Quantcast

Toobless for DH?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i did ghetto tubeless on my operator and loved it, aside from the heavy ass tires..

mtx 31
gorilla tape
stans goo stuff
cut down 949 valve
schwalbe wire bead dual ply.
any issues with the MTX's running ghetto'd? been wanting to try them on my 31's and 33's now that i have new rims to use. and which valve are you running?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
ive just tried setting up 2.5 butchers tubless, using stans fluid on dt swiss FR600 rims. They wont hold air..

rims are almost new but i cleaned them with 92% alcohol and used gorilla tape all the way to the inside edges and stuck that tape down hard. seated the beads with a compressor @ 55 psi overnight. I used roughly four ounces of sealant in the back tire. They seemed like they were holding air fine for the last few days and this morning I checked them and the rear is completely flat, the front has probably 15psi..

what a pita!!

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
any issues with the MTX's running ghetto'd? been wanting to try them on my 31's and 33's now that i have new rims to use. and which valve are you running?
other than the occasional pressure loss from sitting 3-4 weeks of no use, they held up awesome and they never burped or unseated on me. the only thing i didnt like was the weight of the dual ply tires, took a lot of pedalz to get it up to speed.

the valves are from a miata racing company, 949 racing. cutting them down is pretty easy.
http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/threaded-schrader-valve-ghetto-tubeless-621638-3.html
http://949racing.com/lugs-valves.aspx

i imagine the dh casing schwalbes would be a good canidate to try? theyre folding, correct?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
ive just tried setting up 2.5 butchers tubless, using stans fluid on dt swiss FR600 rims. They wont hold air..

rims are almost new but i cleaned them with 92% alcohol and used gorilla tape all the way to the inside edges and stuck that tape down hard. seated the beads with a compressor @ 55 psi overnight. I used roughly four ounces of sealant in the back tire. They seemed like they were holding air fine for the last few days and this morning I checked them and the rear is completely flat, the front has probably 15psi..

what a pita!!
that is very odd that they worked for a couple of days and then shit the bed... you didnt leave them at 55psi the whole time did you?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
the next day I relieved pressure to 30ish and rode with them for a few hours. They held fine. Then a few days later, flat!

So no tape out to the edges? I thought that's how "they" did it.. Just put it in the middle to cover holes?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You definitely want a tape strip in there serving more than just a rim strip. Beyond just helping seal it, some tire/rim combos need to be 'built up' a little so that any big gaps between the two get filled/supported.

If you're all the way to the edge, your bead might not be seated all the way because the tape is keeping the tire rolled in a little bit.. Cover as much as you can on the rim but leave 2mm back from the wall. Worth a shot.