Quantcast

Tire sizes - not for the bike

J

JRB

So the xterra needs some new tires soon. It now has 265/70-R16s, but these goodyear wrangler at/whatever I can't remember I found are 245/75-R16s. I found a cool online calculator and the MPH will be off 4/10ths at 100mph. Not a big deal. The height is almost identical, but the 245/75s are about 3/4 inch more narrow. Will this be noticable for a stability stand point? I always ran a more narrow 235/85 on my trucks, but never thought about being top heavy. Just wondering if anyone has any insight. There are options in the same tire size, but I don't like them as well. Maybe tomorrow I will do the whole, which tire is better deal. Thanks

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
245 vs. 265 is negligible. i went from 235 up to 10.5" tires (roughly 265) with no ill effects from the width change. of course i did also jump from 29" diameter to 31" and that hurt mileage a bit... :D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i've never bought tires less than 30x9.50s. then again, i've only bought 2 sets of tires.

i say get a 3" lift, then some 32s, and fender flares.

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
31810.5 Super Swamper Trxus would be nice on that and would cost about the same as the Goodyears no to mention perform better. They are a new design and are not loud like the older Super Swampers are. I have a set of the older ones on my jeep I love loud tires so it does not bother me. If it was my money I would get the Trxus they are quiet and out perform the Wranglers.

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
The difference will be noticable looking at the truck - but it shouldn't drive any differently.

How noticable??? Will it be huge???

It's 2 wd and I have this thing about peeps lifting 2wd vehicles. (unless it is a pre-runner, and I just learned that they have a special place in the world)

J

JRB

The tires options are Goodyear Wrangler AT/something I can't remember, but are not very aggressive, and these BF Good rich tires -

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
loco-gringo said:
and these BF Good rich tires
I ran those on my 4Runner briefly... decent on dry roads and quite, but poor in the rain. Took them off before the snow it. I don't know what you are looking to spend, but Bridgestone Dueler ATs (regular AT or the AT Revos) are great tires. I got just a smidge under 60k miles on my set of ATs. The sidewall isn't too aggressive, but they look good.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
loco-gringo said:
How noticable??? Will it be huge???

It's 2 wd and I have this thing about peeps lifting 2wd vehicles. (unless it is a pre-runner, and I just learned that they have a special place in the world)
Um, well... not huge, but noticable. It shouldn't take you long to get used to. FWIW... I went for 11.5" to 12.5" wide tires and the difference was very noticable. I also went from an AT to an MT though, so that was part of it. If you are staying with a similar tread pattern, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. You'll notice the difference at first, but after a week or two, you'll be used to it and not notice it anymore.

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
I ran those on my 4Runner briefly... decent on dry roads and quite, but poor in the rain. Took them off before the snow it. I don't know what you are looking to spend, but Bridgestone Dueler ATs (regular AT or the AT Revos) are great tires. I got just a smidge under 60k miles on my set of ATs. The sidewall isn't too aggressive, but they look good.

I though about those, but seems like they are $50 or so a tire more. I had some decent luck with Goodyear. Never had BFGs before. I swapped from shorter fat tires on my chevrolet when I had it and it was way better looking with more narrow taller tires. I don't like the looks of wide tires, 'cept on the bike. I just didn't want to notice a big change in the steering and what not.

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
I just put 31x10.5x15 in BFG TA/KOs on my Xterra. They kick ass...did some good wheelin this weekend. I drive it everyday so I went with the ATs rather thanthe MTs. Mudders are pretty hairy in the rain...

I am saving for teh 3" lift...it's about a grand plus you need new stearing with is another 400. There is a SAS comoug out this fall...it will give about 6" of lift...but you have to provide your own axle and you have to get custom driveshafts made. More info here http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000153

Tom

J

JRB

Tom Church said:
I just put 31x10.5x15 in BFG TA/KOs on my Xterra. They kick ass...did some good wheelin this weekend. I drive it everyday so I went with the ATs rather thanthe MTs. Mudders are pretty hairy in the rain...

I am saving for teh 3" lift...it's about a grand plus you need new stearing with is another 400. There is a SAS comoug out this fall...it will give about 6" of lift...but you have to provide your own axle and you have to get custom driveshafts made. More info here http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000153

Tom
So the more narrow tires will be ok??? ;)
cool on the work on yours. :thumb:

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Yeah I man they are not gonna get you everywhere but they do fine for me...you can fit 32x11.5 on the x without a lift...just some trimming of the plastic a in your front fenders (where the mud flaps are) and maybe a bit of a torsion bar crank. I have seen some people do some pretty good stuf with the 31" though. There is a speed diff calc at www.xterraownersclub.com

Tom

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
loco-gringo said:
and these BF Good rich tires -
The BFG long trails came stock on my 2003 4X4 Nissan Frontier. Off road they lack side grip and tend to cause the truck to slide down off camber sections. They also suck in the mud but then again they aren't mud tires. While turning on dry pavement i get a lot of squalling even at slow speeds. And in the rain it is very easy to break them loose and slide the truck around corners. I only have about 20000 miles on them but they are gonna get replaced very soon by (31x10.5r15) BFG All Terrains.

J

JRB

Just checked out the xterra site and know why I asked on RM. Those guys overthink things more than I do. Wow.

J

JRB

Booker said:
The BFG long trails came stock on my 2003 4X4 Nissan Frontier. Off road they lack side grip and tend to cause the truck to slide down off camber sections. They also suck in the mud but then again they aren't mud tires. While turning on dry pavement i get a lot of squalling even at slow speeds. And in the rain it is very easy to break them loose and slide the truck around corners. I only have about 20000 miles on them but they are gonna get replaced very soon by (31x10.5r15) BFG All Terrains.
I guess you think I should no get them. How is the wear at 20,000 miles???

Thanks

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
loco-gringo said:
I guess you think I should no get them. How is the wear at 20,000 miles???

Thanks
The wear is excellent. The tread looks almost new and i have been very rough on them (quite a bit of offroad driving). IMHO i would not spend the extra $50 for them. But keep in mind a have them on a 4X4 crew cab (long) truck. They may handle better on the 2wd X.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Loco are you for sure gonna get Wranglers? If so, cool, but the Cooper-made store brands (PepBoys Futura, Discount Dominator, etc) are pretty good tires and at a good price. I have 50k miles on a set of $95 (ea) PepBoys Futura 265/75s, and they still have a few months left on 'em.

Drive around town and look at some of the full-size GM trucks. Some have 245/75s on them stock. That should give you an idea what they'll look like.

Your steering will feel quicker/lighter because of the narrower tread. You will reduce your track by 1-2" total, which will have you marginally more prone to tippage and/or rollover. I dunno what an engineer would tell you, but I wouldn't give up any track in an SUV. . . I just don't see the benefit.

I'm sure you already know to make sure you have a high enough load rating.

J

JRB

Here's the poop and I think the final decision. I called Goodyear at lunch. They don't have the AT-D2s. Those are specific for Sam's and Wal-mart. Sam's can order 265/70 R16s for $94 and some change. It is $9 a tire for road hazard, mount and balance. The disposal fee is either $1 or $4 a tire. Goodyear wanted $575 mounted out the door for tires that are $104 each. Sam's should be about $470 out the door. I can't imagine that it is worth $100 more. Their hours are not as good. I think I will order the Sam's tires.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Best rubber I've ever had on my Jeep was Yoko Geolander AT+II's. Hook up well in everything, ride nice on the pavement, yet sidewalls are thick enough to take somewhat of a beating. I'd highly reccommend them. The BFG AT I had were not nearly as Impressive IMO. Goodyears - had a set of Wrangler RT/S's - run away...

J

JRB

I don't really do any off road stuff. I am not in need of beefy sidewalls on this thing.

J

JRB

stosh said:
you get your timing belt done yet?

No - why??? It has 40,000 miles. Should it be done??? Seems dumb since they say spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles. I know nothing. Gas motors are greek to me (please don't take insult math**** - if that could be disparaging in any way). I really want to know about tires, even though I believe my mind is made up.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco-gringo said:
No - why??? It has 40,000 miles. Should it be done??? Seems dumb since they say spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles. I know nothing. Gas motors are greek to me (please don't take insult math**** - if that could be disparaging in any way). I really want to know about tires, even though I believe my mind is made up.
oh you only got 40k.... yeah well you don't need it yet.

I got 95k on mine and I want to change it.... well I'm not gonna change it I looked in my haynes manual this weekend. Just the removing it requires like 20 different things to be disconnected.... anyway I wanted to know what the going rate for the service is. Thought you might have known.

J

JRB

stosh said:
oh you only got 40k.... yeah well you don't need it yet.

I got 95k on mine and I want to change it.... well I'm not gonna change it I looked in my haynes manual this weekend. Just the removing it requires like 20 different things to be disconnected.... anyway I wanted to know what the going rate for the service is. Thought you might have known.

No idea, but glad I have some time to go.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
loco-gringo said:
So the xterra needs some new tires soon. It now has 265/70-R16s, but these goodyear wrangler at/whatever I can't remember I found are 245/75-R16s. I found a cool online calculator and the MPH will be off 4/10ths at 100mph. Not a big deal. The height is almost identical, but the 245/75s are about 3/4 inch more narrow. Will this be noticable for a stability stand point? I always ran a more narrow 235/85 on my trucks, but never thought about being top heavy. Just wondering if anyone has any insight. There are options in the same tire size, but I don't like them as well. Maybe tomorrow I will do the whole, which tire is better deal. Thanks

Wow you do a lot of research on tires...all I care about is how pimp they look on the twennies and if they are mud and snow rated...

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
Who's they? I'd never go that long with the same plugs. I guess you could, but... I change mine every 25k miles.

The peeps at Nissan when I bought it. I really am used to injectors, so I have no idea.

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Wow you do a lot of research on tires...all I care about is how pimp they look on the twennies and if they are mud and snow rated...

I'm stuck in most instances in this thing, and snow, well, not really an issue for me. :D I do care about pimpy tread design though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco-gringo said:
The peeps at Nissan when I bought it. I really am used to injectors, so I have no idea.
yeah I changed mine at 80k.

Let me tell you I would rather change all the brakes pads on my entire car before I change the dreaded #6 spark plug on the xterra.

I just did my dist cap and rotor last weekend.

J

JRB

stosh said:
yeah I changed mine at 80k.

Let me tell you I would rather change all the brakes pads on my entire car before I change the dreaded #6 spark plug on the xterra.

I just did my dist cap and rotor last weekend.

Can't be any harder than the bolt on the powerstroke was to change the lift pump. It took over an hour to get it off and 2 1/2 to get it on. 4 bolts would have removed the turbo housing to get right to it. I discovered this right after I got started going back together. I figured it wasn't worth it then. Pffttt - I was wrong. I'm excited to do spark plugs now. :rolleyes:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco-gringo said:
Can't be any harder than the bolt on the powerstroke was to change the lift pump. It took over an hour to get it off and 2 1/2 to get it on. 4 bolts would have removed the turbo housing to get right to it. I discovered this right after I got started going back together. I figured it wasn't worth it then. Pffttt - I was wrong. I'm excited to do spark plugs now. :rolleyes:
read up on the dreaded 6th plug on XOC.

You have to crawl up on the engine and back to the fire wall. Snake the socket down and in with 2 extensions and a universal joinat.

J

JRB

stosh said:

You have to crawl up on the engine and back to the fire wall. Snake the socket down and in with 2 extensions and a universal joinat.

Are you a midget???

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
stosh said:

Hahaha. When i started searching websites for offroad info on my Frontier i ran across the "6th sparkplug tips" i read through them and thought it sounded pretty easy. Just for fun i decided i would see how hard it really was. It was pretty quick going getting it out once i had all the adapters set up. But holy sh*t did it suck putting it back in. I just kept thinking "brand new truck and my dumb a** is going to have to take it back to the dealer because i couldn't stop fooling with the spark plugs". My hands cramp up and i just kept getting pissed. Took about 30 min and another 10 to get the plug wire back on. :mumble: :nopity:

J

JRB

Phuckin no 265/70s available unless I am getting one adjusted. Phuck it, I am buying 245/75s. The guy at Nissan said it would be cool even if they are 3/4 inch more narrow. That's 3/4 of inch off the wheelbase. If that turns me over, so be it. I can and will buy load range E just for giggles since they are available.