Quantcast

Tortillas

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Nothing but flour tortillas at home for fajita's, tacos, etc for me, but every once in awhile I get a pack of them from the grocery store that is completely stuck togther and they rip. :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: Anyone have better luck with one brand over the other?

How about a method to separate them w/o them ripping? :dead:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
when in the store, grab the package and kind of bend it back and forth in your hands.

if the Torts are stuck, you can tell. if they aren't stuck, buy them.

I eat so many flour torts, I don't buy them if they are stuck so I can't help you with that. but I've never had a problem with them after starting to use this method.

brand doesn't really matter, I buy whatever looks good at the time. just make sure they are not stuck in the store. then you should be fine.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Tenchiro said:
Corn tortillas are where it's at. Plus they are almost never stuck together.
we always have a package of flour torts in our fridge. we don't use corn so often because, in my experience, they don't work as well for grilled tacos casadias. I do use them for enchaladas and normal tacos though. but rarely.

you got any good receipes using corn torts?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I got in the habit of using corn for everything but burritos. I just steam them between two wet paper towels directly on a stove burner to make them more pliable.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
The absolute best tortillas are the white corn tortillas from an authentic tortillaria. They're hard to find in the states, usually they're disguised as a carniceria or something to that effect. A carne asada taco on a corn tortilla still warm from the tortillaria topped with some fresh guacamole and a little bit of salt is to die for.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
berkshire_rider said:
Nothing but flour tortillas at home for fajita's, tacos, etc for me, but every once in awhile I get a pack of them from the grocery store that is completely stuck togther and they rip. :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: Anyone have better luck with one brand over the other?

How about a method to separate them w/o them ripping? :dead:
I buy Mission brand white corn tortillas, the small size. They're the only ones I've seen that aren't made with hydrogenated oil, and the ingredients list doesn't take up half the package. I make sure they're not stuck before buying, but if they are I nuke 'em with moist paper towels and a plate on top before separating.

Mostly I make whole wheat flour tortillas at home, very easy and not loaded with lots of artificial crap like storebought. Baked chimichangas is where it's at.

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
pnj said:
when in the store, grab the package and kind of bend it back and forth in your hands.

if the Torts are stuck, you can tell. if they aren't stuck, buy them.

I eat so many flour torts, I don't buy them if they are stuck so I can't help you with that. but I've never had a problem with them after starting to use this method.

brand doesn't really matter, I buy whatever looks good at the time. just make sure they are not stuck in the store. then you should be fine.
That is the same way i pick a fresh butterfinger.