Quantcast

Tires for my Subie

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Need 2 new tires for my Subie Outback Sport (the Impreza wagon outback...). Looking at Goodrich Traction T/A VRs. Any input?

I'm living on the East Coast till June then moving to San Francisco. I drive on highway, mostly, and tend to drive fairly aggressively but don't like spending time and/or money fixing the car (ie, replacing worn tires...). Had no probs with the stock Potenzas...liked them a lot...but would like something cheaper.

Thanks!

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
stoney98 said:
Nasioc.com

They can give you good info. You like the re-92's? You no drive like you ride then... Because they grip like a Larsen TT on muddy rocks. Sliding everywhere.

That's where I went first...but there wasn't much on the search, and so it seemed no one was into such low-brow rubber over there. Thought maybe someone here had used them.

I know nothing about car tires. Liked the Bridgestone ATs I used to have on my truck, but as for the subie, the AWD was plenty grippy and I've never owned a low-slung car before so I didn't know what to compare it to...seemed I could corner plenty hard going up and down to Big Bear. Ask BMXman who was with me on its virgin run.

Figured the Potenzas must have been decent due to their price...guess it figures.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
stoney98 said:
Nope, re92s are junk. They are good all condition though. Do you have 15" or 16"? I have a set of 15" wheels w/ tires I'd let go for cheap. they have about 15,000 on them.

16"...and thanks, but I have to have the new tires (and a new wheel!) ready by the weekend to drive down to Georgia.

I dented my wheel when I learned a hard lesson about parking in tight urban garages...concrete pillars are unforgiving. I have to find out if my insurance policy will cover the new wheel...I hope it will...the bodywork was done last month, but b/c I haven't been driving on the highway much, I didn't notice anything was out of balance for a few weeks. Local pavement's uneven and speeds are very slow.

As soon as I hit 75 on the on-ramp last wed, though, I knew something was out of kilter.Wheel nearly vibrated out of my hand; I thought maybe the tires were just badly balanced, as I'd had the tires rotated the day before.

MD

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Ive heard some good things about this new line of tire that Bridgestone has, Fuzion or some such thing. They have a line of all seasons as well as summer tires that are on teh cheap side. I was going to get my wife a set for her gti after one of her tires blew out, but it was covered under the tire warrantee so we just got the one replaced
The 235/45/17 (maybe a 225?) was about $80 per. Hit up the Tire Rack for reviews.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I've always had a suspicion that this was bunk, but this is from Subaru's website:

"For safe vehicle operation, SUBARU recommends replacing all four tires at the same time.
WARNING: All four tires must be the same in terms of manufacturer, brand (tread pattern), construction, degree of wear, speed symbol, load index and size. Mixing tires of different types, sizes or degrees of wear can result in damage to the vehicle's power train. Use of different types or sizes of tires can also dangerously reduce controllability and braking performance and can lead to an accident. Use only radial tires. Do not use radial tires together with belted bias tires and/or bias-ply tires. Doing so can dangerously reduce controllability which can result in an accident."

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MikeD said:
Need 2 new tires for my Subie Outback Sport (the Impreza wagon outback...). Looking at Goodrich Traction T/A VRs. Any input?

I'm living on the East Coast till June then moving to San Francisco. I drive on highway, mostly, and tend to drive fairly aggressively but don't like spending time and/or money fixing the car (ie, replacing worn tires...). Had no probs with the stock Potenzas...liked them a lot...but would like something cheaper.

Thanks!

MD
I put some Yoko Avid H4s tires on my Forester. They kick. Price was OK too, under $400 for all four mounted, ballanced, tax etc included.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
The "party line" now seems to be all 4 at the same time. Trash one tire, buy four. :think: :mad:
yep...i had to do that. for a goddamn leased car. ugh.

i went w Cooper tires. they were cheap and held air. had friction on paved surfaces. worked for me.

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Thats a crock of ****.

If they're the same size, width, and treadwear... you're fine.

I'm running 2 different sets of tires right now on my 05' STi.

225/45/R17 (Z-Rated) both front and rear.

The fronts are Falcons

the rears are Bridgestones.

No problems.

I'm getting my 2nd set of Falcons when my paycheck says I can.

lol.

Just drive man, and enjoy it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BigHit-Maniac said:
Thats a crock of ****.

If they're the same size, width, and treadwear... you're fine.

I'm running 2 different sets of tires right now on my 05' STi.

225/45/R17 (Z-Rated) both front and rear.

The fronts are Falcons

the rears are Bridgestones.

No problems.

I'm getting my 2nd set of Falcons when my paycheck says I can.

lol.

Just drive man, and enjoy it.
We're actually talking tires that are worn differently. Whether that makes a difference or not.

I suspect it doesn't but that SoA is covering their a$$es.