Quantcast

Tire cracks

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
I was cleaning my bikes this weekend and noticed that on my road bike each tire had a single fine crack running along both sides of the sidewall---looks like it may be near a seam or on a seam. The rear tire was cracked all the way around the tire and the front had some cracking but not yet all the way around. There is no other damage to the tires---and they only have about 200 miles on them/ are pretty new. I run 120psi-125psi in them and pump them up before each ride. (Rated 120-130psi)

Anyone have any ideas of what causes this sort of cracking? Is there anything that can be done to avoid it and is it OK to continue riding on these tires? I've never experienced this with other tires and am a bit nervous about having a blow out at high speed.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
ohh i'm glad you said that i noticed that about mine the other day but they have about a 1000m and are about 7 months old. i need to change out the rear. which tires are you running?
maxxis detonator's me.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
bikebabe said:
Specialized Mondo S Works.

Do you like the Maxxis? Jenson had the 25c ones on sale for $10 a while ago.
i like um, theyve been good in pretty much all conditions (their supposed to be all condition training tires) and they last a long time as far as i can tell. i got almost 2000 miles out of the last set and no flats. i changed the last set because there was some much FOD stuck in the tire. ya know glass, small pieces of steel etc. seems to be a good all around tire but the rear one has that weird cracking thing after only a 1000 miles.
pretty sure the ones i got are 23c's from one of the on line companys. the maxxis site www.maxxis.com has several of them on sale right now for 12bucks.

The Jinx

I'm an angel
Apr 22, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
I :love: my Vittoria Corsa CX...it rides very smooth but expensive. Mine running for 2k+ km and still no cracks....

I have a spare Veloflex Pave which I yet to test.

U can try Panaracer Stradius (sp?), my friend using it, he said very good, and it's also not expensive.

Regards
sbw

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
I've not had any problems with any Specialized tires- ever. Take them to the dealer for a lil' "whats up" and then buy some Michelin Axial Pros or Conti GP3000s.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
bikebabe said:
I was cleaning my bikes this weekend and noticed that on my road bike each tire had a single fine crack running along both sides of the sidewall---looks like it may be near a seam or on a seam. The rear tire was cracked all the way around the tire and the front had some cracking but not yet all the way around. There is no other damage to the tires---and they only have about 200 miles on them/ are pretty new. I run 120psi-125psi in them and pump them up before each ride. (Rated 120-130psi)

Anyone have any ideas of what causes this sort of cracking? Is there anything that can be done to avoid it and is it OK to continue riding on these tires? I've never experienced this with other tires and am a bit nervous about having a blow out at high speed.
Try Armor-All

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My tires seldom last more than a thousand miles - they just get so sliced up. Like Jinx I used to run Vitoria Corsa CX but they have become too expensive for me. I am now using Hutchinson race tires on both road bikes, I should be using trainers... I just love the ability to rail corners at any speed so no trainers until I am really poor. Like next month.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Yeah, I like how the tires ride and they show no problems on the tread, just the sidewall at the seam. I guess I'll take the tires into the shop first chance I get and we'll see what they say.

And about the armor all---a friend of mine does that on his mountain bike and we tease him mercilessly. :) At least there are knobs on mtb tires though. I see the point of it, to protect the rubber, but I don't want anything slick on my tires. I have fallen from accidentally riding through algae on the street on my mtn bike and those crashes hurt!