Quantcast

tomac 204

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
ok thanx to all for posting...u guys were a lot of help, i guess im gonna go with the tomac. Couple more questions though....first, do u guys think a rear 5th element swap would really make a difference than the stock fox rc? Also, if i am correct, the last year they made this frame was in 2004?

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
yearoftiger said:
ok thanx to all for posting...u guys were a lot of help, i guess im gonna go with the tomac. Couple more questions though....first, do u guys think a rear 5th element swap would really make a difference than the stock fox rc? Also, if i am correct, the last year they made this frame was in 2004?
If you run a 42 or 44t chainring up front, I wouldn't bother with a Platform shock. In fact, I would just buy it with the Vanilla and send it to Push. That's probably going to be as good as anything else you can put on the bike. 2003 was the last year of production.

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
hmm..so my frame/parts is on its way...about a pushed fox shock, since it is very pricey to have them change the internals what is so special about them?? what do i get in terms of how the shock performs? At the price of having it pushed, can the pushed shock compare with an avalanche or fox dhx shock since i could probably pick either of those up for $300 or less?? thanx for the opinion...i am not very familiar with rear shocks so u'll have to bare with me.

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
just recieved the frame...i'll post some pics tomorrow. thanx for everyone's input...time to look for a front fork now(either a boxxer or an 03 super t)...as for the rear shock, i think i might go for fulton's el jefe shock since they are extremely similar to an avy.

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
i ran into the same issues with my rear edco hub that everyone else did. i just got a dt fr 160mm hub and had a friend make a 12mm axle that steps up to 20mm at the ends. i never had a problem after that. i put an mrp chainguide on with only a little bit of persuasion. worked like a charm.
my 2 cents

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
i just received the frame/parts. here are som pics of my half-built bike...i just need a front wheel/fork. i luv the linkage the frame has...really nice!!!Ignore the fork in the pic; i can't afford a bike stand so im usin it to stand the frame up :)

Attachments

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Just in case someone missed it Tomac and ABG have parted ways, this likely means that if JT and Bradbury can find new backers a Tomac Dh bike will return in '06 or '07. ABG pretty much butchered the Tomac brand and stifled them with top-heavy beauracracy, and forced Doug to turn into an e-engineer-cardboard-prototype-not real bike builder, which is a Freaking travesty given his level of expertise and knowledge....

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
yearoftiger said:
i just received the frame/parts. here are som pics of my half-built bike...i just need a front wheel/fork. i luv the linkage the frame has...really nice!!!Ignore the fork in the pic; i can't afford a bike stand so im usin it to stand the frame up :)
The 204 has a linkage?

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
It has a linkage-actuated shock. Lots of stuff going on between the swingarm and shock. Looks alot like MX-stuff :-)

Had one of those last year, I liked it a lot, but it has it's flaws. Rear hub and choice of chaindevice. But it rides really nice.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Jorgen said:
It has a linkage-actuated shock. Lots of stuff going on between the swingarm and shock. Looks alot like MX-stuff :-)

Had one of those last year, I liked it a lot, but it has it's flaws. Rear hub and choice of chaindevice. But it rides really nice.
true... rides great... i ve elimated one of the weak points - although it never failed me - the mr.dirt... running an e13 now... we ll see how it goes this season... the rear hub is a POS tho'

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Chris is no longer at American Bicycle Group. He moved on. Eric Buck is good to deal with if he's still there....he'll sound irritated at first but he's a good guy.

MATT Conto is the MAN!!!!

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
CharlieM said:
:mumble: Tomac is bad news....
sucks you had a a bad experience or something
but i had a great run with my MAG 204.
it felt great and when i had any issues tomac was right there to help out.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
The 204 is super beefy and durable. I have not had anything wrong with mine except for the occasional bent wheel or blown fork.
I keep hearing from Giant DH owners that the rear triangle gets loose with active riding and the bushings must be replaced. (There was a thread here last week where a guy had this problem.) It is definately lighter and more manueverable. A good bike for your girlfriend.
Both can race. The Tomac will roll harder and longer than the Giant cause its better.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
fast junior x here was sponsored by Tomac for 2 seasons...then he got a Chumba last season. I asked him if he liked it better....he looked at me as if to say "I want my two years of lost effort back". He was thrilled to be on the Chumba.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I pedal'd mine around on the road for a bit (8 miles or so), just to get used to it. It pedals very well w/ almost no induced bob. I didn't feel any chain feedback into the pedals when come off and hopping onto curbs, but that's not exactly real world conditions this bike will see. There maybe some contributions of the 5th to this. I just can't believe how light of a Ti spring I can run w/ the 5th (350#).
Hey Parts, how did you get the THE fender mounted on your Avy to keep crap off of the shock? I was thinking of using a neoprene booty on mine, but like yours better.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Pau11y said:
Hey Parts, how did you get the THE fender mounted on your Avy to keep crap off of the shock? I was thinking of using a neoprene booty on mine, but like yours better.

i used a little urethane bumper (a door stop to be exact) and cut it in half... then i pushed a threaded hex shaped sleeve in the hole... you can see it in the picture... the fender just bolts on either side... i used a couple of nylon and steel washers... she s in there real good...

works a treat...

i have the template for the fender still if ya need it... cut out cereal box :)

Attachments

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
haha...i still haven't got it built up yet. I just need the front fork...the guy who was gonna sell me a 05 boxxer flaked on me(so frustrating). i will definitely post pics once i have it up and running for sure maybe in a week. thanx for askin though.

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
Surprise!!! after months and months of waiting i finally received my boxxxer yesterday and slapped it on my bike quickstyle. All the bike needs is to be cabled up and then i can put some use to it. the boxxer is new and sux for now..but we will c how it progresses over time. let me know what u guys think of the ride

Attachments

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
yup...got a pretty good deal on the frame/parts from him. anyone know some quick/ingenius ways to stop the chainslap and to keep the chain from eating my swingarm away??? let me know

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
yearoftiger said:
yup...got a pretty good deal on the frame/parts from him. anyone know some quick/ingenius ways to stop the chainslap and to keep the chain from eating my swingarm away??? let me know
I just cut a tire up and tie wrapped it to the chain stays. Nice looking bike. I would love to try an 8" fork on my bike.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
One other thing you might want to do is get rid of that chain guide. I had an MRP with a 38T ring installed at the Snowshoe nationals last year. It really made a differance. The chain drags really bad on the MR. dirt. Just make sure you have a good mechanic put it on, there will be a lot of cussing and screaming going on. I had the guy at the MRP tent put mine on. He said it should only take about one hour, three hours later he was ready to throw my bike down the moutain. It was worth it though, like I said it made pedaling the bike alot easier.

Dennis

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I say keep the Mr Dirt. The pulleys and all that were breaking in mine so I just took them out. The guide has 2 plates and is fully enclosed, so even without the rollers it will be basically impossible for the chain to come off. Bike is now simpler, more efficient and quieter. I still run a 42T ring, which isn't too bad even with a road cassette.

Jan 13, 2005
Park City,Utah
when jason go that bike and it had the mr dirt all of his buddys including me just laughed. but we all stoped laughimg when our e 13s would get all crooked and we would have to stop and strited them or the countless times someone lost an mrp roller, but every time that mr dirt held up. and i was very impressed. i think its one of the most basic and effictive chain guide systems. but it is loud as hell.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Mike Like Bikes said:
when jason go that bike and it had the mr dirt all of his buddys including me just laughed. but we all stoped laughimg when our e 13s would get all crooked and we would have to stop and strited them or the countless times someone lost an mrp roller, but every time that mr dirt held up. and i was very impressed. i think its one of the most basic and effictive chain guide systems. but it is loud as hell.
Not to mention the plastic guidepieces shatter and the rollers break.

How does your e13/MRP get crooked and the mr dirt doesn't? If you use the ISCG mounts it cannot get crooked (altho many frames have this welded on wrong). If it is under the BB cup, a mr dirt will get just as crooked as any other guide.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
Your Tomac looks good in Blue.

Originally Posted by Mike Like Bikes
e 13s would get all crooked and we would have to stop and strited them
1. Install guide per instructions in the manual (SRS instruction manual)
2. Check your bolts after EVERY RIDE

Page 4 of the manual
-----------------------
NOTE:
"Guide performance is directly related to setup. Check your guide to make sure it is in adjustment after every run to minimize the possibility of failure."

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Transcend said:
Not to mention the plastic guidepieces shatter and the rollers break.

How does your e13/MRP get crooked and the mr dirt doesn't? If you use the ISCG mounts it cannot get crooked (altho many frames have this welded on wrong). If it is under the BB cup, a mr dirt will get just as crooked as any other guide.
One reason might be that the Mr. Dirt setup uses a 2 bashring deal. The inner guide plate is the same diameter and shape as the outer ring, just with an extended part where the rollers are. It's a decent guide.

flashgordon

Chimp
Oct 18, 2003
Woodinville WA
To answer your Q about chain slap I got some clear plastic tubbing from a hardware store, ran the shifter cable thru that and on top of the swing arm and ziptied it on.Now the chain runs over the top of the tube.It will wear on the tube a little so i run extra zipties where the chain makes the most contact.I also run an E13 with a 38tooth ring. The whole setup runs much better and quiter than stock.One last thing i forgot i allso slid an innertube over the swingarm. hope this helps.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I just run a layer of tape over the swingarm. Zipties and a tube would work fine. If you have a ring of 42T+, then the chain won't contact the swingarm at all.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
JRogers said:
One reason might be that the Mr. Dirt setup uses a 2 bashring deal. The inner guide plate is the same diameter and shape as the outer ring, just with an extended part where the rollers are. It's a decent guide.

for sure... i agree, the mr. dirt is a very good guide... i ve only just switched to an e13 this season after about 3 seasons on the mr. dirt... not a single problem... if it wasn t so noisy i doubt i d have switched...

black box

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
It appears that the links below to the Edco rear hub for Tomac 204don't work anymore. Do you know of anywhere else I can get diagram of it so I don't break anything when I take it apart?

Links fore the hub
http://www.thorusa.com/edco.htm
http://www.thorusa.com/bigrock135mm.jpg

The hub is fairly easy to take apart if you have the patience for it.

As for the frame it is super burly and over built. But once you get it up to speed is where it shines, the faster you let it go the better it handles.