Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
EQB: sold. prepped it for delivery: ExpressToll pass removed from windshield (that adhesive is tenacious), extra garage remote and work parking pass removed, sunglasses and sundry cables relocated, floor mats shaken out over the garbage, original carpet floormats and the cargo cover located and put in the back. removed my plates and the new tow hook mount and set him up with the good through September temp tag I had still in the garbage. tow hook cover located and reinstalled.

Guerilla Gravity order: canceled, as not even a tentative inquiry regarding the Commencal, and part of the rationale for the GG would be to be my park bike (not sure if lifties would balk at me loading up the Shuttle).

Time to withdraw some money and realize that loss on it. :D

edit: will do that tomorrow when I know how much I'm getting paid for this month, so as to balance out the math.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
EQB: sold. prepped it for delivery: ExpressToll pass removed from windshield (that adhesive is tenacious), extra garage remote and work parking pass removed, sunglasses and sundry cables relocated, floor mats shaken out over the garbage, original carpet floormats and the cargo cover located and put in the back. removed my plates and the new tow hook mount and set him up with the good through September temp tag I had still in the garbage. tow hook cover located and reinstalled.

Guerilla Gravity order: canceled, as not even a tentative inquiry regarding the Commencal, and part of the rationale for the GG would be to be my park bike (not sure if lifties would balk at me loading up the Shuttle).

Time to withdraw some money and realize that loss on it. :D

edit: will do that tomorrow when I know how much I'm getting paid for this month, so as to balance out the math.

You clearly need to analyze your purchases more. Perhaps a defining attributes in system level meta-model would be more fruitful.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
at this point, the financial pain of this churning is far less of a concern than my sense of regret for having committed to the wrong thing. this holds for the ill-fated XC40 (the road noise!) and the EQB (its size and cargo capacity really being its only failing, because physics + packaging + normal length hood) alike.

so I don't really regret these last 4 years other than having made those choices initially. and now I know that much more about what makes me tick long term and what doesn't.

with that in mind, my plans now that the Land Cruiser can stay undriven and clean inside the garage (once the EQB buyers pick it up--it's parked, at 100% SOC for them now as they don't have a L2 EVSE in their house in Fort Collins yet!):

- do not buy an ID.Buzz, no matter how cute the color schemes are, because of its interior volume utilization shortcomings wrt the PacHy
- take the Land Cruiser for weekend ski jaunts whenever there's any snow on the road or snow forecast, and not chase efficiency for wasted time putting on Autosocks on the PacHy, etc.
- straight up trade the now kinda beat up PacHy for a Pacifica BEV or whatever Stellantis calls it when they get off their asses and make one
- ... then do nothing for a while until I deleverage my balance sheet some more, pay off mountain home renovation costs and the like
- finally replace my Land Cruiser with something electric that catches my fancy. huge pack Ram BEV pickup? it won't be small, it'll be 4WD, and it has to have some gimmick like V2H/V2G that sucks me in.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the hot tub that was for there is the one that'll be plopped down in our back yard in Denver after the electrical (July 24-25) and concrete (July 26-27) work gets done
electrical: done

IMG_0165.jpeg

hot tub power 30A circuit stub out within staked off area for the 12 x 9’ pad.

IMG_0167.jpeg

side of garage has a lot of crap on it now. new 14 slot 100A subpanel is the grey one top left.

IMG_0168.jpeg

old subpanel. note breaker for subpanel-from-subpanel.

IMG_0169.jpeg

Lots of room for future circuits now if the load can be borne.

concrete pad and walkway work happening today and tomorrow as planned. budget for month balanced given all these goings on, including paying down the HELOC for the money I over-withdrew not knowing how much I’d need for paying the currently due mountain house renovation bills.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Your life is too complicated for me. :D
and admittedly this is because I make it so. but a hot tub is a worthy goal. and that's happening.

all this heat pump business could be deferred until my current equipment fails. and probably will given the quotes--one heat pump water heater outfit came back somewhat reasonable but given how good my twin NG tankless ones are I probably shouldn't.

:homer:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Power’s out. This is a sign I should get two Powerwalls eh

:D

(not going to at these current costs. but having a future BEV with V2H and V2G for power on days would be awesome.)

IMG_0183.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_0188.jpeg
IMG_0189.jpeg

Forms laid for the concrete work. They stripped the grass going to the other gate as well due to a communication error. Just as well—got to reseed the whole lawn in the fall anyway.

In the top photo note the buried downspout in the middle of where the pad will be. He will extend it past this area so as to not get undermining/subsidence.

IMG_0184.jpeg
IMG_0186.jpeg
IMG_0187.jpeg

during the power outage that resolved as I was doing this I de-wall mounted the TV. looks like the bolt that pulled out was in a stud. Either way the wall mount is going back to Costco—don’t trust it at full extension as I was using it. TV was nominally in size/weight limits so this a legit gripe.

Now it’s on the LG stand.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_0219.jpeg

tv back up on the console. No more wall mounts

IMG_0221.jpeg

got a big ol’ air purifier for our room from Costco. It measures PM2.5!

IMG_0215.jpeg
IMG_0216.jpeg
IMG_0217.jpeg
IMG_0218.jpeg

concrete forms all done. Pouring concrete Monday morning. Covered up in case there’s (more) rain.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Re home values, a house across the street from us is on sale. 24 days listed, dropped from 1.3 to 1.199 already. Much smaller than ours but nicer finishes than our house currently stands (ours will be comparable in finishes after all this, and again much, much bigger).

Another bellwether. 2,336 sq ft, half duplex, in Tabernash across the creek from my house: I can see it from my porch.

they’re asking $950k
dropped from 1.3 to 1.199 to 1.1 flat now. how low will it go?!

holding steady thus far, only on market a few weeks yet.
first one still asking 1.1 but noticeably not sold yet

second now down to 899 vs a 949 Zestimate.

:shocked:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
state of the quotes. all coming back expensive. I won't be doing any of these elective projects at these net prices.

View attachment 197547

Elevated math is a placeholder with $0 install cost at moment, so isn't accurate
state of the quotes, 7/28 edition

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 10.52.27 PM.png

net price on the smart heat pump water heater from Water Heater Experts is not bad, but as the UniColorado dude said this gen had not been entirely reliable I will refrain until the next gen comes through. I should get on an A.O. Smith promo mailing list :D

this is doubly true since they're replacing lovely dual tankless NG Navien water heaters and this doesn't have to be done.

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 10.52.56 PM.png

the cold climate air source heat pump quotes are all clustering. similar good thoughts to go with Mitsubishi from many vendors. and with the Fed tax credit nominally 30% but capped at a sad $2k they're all just not price competitive to replace a working system. if mine were broken and I had to pick something then I'd be going with the oversized 4 ton Helio quote (Mitsubishi would have much better sub-zero Freedom heat pump performance than Bosch so I'd hit the resistive strips less--worth the small premium imo). but mine is not broken.

the net price for the Helio quote would be $6,260 if the Fed 30% credit amount weren't capped. still wouldn't do it. but much closer to that point of making it make sense. i want to de-carbonize my HVAC. but not that much.

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 10.52.04 PM.png

All of the battery backup quotes are far too high net to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got myself a massage chair, since I have coveted one for a while and this one went on sale at Costco.com.

IMG_0242.JPEG

Came on a pallet.

IMG_0246.JPEG

Got it unpacked.

IMG_1609.JPEG

Got it upstairs with the help of a neighbor. This part weighs 185 lb and the footrest bit is another 60 or so.

IMG_0290.JPEG

IMG_0291.JPEG

It functions. It squeezes the crap out of me. Got to figure out how to adjust it and dial it down. Then again, I did pick "therapy".

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mitsubishi would have much better sub-zero Freedom heat pump performance than Bosch so I'd hit the resistive strips less--worth the small premium imo
So the finances didn’t play out at all. Stupid capped Federal tax credit. But I did learn a thing or two:

- performance of a given compressor varies with which air handler and/or mini split heads one pairs it with, so specifics matter

- performance of my gas furnace (96% efficient nominally, two stage so has a ~60% capacity initial one then fires up to 100% if the thermostat is still calling for heat after a few minutes) is derated by altitude, which makes sense

- my current AC condenser is actually only a 2 ton, not a 2.5 as I thought. Furnace is 5 ton but derated to 46k BTU because of altitude.

- with that 46k at full tilt as context (and we never have days when we run at full load all day to keep up with the heating demand) the performance of the Mitsubishi cold climate heat pump is astounding. From a quote that actually had a 4 ton outside unit (sized for heating load, does 54k actually) with both an air handler and 3 mini split heads in upstairs bedrooms since the condenser can do that:

IMG_0578.jpeg
IMG_0295.jpeg

Full rated heating performance—and greater than my actual NG furnace performance at this altitude through 5 Freedoms and only marginal falloff at -17! Amazing.

Admittedly this includes windchill. But from this I can get away with not running any expensive + expensive to run + service upgrade likely required 10 kW backup resistive strips!

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We made it DEN-OTH fine. 3/4 bags did as well. Other one is at SFO now :D

a few snaps from the parents’ garden

IMG_0316.jpeg
IMG_0324.jpeg
IMG_0325.jpeg
IMG_0320.jpeg
IMG_0318.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Are your parents growing any weed? If not... they should be. :homer:
They actually used to grow a ton. Way more than they could smoke. So they used extra by making oils and other hippie crap with that. I think they’re not growing any more.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_0377.jpeg
IMG_0378.jpeg

a hidden trove of exercise gear in a storage room down here. Might even do a few bench presses. That backpack blower to the right has been with my parents since I was in middle school. They’ve paid to have all this crap moved many times…

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But from this I can get away with not running any expensive + expensive to run + service upgrade likely required 10 kW backup resistive strips!
The "service upgrade likely required" bit came from the one most detailed contractor assuming the incoming service was 150A, not 200A. (The ambiguity is because my main panel doesn't have a main breaker. There's an external disconnect although I honestly don't know exactly where.)

Anyway, the main panel is 40 slots, which implies 200A, and the meters are all 200A meters. And I called Xcel's builder's line this morning and, voila, the service is indeed 200A.

So I wouldn't need a service upgrade were I to need resistive strips. But I also wouldn't need the backup resistive strips in the first place with a properly sized 4 ton Mitsubishi setup, either per the above post's math. And this is all not happening any time soon. At least I know I'm not stuck with 150A.

IMG_0031.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_0401.jpeg

saw some deer frens on morning walk

IMG_0400.jpeg

super foggy in morning, burnt off after walk

IMG_0389.jpeg

walking buddies

IMG_0384.jpeg

Baby Aya being snuggly

IMG_0383.jpeg

Natto is some weird shit. Didn’t dislike it, per se. Didn’t like it, either. Ate it since it’s supposed to have good nutrition benefits but won’t partake in future

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_0433.jpeg

Tickets acquired

IMG_0434.jpeg

not a 1570 1:43:1 true screen. But 1.80:1 will have a bit of the vertical expansiveness, IMAX with Laser is a step up from plain Digital (xenon), and Southcenter’s parking is easier to navigate than that at Pacific Science Center. (RapidRide and Link would both put us a mile away.)

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a hidden trove of exercise gear in a storage room down here. Might even do a few bench presses
state of the Toshi strength work fitness these days:

145 lb x 3 reps bench felt moderately difficult. With the janky bench (25 lb curl bar there, width mismatched with rack) and my dad spotting didn’t feel like pushing it. Haven’t benched consistently since undergrad. And that was a long ass time ago

~2.5 pull-ups with either hand position from a full hang at the bottom of each rep.

stronger in leg extension exercises than hamstring curls. Which is probably physiologic.

I should get a home gym type setup when my wife clears out enough space in the basement mechanical room as this is likely complementary to my easy hours spinning and walking

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

An additional 350MW output and 1,400MWh energy capacity has been added to the plant, bringing it to a total 750MW/3,000MWh.

[Resource adequacy] requirements include delivery of electricity in four-hour blocks, which is why most new-build battery storage facilities in the state have durations of that length.
and the site is big enough that they could end up at 1.5 GW/6 GWh total in the end.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
we've got a ton of extra moonlighting hours this month up for grabs: short staffed due to vacations and having two new hires starting August.

long and short of it is that I might gross $27k in moonlighting alone for the month (pre-tax, hmph). and I shall try and work as many of those hours as I can: WFH, at my own leisure/working around kid bedtimes/dinner/etc.

:notbadobama:

edit for updated number as more hours yet available now.
and assuming I do do this by then I'll have netted enough to have kicked my Betterment slush fund account back up to $60k+. maybe even a month earlier than that even with the hot tub pad/electrical costs.

at that point I shall resume my usual 403(b) and 457(b) contributions, and shall dial in 403(b) contributions for the wife when she goes back to work come August. (the 401(a) never stops other than hitting the IRS annual comp limit/never stopped because it's not my choice as a mandatory plan.)
for those of you following along:

- will decidedly not be at $60k in my slush fund come the end of this month since I recently funded some of the latest mountain house renovation invoices from the taxable account

- I am ok with this low taxable account balance, though, as that means I have that much more in headroom in the HELOC and, importantly, because month to month cash flow should be positive from here on out. ditching the EQB car note albeit with the one time charge to pay it down will help here.

- will be bigly positive for September as I ended up moonlighting for 129 nominal hours over July (paid out end of August). $28k+ gross just for the moonlighting alone, but at my marginal rate I'll see much less of that, hmph. plus expensive month (traveling now, massage chair, new fancy air filter, misting umbrella and replaced patio furniture since old ones super super sun faded, paid for repairs on one of my trumpets, 6 month auto insurance bill, paid for the very short lived plates on EQB, paid for December Nutcracker box reservation, etc.). still soundly positive even with all that.

- anyway, long and short is that I'm resuming my non-mandatory retirement contributions as of end of this month. won't try to catch up for lost months—not only for cash flow but because then I'd have to rejigger amounts later on. the astute reader will recall that I have a mandatory 401(a) that marched on as always, at least until I hit the IRS annual comp limit at which point both my 5% and my employer's 10% contributions goes away for the year. I actually exceeded that limit by a bit at the point of my end of July paycheck, for the sleuths out there.

Cliffs Notes: Toshi still has a metric shit ton of debt. but things now settling down enough that it's mentally time to dial the retirement contributions back in and save on some taxes.

Last edited: