Quantcast

Tire Suggestions????

V10 PA

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
Looking for a good DH tire combo that can rip through nasty rock gardens but at the same time be sweet in really muddy conditions.

In other words something that would work well at Snowshoe.
Last year i definetly didnt have the right match for the mud at norba there.

Any suggestions??

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Look for something with really wide open tread, maybe Mobsters or High Rollers (in slow reezaay) or Intense 909s.

Unfortunately nothing is going to work *really* well in both conditions.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by thaflyinfatman
Look for something with really wide open tread, maybe Mobsters or High Rollers (in slow reezaay) or Intense 909s.

Unfortunately nothing is going to work *really* well in both conditions.
I wouldnt recommend the 909s. They sucked last year. If you want intense, go intruder. Hands down the best mud tire ever created.

As for maxxis, i will be runnign a minion front and a high roller rear, both 40a. They seemed to work well in the mud the last few weeks, and didnt get packed up.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Originally posted by Transcend
I wouldnt recommend the 909s. They sucked last year. If you want intense, go intruder. Hands down the best mud tire ever created.

As for maxxis, i will be runnign a minion front and a high roller rear, both 40a. They seemed to work well in the mud the last few weeks, and didnt get packed up.
Fair enough, I haven't ridden the 909s in the mud (they're not that great in the dry either), but they were recommended to me for mud racing the other day.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by Transcend
The best mud tire ever? I would disagree, but to each his own. It was a great tire for Snowshoe, but SS is more than just mud as V10PA said.

As for Snowshoe tires, I'd suggest Michelin Comp 16's. I might try a 2.5F/2.2R setup this year, or just 2.5s. Kenda Nevegal ran tubeless was okay, but I've for the most part sworn them off after a race-ending mystery flat and some other odities. Maxxis Mobsters sucked for me in the SS mud, no grip at all. I wouldn't even try High Rollers or Minions, for XC they never seemed to do great in the mud.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I'm also interested in tire selection for Snowshoe. The pro/exp course is mostly fresh cut with lot's of wet loamy soil that packed up my Mobsters and Minions turning them into slicks. I'd would've been better off on Hookworms. Hopefully it will see lot's of riding this weekend and will get cut down to mineral earth. The Minion F/R combo did well for me last year in the wet there.

I was thinking Maxxis Swampthings or Wetscream for the rear and/or front in 40d. Any opinions?

Mike

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Like Dartman said about his tire combo, in the 10 or so times that I have ridden the course my minion/high roller combo packed up pretty badly. I haven't been able to track down a set, but I am thinking either the intruder's or a set of 2.5 swampthings 40a would be the hot ticket. If the course gets burned in good though, any good open tread tire should work pretty well.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I haven't ridden the new course yet, but if it's got the rocks that last years course did Swampthings or any mud specific tire would squirm all over and rip knobs off. I'll get a chance to try it this weekend.

edit: Swampthings might be okay, but def. not WetScreams.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
I ran 2.35 40 durometer swamp things up there last year and they seemed to do pretty well. I also ran them for the first race at Wolf last year on the new course when it was fresh and loamy and they really hooked up.

Granted the rider could have done better at SS and I did not get to try any pure mud specific tires to see how they compare.

V10 PA

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
Has anyone here tried the intense intruder tires?? Can they handle both mud and rock gardens??

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Originally posted by Leethal
is a lot less rocky, so I would suggest a mud tire or comp 16 2.2's front and back

Yeah the coarse has way less rocks, i rode alot of it on a hardtail last weekend. Totally dif IMO.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by V10 PA
Has anyone here tried the intense intruder tires?? Can they handle both mud and rock gardens??
I have and they can, extremely well. I raced both Mt Snow and WV on them last year and absolutely loved them.

Hulk - the minion/HR were packing up for you? I wont run wet screams or swamp things, to sketchy on the wet rocks and roots that I am sure will be present.

Gotta find me a set of maxxis tires that work. Hmm.