Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
how'd you make $4 on facebook?
it offered me the option one day to monetize my account

so I checked that box and get dem sweet funds via Paypal every month or two

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
realized last night that having the Hyundai lease cash handled outside the lease equation and instead having the CO tax credit within it would net me another few hundred dollars on the Kona Electric SEL lease deal. so close to $1200-1300 overall it should be: $50/mo cost averaged over 24 months ultimately, with less time fronting money as well (since no waiting for tax time, just waiting a few days/weeks for a Hyundai Motor Finance check)

:)

the only thing that will throw a wrench in my plans is if Schomp gets an allocation for an SE before I take delivery of my due in June blue SEL, as I can switch my reservation within their system. do I accept a slower yet, 198 mlie range, no heated seats vehicle in exchange for a 24 month lease that'd actually _make_ me money? hmmmmmmmm how much do I like heated seats anyway (the answer is quite a bit but the financial games are fun)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The answer is it doesn't matter, as you will get rid of it before the temps get cold enough to use them.:rofl:
if it's a paid up front one-pay lease then I'd have to buy it out for the high residual (thus the whole point of this lease!) in order to do anything with it, and ain't nobody got time for that

so I'd keep it. for 24 months. and then maybe rinse and repeat with a future < $35k EV with stacked Hyundai loyalty cash at that point? hmm

:)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I almost got hit by a Lincoln MKC driver at a roundabout on campus on my way home. So that was fun. Haven’t lost my shit like that since the Jeep driver (lightly—she was fine but for a scraped knuckle) hit my Baby Aya while riding to her preschool a year ago.

may or may not post the handlebar video depending on whether I sound like a lunatic or not
if y'all want to hear me swear for a half minute. I thought it was decent for being improv

note the tire screech as he tried to either buzz me or actually hit me after half-yielding? also note the Tundra driver stopping to make sure this didn't turn bad, and the two joggers at the end commiserating with "what a dick".

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
in case anyone was wondering about the solar install process up at the mountain house:

Jan 30-31: installed physically
Apr 3: CO state inspection passed
Apr 11: Grand County framing inspection passed

the final hurdle before permission to operate is granted is the utility, MPEI, doing their inspection. this hasn't been scheduled yet.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the final hurdle before permission to operate is granted is the utility, MPEI, doing their inspection. this hasn't been scheduled yet.
bidirectional.PNG

and then just got this, only hours after the inspection. not sure if this constitutes PTO? I forwarded it to Freedom Solar's email alias so that they can puzzle it out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just finished Alastair Reynolds’s Revelation Space.

Liked it quite a lot. Some issues with pacing of progress of the universe’s secrets being revealed but overall an intriguing and rich world presented.

I think I’ll read some of his other books next.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
@gonefirefightin

View attachment 210269

probably just going to do it unless I get a better actual quote. won't begrudge him making his money.
That seems padded to me on the labor and other fees such as "site supervision fee"? what is that even, lol I don't know man, just seems steep for some piers and decking. To give you some context, not having an itemized quote with all materials in 30-day pricing listed and not having hourly rates per person and no timeline is the indicators of a lazy contractor, especially when all the quotes are round general numbers.

I would grab as many quotes as you can because I doubt your job is more than 10k in materials and equipment. The last garage I built was 4 bays wide and two bays deep, hired 2 framers to help and it still was less than 30k

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That seems padded to me on the labor and other fees such as "site supervision fee"? what is that even, lol I don't know man, just seems steep for some piers and decking. To give you some context, not having an itemized quote with all materials in 30-day pricing listed and not having hourly rates per person and no timeline is the indicators of a lazy contractor, especially when all the quotes are round general numbers.

I would grab as many quotes as you can because I doubt your job is more than 10k in materials and equipment. The last garage I built was 4 bays wide and two bays deep, hired 2 framers to help and it still was less than 30k

I used to do a lot of quoting for Industrial projects and the general rule of thumb is that you would need about 25% of the labor hours for project management+overhead. If you add up their site supervision and 15% overhead fee that is about 25% of the overall price. If you have to do that much cat herding, hire dogs.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

I think you're underestimating the challenge @Toshi faces living in the Fraser Valley. If you can't/won't do it yourself, you're kind of at the mercy of what few contractors exist up there.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I think you're underestimating the challenge @Toshi faces living in the Fraser Valley. If you can't/won't do it yourself, you're kind of at the mercy of what few contractors exist up there.
I totally get that, it's everywhere right now really, since the average age of a contractor is over 40 and kids aren't in the trades but I was just commenting on how vague the bid description is. This is typical of contractors who will overbid a gig because they don't care if they get it or not and they are so busy. I would be willing to bet he could find a quote that is at least 10-15k cheaper

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I totally get that, it's everywhere right now really, since the average age of a contractor is over 40 and kids aren't in the trades but I was just commenting on how vague the bid description is. This is typical of contractors who will overbid a gig because they don't care if they get it or not and they are so busy. I would be willing to bet he could find a quote that is at least 10-15k cheaper
You've nearly hit the nail on the head - he's unlikely to find a better quote because *all* the contractors are too busy to care if they get it. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get, generally, of the state of our mountain resort areas currently...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Around here contractors can charge an arm and a leg as there is always some wealthy dumbass who is willing to pay said arm and leg.
Where I lived in Virginia it was the exact opposite, you could find a dozen dipshits looking to do the work for cheap but they were likely to disappear for a few weeks mid-project on a meth bender.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have we arrived at the net worth amount that qualifies a :monkey: to be "wealthy"? 'Cause my guess is that @gonefirefightin and @Nick are probably the only wealthy blokes on the Monkey, now that Brain doesn't come around any more. :homer:

I am a few years away from being able to live off of my "wealth". However I should say that my living expenses are meager and will be even moreso when my mortgage is paid off. However I have little motivation to pay off a 2.5% mortgage these days.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I am a few years away from being able to live off of my "wealth". However I should say that my living expenses are meager and will be even moreso when my mortgage is paid off. However I have little motivation to pay off a 2.5% mortgage these days.
Yeah - our expenses aren't meager presently, but should be "reasonable" once we get the final kid off the payroll. And downsize the house. Although we'll probably start blowing way more $$ on travel once we get rid of that leech.

And getting rid of the mortgage has been *really* nice.

monocle1.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hate to burst your bubble, you ain't wealthy. If you quit working can you live off your debt?
true, would have to liquidate the houses and downsize to the midwest or Chile or whatever to retire now :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
View attachment 210256

and then just got this, only hours after the inspection. not sure if this constitutes PTO? I forwarded it to Freedom Solar's email alias so that they can puzzle it out.
Freedom is all "wtf?":

After reviewing the email you send this is regarding PTO however when I looked at your account I just see that Inspection with the AHJ has just passed and our Interconnection team has not submitted for PTO yet.

I will provide this to our Interconnection department to further review.
AHJ is authority having jurisdiction, for the record

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Around here contractors can charge an arm and a leg as there is always some wealthy dumbass who is willing to pay said arm and leg.
Where I lived in Virginia it was the exact opposite, you could find a dozen dipshits looking to do the work for cheap but they were likely to disappear for a few weeks mid-project on a meth bender.
Same gerl, same, It's always a crap shoot when I go to hire labor around here, need to have at least three numbers to call because a couple will be either trippin ballz or incarcerated.

Have we arrived at the net worth amount that qualifies a :monkey: to be "wealthy"? 'Cause my guess is that @gonefirefightin and @Nick are probably the only wealthy blokes on the Monkey, now that Brain doesn't come around any more. :homer:
HAH! If I was "wealthy" I sure as hell wouldn't be doing all this planning, excavating, and building by my solo hands. I'd be on a beach telling a contractor to call me when it's done.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
if y'all want to hear me swear for a half minute. I thought it was decent for being improv

note the tire screech as he tried to either buzz me or actually hit me after half-yielding? also note the Tundra driver stopping to make sure this didn't turn bad, and the two joggers at the end commiserating with "what a dick".
He was trying to beat you through the round about and realized he couldn't, then got pissed that you called him out. Quality tirade, fuck that guy.