Quantcast

Tofu...

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
What's it all about?

I heard a guy talking today that said it's a real good source of protein and is relatively in-expensive, easy to cook and takes on the flavor of what ever you cook it with...

I'm pretty ignorant about tofu... is all this true? Is anyone a tofu person that could share some insight with me? Thanks!

:confused: :help:

EW, YUCK.

However, someone gave me this recipe if you dare to try it.

Mock Egg Salad:

This is a tofu classic! Some people think it really is egg salad. The mustard and turmeric give it the right color, and the other ingredients provide the traditional flavor. Adapt this recipe to include your own favorite seasonings.

8 oz tofu, crumbled or 1 pkg (10.5 oz) silken tofu
1 Tbs prepared mustard
1 Tbs honey
2 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp turmeric (optional)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup minced celery
1/4 cup minced green pepper
2 Tbs minced pickles

Crumble the tofu into a medium mixing bowl.

Combine the mustard, honey, vinegar, turmeric, onion powder, celery seed and pepper in a small dish. Pour over the tofu and mash together well.

Add the celery, green pepper and pickles and mix well again. You may serve it immediately, but letting it chill for a few hours allows the flavors to blend better.

Yield: 4 servings Serving size: 1/3 cup

Per serving: 84 calories, 4 g total fat (0.6 g sat fat), 7 g pro, 7 g carb, 1.2 g fiber, 67 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol

Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 lean meat

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
EW, YUCK.
Mock Egg Salad:

This is a tofu classic! Some people think it really is egg salad. The mustard and turmeric give it the right color, and the other ingredients provide the traditional flavor. Adapt this recipe to include your own favorite seasonings....
Why cant i just have real eggs?