Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just asked in the Edmunds lease thread for the Ioniq 6 what the non-marked up MF should be. At a non-marked up 0.00280 MF (if assumptions from other areas hold true here) that'd be $207/mo all inclusive of TTL and the acquisition fee for that AWD SEL—but recall this is including the signing over of the CO state credit. I'd be very tempted at that price point as there'd be only marginal extra cost beyond that for gas for the Land Cruiser.

edit: paying the whole lease up front, a one-pay lease, would net a discount of 0.0009 on the money factor. That’d take it down to $143/mo. Insurance would increase by $114/mo with the additional car. Tempting indeed

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Just asked in the Edmunds lease thread for the Ioniq 6 what the non-marked up MF should be. At a non-marked up 0.00280 MF (if assumptions from other areas hold true here) that'd be $207/mo all inclusive of TTL and the acquisition fee for that AWD SEL—but recall this is including the signing over of the CO state credit. I'd be very tempted at that price point as there'd be only marginal extra cost beyond that for gas for the Land Cruiser.
It kinda looks like the front of VW and rear of a porsche, I am on the hunt for a used AWD hybrid that I like that will live in the arizona garage

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Lifting night. Took last Thursday off, only did 8/8/7 reps on bench alone on Sunday. Full sets tonight.

The hotel in Mazatlan will have a weight room no doubt. Will get some lifting in there, too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
edit: paying the whole lease up front, a one-pay lease, would net a discount of 0.0009 on the money factor. That’d take it down to $143/mo. Insurance would increase by $114/mo with the additional car. Tempting indeed
True non-marked up money factor even a bit lower. $120/mo! Got the details on non-marked up MF from the Edmunds lease forum.

IMG_1670.jpeg

Threw my hat into the ring:

“I poked around and found that the non-marked up money factor should be 0.00256. I’d do this as a one-pay lease, so another 0.0009 from that. I’m getting $2,873 all in as a one-pay lease with these numbers. Can you make that happen?”

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what the hell...is that 120/mo for the ioniq 6? That car is ugly as sin and I can't bring myself to buy one, but that's a crazy deal regardless. I'd love to replicate on an ioniq 5....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
what the hell...is that 120/mo for the ioniq 6? That car is ugly as sin and I can't bring myself to buy one, but that's a crazy deal regardless. I'd love to replicate on an ioniq 5....
it's an artifact of the Colorado $5k (or apparently $5,600 ex $250 processing fee to sign it over?) EV tax credit, which is good for purchases and 24 mo+ leases.

that tax credit is baked in as an additional cap cost reduction. net cap cost is below residual value! the lease rent is entirely of interest. pretty cool mathematically :D

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Interesting. MA has a 3500 rebate for the ioniq 6, even in 2024. Does that affect the advertised 239 price? I reached out to a couple of dealers who will likely ignore me, but I've been thinking about going electric with my new shitty commute, and that's lower than I pay with 1.5% interest on my current car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Interesting. MA has a 3500 rebate for the ioniq 6, even in 2024. Does that affect the advertised 239 price? I reached out to a couple of dealers who will likely ignore me, but I've been thinking about going electric with my new shitty commute, and that's lower than I pay with 1.5% interest on my current car.
$239 no doubt has all available incentives already rolled in to the cap cost reduction

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
True non-marked up money factor even a bit lower. $120/mo! Got the details on non-marked up MF from the Edmunds lease forum.

View attachment 209358

Threw my hat into the ring:

“I poked around and found that the non-marked up money factor should be 0.00256. I’d do this as a one-pay lease, so another 0.0009 from that. I’m getting $2,873 all in as a one-pay lease with these numbers. Can you make that happen?”
my calculations were wrong. he replied:

"So the calculation for the negotiated price is wrong. what isn't factored into your calculation is that rebates act as taxable money, so you're paying 8.8% on 15,350 in rebates."

that makes sense. and that kills it along with the local money factor here being 0.00300 (- the 0.0009 for one-pay). so I'll buy gas instead.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my calculations were wrong. he replied:

"So the calculation for the negotiated price is wrong. what isn't factored into your calculation is that rebates act as taxable money, so you're paying 8.8% on 15,350 in rebates."

that makes sense. and that kills it along with the local money factor here being 0.00300 (- the 0.0009 for one-pay). so I'll buy gas instead.
turns out he just had old info on the money factor (0.00300 as of the start of the month, 0.00256 as of 3/19). but that doesn't matter: the taxable credits do.

the only way this will make sense for me as a "free" extra car ~price of gas for the Land Cruiser is with a special promo or a marked drop in interest rates in the future.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
There is one of those at a house up the street. Everyday I have to drove by that abomination.

It glares back at me every time.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
TBH, it's not any more blah than most of the generic blob CUVs currently running around on the roads. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It is fairly aggressively ugly, I admit

but aerodynamics yo

anyway it’s not happening for me barring a big interest rate climate shift. Lease rent is all interest with the cap cost reductions.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Demo booked. Pick up Friday, ski Saturday, return Saturday.

Thought about taking the Amtrak to Winter Park or Snowstang to Copper but the return trip might be too late to return the skis. Plus it's not super convenient. $69 or $25 for those options + getting myself to the terminal.

View attachment 209296
That’s a snappy short radius

IMG_1671.jpeg
IMG_1672.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ikon 2.PNG

Ikon Base Plus this year. for Taos spring break access 2025, going to try to meet up with my NM buddy's family. probably won't make it to Aspen or Jackson realistically but also possible.

$1200 premium between the 5 of us for Base Plus vs just Base, but paying for tickets off pass would have eaten that up posthaste. it's just money, after all. wife and I get the "college student" discount because I have two different email addresses that validate in their stupid system. and kids passes at least got $100 off each under ours.

ikon 3.PNG

financed it because 'Murica. but seriously 6 mo @ 0% APR is something I will totally take. and did.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Cat slipped into the bath. Wife was not amused and neither was the cat. Some scratches were sustained

IMG_1679.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sights from the road

IMG_1687.jpeg
IMG_1690.jpeg

IMG_1686.jpeg
IMG_1692.jpeg

that’s an Ineos Grenadier. Apparently they’re available in the US now.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Re the skis: Did two quick hours at Winter Park on the Meier Wranglers.

IMG_1691.jpeg

I did not care for them: felt like the radius at the tail was longer and didn’t match the rest of the ski, bit of tip wobble, and the tails just didn’t want to release even when deliberately skiing far front seat.

video of me being mildly awkward on them here from the first run of the day:

I could de-tune the tails a ton… but then I’d have gained nothing from my Mindbender 108 Ti daily drivers, imo.

They just didn’t feel right for this snow and how I like to ski.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
minibike fun today. Mariko is able to ride it! other two kids too small. took all 3 for tandem rides, too. wife did not ride it and probably shall not.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ould de-tune the tails a ton… but then I’d have gained nothing from my Mindbender 108 Ti daily drivers, imo.

They just didn’t feel right for this snow and how I like to ski.
I still would like to demo some Mindbender 89 Tis. Similar on paper to the Wranglers today but more to my taste on execution maybe?

Next weekend I don’t have time to pick anything up so will be on my 116 Cs but I might make some midweek trips early April.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Another late season ski equipment-fuckery experiment: I think I’ll rent some Blizzard Rustler 10s mounted up with Dynafit Rotation pin bindings and tool around Loveland inbounds. Thursday Apr 4 is the day free on my schedule at the moment, and I am trying to justify my underused Loveland midweek pass (that I shan’t renew).

I want to experience for myself how pin bindings feel downhill, having skipped that whole phase by picking Cast. There are such varied opinions online, so no substitute for trying it myself.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hotel is also noisy. Main culprit is this water filter thing in the hallway by the ice maker clamoring for a new UV light

IMG_1713.jpeg

IMG_1715.jpeg

I will unplug it somehow if it’s not fixed by this evening. I let the maintenance crew know replete with a photo of it and exact location

(it beeps about every 30 sec. High F sharp-G. Five beeps. Loud.)

In other news, poolside time

IMG_1721.jpeg

edit: not possible to unplug as it was hardwired via conduit and I have no tools or access to the upstream breaker. so got a new room. no beeping noises here now

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
idly looking into Kona EV lease deals. first going to get the scoop on what's a non-marked up MF, RV, and from factory incentives. there's some local stock whether here or inbound. cars.com shows most at MSRP but a few a bit under.

it's the taxes bit that gums up these deals.

example from Arapahoe Hyundai:

LEASE OFFER
Lease a 24 Kona EV SEL for $179 per month for 24 months with $1,999 due at lease signing.

Closed end lease for 2024 Kona EV SEL (Model #Q14D2FEZ) available from March 19, 2024 through April 1, 2024, to well-qualified lessees approved by Hyundai Motor Finance. Not all lessees will qualify. Higher lease rates apply for lessees with lower credit ratings. Offer shown based on $1,999 due at lease signing (includes $179 first payment and $1,820 capitalized cost reduction). No security deposit required. MSRP $38,050 (includes destination, excludes tax, license, title, registration, documentation fees, options, insurance and the like). Actual net capitalized cost $28,980.00. Net capitalized cost includes $650 acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect actual lease payment. Total monthly payments $64,444.00. Option to purchase at lease end $29,298.50. Lessee is responsible for third-party fees. Third-party fees vary by state or locality. Lessee is also responsible for insurance, maintenance, repairs, $.20 per mile over 10,000 miles/year, excess wear, and a $400 disposition fee. Disposition fee of $400 applies in all states except in CO, IN, IA, KS, ME, OK, SC, WI, WV, & WY, where disposition fee is subject to state law limitations.

CO, IA, KS, ME, OK, WV, & WY: The amount of 2 times the base monthly lease payment or $400, whichever is less. IN & SC: The amount of 3 times the base monthly lease payment or $400, whichever is less.
that net cap cost already includes the CO rebate, only with less generous Hyundai-contributed cash. so it's the same situation as with the proposed Ioniq 6 lease deals, only with less (taxable) cap cost reductions.

hmph, probably similarly doesn't make sense for the same reasons.

similar from Planet Hyundai. cute net price quoted. but TTL on the full amount, etc. at least with Hyundai they're just throwing a Fed tax credit-equivalent amount of money on the hood, which is good for IRA-ineligible me and all.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
idly looking into Kona EV lease deals. first going to get the scoop on what's a non-marked up MF, RV, and from factory incentives. there's some local stock whether here or inbound. cars.com shows most at MSRP but a few a bit under.

it's the taxes bit that gums up these deals.
got the details. numbers time via the Leasehackr calculator, which seems to be the best one incorporating state taxes (albeit still not quite lining up with what I was getting via the dealer for the Ioniq 6 quote).

anyway, the deal in question, this for 80238 zip, 24/12 lease:

SE: 0.00267 MF and 72% RV
SEL: 0.00330 MF and 77% RV
$7500 lease cash
I will assume $1,000 off MSRP as well as a signed-over $5,350 CO credit on top of that lease cash.

MSRPs, ex $1,335 destination

2024 Hyundai Kona ElectricMSRP
Kona Electric SE$32,675
Kona Electric SEL$36,675

for the SE we're looking at $34,010 MSRP including destination, $33,010 assumed selling price, residual of $24,487, MF 0.00267 (6.41%). net cap cost would be $17,660, amusingly well less than the residual.

under these assumptions with my local 8.81% tax rate applied, Leasehackr calculates a one-pay lease of, uh, -$3,411 due at signing, nothing after that by definition. amazing.

for the SEL it's $38,010, $37,010, $29,268, MF 0.00330 MF (7.92%), net cap cost $24,160.

under these same assumptions Leasehackr says a one-pay would be: -$360 at signing (!!), nothing after that by definition.

update: let's redo this at straight MSRP, no discount before the rebates, one-pay lease.

SE would be -$2,277 at signing.
SEL would be $791 at signing.

got emails out to several dealers to see if anyone will play ball.

edit 2: updated SE numbers with extra credit it's eligible for per CO due to its <$35k MSRP

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Awaiting dealers getting back to me to see if they’ll play ball on this Kona.

meanwhile quoted out how much my insurance would change if I added one to my policy. $320.63/6 mo. And my Land Cruiser’s miles could be lowered so even less net.

this might happen. Probably not but might.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
McDonald Hyundai: no Kona EVs in stock. Two incoming but reserved.

Arapahoe: one listed on site sold 3/23. More incoming next month but need to await what the Hyundai-set incentives will be.

Foundation: gave an initial quote with $1,600 in markup between "accessories" and bogus doc fees. and marked up the MF. asked them to try again. :D Foundation's followup offer was of $1,301 in markup and still having the MF marked up 0.0004. yeah, nah

Stevinson: $699 dealer fee garbage + pocketing the 0.0009 MF discount on the one-pay, which swings the math by about $2,100 between those two factors. nope

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a post in which I'll back of napkin 24/12 lease costs for some other prospects (criteria being credit eligible, as cheap MSRP as possible):

2024 Prius Prime SE. $32,975 MSRP + $1,195 destination fee. per March 1 data for a different ZIP (but likely in line nationally), 0.00335 MF with assumed 0.001 reduction for one-pay per old data, 72% residual, $4,500 Toyota lease cash. this should be eligible for $7,850 in signed-over CO tax credits being under $35k MSRP + destination so $12,350 in taxable rebates. 8.81% local tax.

Leasehackr gives me a one-pay lease of $1,617 under these assumptions. ok, but not enough to make me jump.
2023? apparently Kia Niro EV Wind. $39,600 MSRP + $1,295 destination fee == $40,895. per March 4 data for a different ZIP 0.00272 MF, 72% residual, $7,500 lease cash. I can't find the precise MF reduction for one-pay (for EV9 leases it's 0.00140 reduction but that's a different ballgame) so let's assume 0.0009 like Hyundai. $5,350 signed-over FCO + that $7,500 Kia cash is $12,850 in taxable rebates. same local tax.

one-pay $3,049. hmph.
so Kona EV or bust. maybe next month if incentives hold steady on Hyundai's end.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I want to experience for myself how pin bindings feel downhill,
You don’t go touring to ski hard packed groomers, it’s really an infrequent occurrence if you're lucky.
I took one pair of skis on my MT trip. WNDR Vital 100 with Tecton bindings. We skied inbounds and backcountry on quite steep terrain in boot+ deep perfect snow. "New" pin toes with some elasticity ski great on firm-ish snow. I'd argue they're invisible under you in any soft snow - so long as your shit is setup properly.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so far this year I've had to

protest my 2023 CO state tax return (successful—got the contested credit deposited yesterday)

amend my 2022 Fed tax return (pending, this for claiming the pre-IRA EV credit for the short lived EQB purchase)

amend my 2023 Fed tax return (pending, this for TurboTax having a software error they acknowledged and not claiming energy efficiency upgrade credits. TurboTax is also refunding my purchase price for their software in exchange for this hassle)

and amend my 2023 CO state tax return (filed just now, awaiting processing, this because TurboTax didn't have me claim the state sales tax refund for some unknown reason)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
McDonald Hyundai: no Kona EVs in stock. Two incoming but reserved.

Arapahoe: one listed on site sold 3/23. More incoming next month but need to await what the Hyundai-set incentives will be.

Foundation: gave an initial quote with $1,600 in markup between "accessories" and bogus doc fees. and marked up the MF. asked them to try again. :D Foundation's followup offer was of $1,301 in markup and still having the MF marked up 0.0004. yeah, nah
so Kona EV or bust. maybe next month if incentives hold steady on Hyundai's end.
so this Kona Electric thing definitely isn't happening before April 1.

not enough available inventory actually on the ground except at Foundation Hyundai, and they aren't playing ball in good faith as per my quoted post above.

I'll recheck the April incentives on the Edmunds lease forum and if the deal remains good will badger other more reasonable dealerships as their in-transit cars come in.

2024-hyundai-kona-electric-148-642b13cd7c51f.jpg

possibly reasonable dealers with which to follow up in April:

Arapahoe Hyundai
Stevinson Hyundai (maybe—never got anything besides their auto-generated lead "welcome video" email but I just emailed back to see how responsive they are/aren't)
Schomp Hyundai (their internet sales guy has been very responsive with Ioniq 6 quotes that went nowhere ultimately)
Planet Hyundai (maybe—ADM on their SE is bogus and a half)
McDonald Hyundai & Genesis of Littleton

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
would I hate or love these on the frontside? I'm so used to my easygoing Mindbenders these days.

(I do totally approve of the first owner's choice of Look Pivots! and they probably could adjust in those side arms for my 304ish mm BSL boots without a remount.)

https://www.powder7.com/Stockli-Laser-AX-Skis-175cm-Used-2022/for-sale

self-counterpoint: Powder7 people seem reliable and certainly ski where I do. To trust them or Blister reviewers?

IMG_1732.jpeg

Last edited: