Quantcast

today's ride... better than the last one

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Got in a good ride today. I avoided most of the big hills until my legs get stronger, but I put on some decent mileage. Took it pretty easy for the most part, but I definitely found a good pace - fairly comfortable, but also reasonably fast. There were a few traffic lights on the route - I found myself racing cars a couple of times... fortunately, THEY didn't know I was racing them :blah:

I did an out and back... rode to my Aunt & Uncle's house. The ride out was basically all flat or dowhnill, the ride home was just the opposite. There were a few smallish hils as I got close to home, but nothing really challenging. Then I got to the one big climb I couldn't find a way to avoid. It's a failrly short hill, but steep enough. When I used to ride it on my mbt (22-34 gearing), it took a good spin and a lot of work to make... a hard climb, but not quite pushing my limits. On the road bike (30-23 gearing), I knew it was going to brutal. Started off with a nice spin... about 3/4 of the way up I started doing the zig zag thing to take some of the heat off. Then I decided to stand and hammer the rest of the way - probably 2-300 yards. I had read in MBA this morning about pushing your limits when climbing to increase strength/endurance... I gotta really tired, but kept at it. I made the climb, but then puked at the top. Not so sure I ever want to do that again... but I made it.

Distance: 27.1 miles
Time: 1:44:36
Average Speed: 15.5mph
Max Speed: 47.7mph

Now that I've got a good ride under my belt, it's safe to say that I love this bike. I can't believe how stable and solid it feels - over rough roads, in turns, at higher speeds - it's a great bike.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hmmmm. Puking is bad. The only time I puke is when my hydration routine is so screwed up that I can't absorb the fluids I need because I underhydrated during the effort - like at the end of a marathon run or a particularly hot century where I was riding beyond my ability.

I think you sould cut back. Spend at least 3/4 of your miles at a very moderate pace and climb hills at a rate that does not make you puke, save those efforts for race training. :thumb:

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
I agree with Serial on this one...uh puking is bad.You think it was the effort alone that did it or could there have been other factors?I have to say tho that i came close last weekend during a Crit race :dead:

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
When I eat and ride within 2-3 hours (depending on how big and what I eat), I will certainly see it again. It's as if all my blood goes into moving oxygen and the food is just left sitting in my belly, and the belly doesn't like that one bit.
I've learn to eat huge the night before (pasta and lots of protein) and just top my self off w/ fruits and breads 3 hours before any ride. While riding I can munch on Odwella bars or the like w/ plenty of water, but not before. Leaded water works out pretty well too.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
caputo1989 said:
I've ridden so hard: my face started twiching, legs went numb, and I pased out as soon as I got off my bike. At the end of a 8mile climb and 4000ft elev. change in 38.53 muinites.
BAAHAHAHA! You didn't sh!t your pants did ya? Found a huge skid mark on your seat after you woke up? :blah:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
GravityFreakTJ said:
I agree with Serial on this one...uh puking is bad.You think it was the effort alone that did it or could there have been other factors?I have to say tho that i came close last weekend during a Crit race :dead:
I think the effort was the big part of it... but just before I started the climb, I had a big swig of gatorade - probably too big. So between the two...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
jacksonpt said:
I think the effort was the big part of it... but just before I started the climb, I had a big swig of gatorade - probably too big. So between the two...
I've learned my lesson with gatorade and climbs. Only clear water right before hitting a high intesity climb. Never puked but have come darn close many a time.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
jacksonpt said:

Don't know if it will work for you but i fill my water bottles half Gatorade,half water.Give it a whirl and see if that helps...

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I'm pretty happy w/ any kind of sugar water, except sodas. I've tried the "Energy" tea from SoBe(?) and it was good for a few miles.
I was sipping on this stuff during an effort. I can see tho if you were to gulp it before, you might not do so well during.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Pau11y said:
I'm pretty happy w/ any kind of sugar water, except sodas. I've tried the "Energy" tea from SoBe(?) and it was good for a few miles.
I was sipping on this stuff during an effort. I can see tho if you were to gulp it before, you might not do so well during.

I have to cut mine with water or it just doesn't set well with me.Did 52 miles today with some intervals thrown in.It was 83 degrees and the Gatorade/water dealio seems to do the trick :thumb: