Quantcast

Tires for da subie

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Hey ya'all.
I need tires on my Outback. The stock tires are ok.
Great in rain, so-so cornering, good in snow but a lot of road noise.

I am looking for something that will be a bit more quiet while driving, and will work better in poor driving conditions. It dosen't have to be that great a cornering tire. I don't rail my Outback.

Anyone have any really good experiences with tires, anything to avoid?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Damn True said:
Hey ya'all.
I need tires on my Outback. The stock tires are ok.
Great in rain, so-so cornering, good in snow but a lot of road noise.

I am looking for something that will be a bit more quiet while driving, and will work better in poor driving conditions. It dosen't have to be that great a cornering tire. I don't rail my Outback.

Anyone have any really good experiences with tires, anything to avoid?
http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?IV=true&YW=1996&MA=SUBARU&MD=Legacy+Outback&SP=0&MN=4728&cat=3960&MNo=0&Prodid=10025135&Aspect=70&Diameter=15&Speed=S&Width=205

Got these about a month ago. I like em. Not super quiet, but the 80,000 mile (!) warranty was hard to pass up.

$450 installed in two hours.

They rail on dry pavement, but I have yet to get in any serious rain or adverse conditions.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Im more concerned with a quiet comfortable ride during the 90% of my driving (highway) and ice/snow traction when I'm going to Tahoe than I am with railing corners.
I kinda drive like a grandma.

I'll check those out though.

Also....anyone have a comparison between places like Tire Rack and Costco?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If you want quiet, comfort and good handling look into Michelins. Costco offers both costco exclusive and regular market Michelin (and other brands) tires but can get any tire from its various vendors. My last tires were very close in price to tirerack but way less hassle ultimately since mounting was included at costco. Try your local shop too, i just got new tires for my truck that exactly matched what tires from the tirerack (tire, shipping, mounting) would have cost me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have BFG T/A Touring tires on my Legacy. Quiet, corner well (well, it *is* a Legacy, so its cornering is not on rails anyway), good in rain. Haven't had 'em in snow, but should any day now.............. :thumb:

Got mine at CostCo too.

-S.S.-

J

JRB

While you're at Costco getting tires, you can get your casket too. I like Goodyear and Michelin tires best I think. Michelin first. I have only bought 16" truck tires since '91 though. Twice I helped the wife with tires for her Sentra. Bridgestone first and now Goodyear.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Damn True said:
Im more concerned with a quiet comfortable ride during the 90% of my driving (highway) and ice/snow traction when I'm going to Tahoe than I am with railing corners.

Hey True, I've been going to America's Tire Co, and they seem to have real good deals on tires, plus have a great selection. There should be one out your way.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
One of the nicest things about CostCo is that it's cheap and they give you lifetime rotation/balancing/etc. So every 5k or so I take it in when I have to get some stuff from the warehouse and let 'em rotate & check 'em.

-S.S.-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
One of the nicest things about CostCo is that it's cheap and they give you lifetime rotation/balancing/etc. So every 5k or so I take it in when I have to get some stuff from the warehouse and let 'em rotate & check 'em.

-S.S.-
Most good tire places will do that for only a few bucks when you buy your tire. I get that on my tires from my local tire place - it's only $4 per tire I believe, and it's right nearby so I don't have to worry about making a trip anywhere special (seeing as the nearest Costco is 45 minutes from me).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
binary visions said:
Most good tire places will do that for only a few bucks when you buy your tire. I get that on my tires from my local tire place - it's only $4 per tire I believe, and it's right nearby so I don't have to worry about making a trip anywhere special (seeing as the nearest Costco is 45 minutes from me).
Yeah. Sometimes I forget that not everyone has the convenience of a CostCo 5 minutes from work and one 10 minutes from home.

-S.S.-

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Damn True said:

Tire Rack is the only place I buy tires...they rule. I have alot of bro's that go to Costco and they are all happy.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Check out the Yokahama AVS at Tire Rack. $98 a tire and as far as I know they are real quite and also have the two rain/snow grooves cut in them. Do you have 16" or 15" wheels?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
stoney98 said:
step away from the re-92's quite possibly the WORST tires made. Which is funny because they come stock on Subie's.
Yeah, I was thinking of buying the take-off Re-92's from my room mates WRX, but I saw that they are VERY poorly reviewed.

I think all of the legacy cars still come with Michis though

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
I have BFG T/A Touring tires on my Legacy. Quiet, corner well (well, it *is* a Legacy, so its cornering is not on rails anyway), good in rain. Haven't had 'em in snow, but should any day now.............. :thumb:

Got mine at CostCo too.

-S.S.-
I was looking at those, they reviewed as being quieter than the Michi Radial X's I got. The woman at the Costco tire counter said that BFG was having some labor troubles though, and those tires might not be available in the future (warranty replacement, etc).

They only have about half the tread warranty of the Michi's. Cheap and quiet though.

BTW - Costco is having a big sale on grandfather clocks right now.
:rolleyes:

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Damn True said:
The Goodyear Assurance Tripletread tires seem to have the best combination of ratings. But $85 each is a bit steep.
Don't even blink at that. Tires on an Outback that you won't HATE are going to be at least $400 and tax.