Quantcast

Tire recommendation

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Need some suggestions on some tires that'll be used on mixed surfaces (paved, gravel paths, little single track dirt).

Don't want to spend a huge amount.

Currently have these and they've been okay, I guess.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't help much, but I put these: https://road.cc/content/review/239884-panaracer-t-serv-protite-folding-32mm-tyre on my fitness/commuter bike and they worked great. The path I used to take required a lot of road, plus some gravel, plus some dirt. I got mine in 35c, and spent $50 total. They are OK, and I think you'd be best with them on pavement and occasional forays off-road. I took them on a single MTB ride with my daughter, which was really just a 4 mile dirt road, and they survived. If you're looking for a true gravel tire or more off-road oriented, I think I'd choose something else.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have Panaracer Gravelkings on my bike. Certainly more of just a large road tire but I spend 50% of my time on smooth gravel and they are fine.

I used to ride 25c regular old road tires on some very chunky gravel and light XC trails with no problems before the days of gravel bikes. Drifting around a dirt corner on tiny slick tires will make you a better rider, but you will have to do it slowly.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Most tires don't suck these days, finally. There are exceptions, of course. I'm on 32c Continental Grand Prix 4-Seasons, out on a mix of terrible roads, gravel, smooshed pigeons, road grime, wet conditions of unidentifiable consistency, and so forth. No knobs to speak of, but they seem fine when it gets slimy. They go okay.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Specialized makes a great tire. If you want a slick, check out the Roubaix Pro 2Bliss. Labeled 32, it runs wide and is 36mm+ on my rims. Super capable tire, good on fast road rides, very durable and easily handles as much gravel as a slick tire can, including light singletrack. If you want to embrace your inner mountain biker more, check out the Pathfinder.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most tires don't suck these days, finally. There are exceptions, of course. I'm on 32c Continental Grand Prix 4-Seasons, out on a mix of terrible roads, gravel, smooshed pigeons, road grime, wet conditions of unidentifiable consistency, and so forth. No knobs to speak of, but they seem fine when it gets slimy. They go okay.
i'm on these tires as well. the extra volume helps on non-paved surfaces. if i'm going on a ride where there's no paved surfaces i switch over to a set of maxxis raze tires that i have from a number of years back.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have Panaracer Gravelkings on my bike. Certainly more of just a large road tire but I spend 50% of my time on smooth gravel and they are fine.

I used to ride 25c regular old road tires on some very chunky gravel and light XC trails with no problems before the days of gravel bikes. Drifting around a dirt corner on tiny slick tires will make you a better rider, but you will have to do it slowly.
Which Gravelking?

I looked up Panaracer's website and there are 2 pages of them. :rofl: