.

Have fun

GARLIC

Chimp
Jul 14, 2008
yeah, I've been meaning to call. Jeff is going, Brian is not. Also Merritt is heading up with Braggi. Jeff and I will be rooming with ya'll. You will see something new whenever you get there, It is the hottness! I'll try to call you tonight. Jeff and I were talking last night, we can't wait to see noah shred that place!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
you didn't buy that gorgeous banshee hardtail at recycles did you?

edit:

given the gloom and doom weather reports out of that area i went ahead and calld ray's to make sure everything is okey-dokey. lady i talked to said they were open but that most of the local roads including "90" were shut down but that she thinks they should be back open by friday.
good thing i'm driving the subaru :D

Last edited: