Quantcast

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
it turns out that the venerable ol' Quicktime Pro can do this:

and here is the result:

http://tinyurl.com/pdmmt (click on fourth thumbnail then on resulting large image)

note that the in- and out-of-car videos are a bit off even tho the initial sync is correct since they are from different runs. i picked up 2 seconds between the out- and in-car recordings, for instance.
What, you didn't want to buy Shake? :greedy:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
to celebrate the new page here is a more direct link to the video. i'm on the right.

WARNING: ~140 MB.

my own commentary on the driving:

- i launched harder than chris. perhaps this is him babying his own car and me being a jerk :D

- although we took a similar line around the first left hand cone by the second right hand jog (0:05 into the movie) you can see i'm turned in a whole lot more in anticipation of the upcoming big left hander. you can also see that i touch the brakes here -- this is where left foot braking is totally key, imo.

- taking the above line lets me set up a whole lot better for the 70 degree left hander. also note that i'm on the brakes earlier and longer here

- you can see that the earlier braking lets chris actually catch up to me by the apex of this turn. however, also note that my car is turned in a good 10 degrees more, is not pushing, and is settled on its suspension

- the slower, tighter line on the previous turn let me put down the power more effectively while chris was still pushing wide, scrubbing off speed. this causes him to overshoot the right hand sweeper-into-slalom. note that he is still going straight in this photo.

- this in turn sets me up for where i gain most of my time, on the slalom. note being turned in early at the start of the slalom, in the middle of the slalom, and at the end of the slalom

- chris again brakes less and later and goes much faster than me around the turnaround, but as a result goes wide. cutting back over to the left costs more time. images from here on out split since they don't line up.

- we actually take a very similar line through the next left hand sweeper. the only difference perhaps is that i look slower but the car also looks like it's pushing a lot less for me

- chris again goes wide in the next sharp right. this is probably another place where i made up a bunch of time

- in the sharp left i screw up on the videoed run and go wide. chris can be seen with a cleaner, tighter line

- we both turn in at about the same time for the 180 around the tire but i apparently braked a whole lot more as can be seen by the line on exit

- same issue with line choice at the penultimate corner

the net effect of these choices on line and braking point can be seen in the results:

http://www.pacificrallygroup.com/RC092406.html (link down at time of posting, but iirc this particular run was 57.xx for me, 1:01.xx for chris. my best of the day (in-car vid) was 55.9x, while chris got a 59.18.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hello all faithful readers of this long-lived thread,

i seek advice on what to do with a dishonest seller. please read on (and reply here if you're not registered on nasioc):

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1103330

cliffs notes: seller claims a part he is hawking would work with my car. i go to have it installed and the installers go "what is this?!". seller then revises story to say that with enough fabrication anything would work, and that it's my fault for not seeing through his insistence that it would work.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i thought i´d contribute to the racing spirit...
there was a rally last weekend. went out with some buddies, did not film this, but i was at that spot.

good ol´ city to city racing. like in the 50s. gotta love disregard for safety!.
6 stages, 7 days, 1400 miles. tarmac/gravel. shortest one about 90-100 miles. longest one, about 600-650 miles. all non-stop, besides one stop halfway the 600 miler.
average speed on the last 200 miles, about 160 mph, some cars hitting 170-180mph steadily at times. :eek:

geez, i hope i can at least to race one stage next year. the first one (the one in the vid).
there arent many city-city anymore, and that is something you have to experience at least once..... i just need to sprout a 4th kidney now.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i thought i´d contribute to the racing spirit...
there was a rally last weekend. went out with some buddies, did not film this, but i was at that spot.

good ol´ city to city racing. like in the 50s. gotta love disregard for safety!.
6 stages, 7 days, 1400 miles. tarmac/gravel. shortest one about 90-100 miles. longest one, about 600-650 miles. all non-stop, besides one stop halfway the 600 miler.
average speed on the last 200 miles, about 160 mph, some cars hitting 170-180mph steadily at times. :eek:
sweet jeebus, no crowd control whatsoever. that kid who darted across the road in front of the third car... :banghead: you sure about this 160 mph average? kph, sure, but that's ridiculously fast for anything but an oval track if in mph.

and, uh, 4th kidney? :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hello all faithful readers of this long-lived thread,

i seek advice on what to do with a dishonest seller. please read on (and reply here if you're not registered on nasioc):

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1103330

cliffs notes: seller claims a part he is hawking would work with my car. i go to have it installed and the installers go "what is this?!". seller then revises story to say that with enough fabrication anything would work, and that it's my fault for not seeing through his insistence that it would work.
as an update to this: i am not going to contest the charge, but instead am going to try to sell the reservoir and move on, with the daily bump(s) for the reservoir FS thread serving as more publicity for the whole sordid affair...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1106685

incidentally, i'm also selling a trim piece from the dashboard of my WRX, the upper HVAC surround. if anyone is in need of such a piece then check here :D :

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1106661

the selling of this hacked-up trim piece (with turbo timer-shaped cutout done poorly by dremel by the previous owner...) represents a nice segue into the true topic of this particular post, how my car's interior is now whole :) :

- bought an unmolested upper HVAC trim piece from a subaru junkyard in cali, thus the opportunity to sell the above.

- finally hunted down switch blanks for the 2 holes near the cruise control and the single hole in the center console. these were occupied by switches for fog lights (long gone), ? unknown, and the previous owner's remote mute switch for his non-V1 radar detector.

- bust out the drill, went to the hardware store, with the net result that the backing plates of my hood pins are now securely affixed to the carbon hood with machine screws, a much better arrangement than the flimsy adhesive that had (barely) been holding them on before.

(for the record, the pins themselves hold the plates to the hood when the hood is shut and locked, but the plates would try to escape when the pins were out, as is the case when the hood is opened. the point is that it was never a safety issue, but rather just an annoyance -- "you know your hood pins are falling off, right?" "yeah, yeah...")

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
another random youtube video chock full o' coolness, off-roading in an airplane :eek: :

and an in-car ride in a ferrari FXX (track-only development edition of the enzo's successor). that thing has some serious top end...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
sweet jeebus, no crowd control whatsoever. that kid who darted across the road in front of the third car... :banghead: you sure about this 160 mph average? kph, sure, but that's ridiculously fast for anything but an oval track if in mph.

and, uh, 4th kidney? :D
the arrival (and whenever cars cross towns) is even more ridiculous.
kinda like the old 70s rallies with cars racing thru the crowd, as the crowd opens to give room.
the stages are so long, there is just no crowd control.

the last stage is 600 miles across the desert, broken in 2 legs on the pan-american highway.

the last 200 miles of the last legs are just:
10km straight, flat out 6th gear bend, another 10km straight and so on. rinse, repeat.. oh yeah, some guys didnt even lift the gas a little to pass thru the 9ft wide toll booths. a road like that is kinda hard to picture. imagine i dunno, a road across death valley were you see 10km of straight in front of you, and 10km behind.
this is actually the highway they race, 200 miles of that is the last stage.

wrc cars used to own the last stage (heh, a wrc racing at redline on 6th on long gearing for 200 miles). but they outlawed wrc cars a few years ago (a handful of guys bought those and were in a league on their own miles ahead the next cars). then group n cars were the ruling class. but now, rules allowed for an "suv" class.
foresters are considered suvs. and with a 2.5L engine, no 32mm restrictor and more lax modifications (some dude built a mitsubishi outlander just for the race with a punched out evo9 2.2L engine) they are pushing 450ish hp.... those were hitting the 160mph average only the wrc were doing in the past. hehe, and funnily (and scarily) they draft.

subaru forester goodness. glowing discs. that was friday night.

160mph is like what? 250-260km/h?, thats the correct speed for the last part of the last leg. picture that road, and unrestricted 2.5L turbo (450ish hp) engines drafting flat out on 6th gear for 40-50 minutes. i think its a miracle there´s been only one driver fatality in the last 25 years. (it was on the last stage, and interestingly enough it wasnt a wrc/group n/suv (or any "fast" car)... it was a 200hp S1600 on 1999).
even to me, living here and everything, the fact races like that still exist is incredible. just gotta race one of them before the age of reason arrives to peru or something.
am pretty sure this must be one of the last surviving races of its kinda, and probably the last with cars that fast since fangio raced them...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's a sobering dyno chart. Stock C6 Z06 overlaid on a really built 2.8L STI mill (limited by fuel system)

2.8L specs said:
2.8L bored and fully built race longblock from GT Motorsports in California
(forged internals, Cosworth cams and ported stage 3 heads, titanium valve springs / retainers, race bearings, custom knife-edged crankshaft, 14mm head studs to allow 60psi of boost, etc. etc.) - supposedly capable of 800awhp
Ultimate Racing GT35R kit (GT35R turbo, custom turboback/uppipe, Tial 44mm wastegate with dumptube)
TurboXS FMIC
4" turbo inlet
Blow-through MAF setup
HKS SSQV BOV
Flow-matched 850cc injectors, single Walbro
Hydra EMS
this probably is more built than the local Crawford fanbois in your region, alexis, yet note how even with all this work it only manages to keep up with the stock Z06 from 4k on up. below that rpm the V8 owns...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://www.prodrive.com/up/Cars for sale.pdf

:drool:

in other news i have 20.7 lbs of boost dialed in + some torco in the tank for tomorrow's autocross. should be a handful since i'm still on the Nokians... :D

and to continue with the car theme of months of late, here's a highly amusing video from top gear illustrating how to build a caterham 7 kit car:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
so nice toys, so expensive.
barattero is an argentinean builder (they do mostly group n), their cars rule the region, some say they are as good as prodrive´s. and they are much cheaper, like $80k for a new one.
there was a used barattero 2003 impreza spec c group n for sale here for $35k (a few spares included), although it was raced almost every month.

those wrc are awesome machines. i saw an impreza wrc last year on a local rally. there was a peugeot wrc too, but the imprezza owner was not really up to the car, the peugeot was slower than some locally built group n.
the imprezza owner said the car costed $900k (including a truckload of spares and other bits). customs valued the car at $1.1million :eek:
my dad did some legal paperwork many years ago for a couple TTE celica WRC that came to peru. they were $450k for the two of them (tarmac and gravel trims and enough spares for any stage configuration).
they were originally brought to lima by ONE guy who had them as a main and spare.

pretty insane prices. imagine that, beating the crap out of a half million dollar car, jumping it off humps and putting it sideways on gravel.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
since last season i've had ski gloves on my "to buy" list, as i managed to rip the palm somehow during my 19 days on the slopes :D . thus i was extremely pleasantly surprised when i won a pair of decent looking hestra gloves at a ski movie premiere tonight. $8 gloves assuming the movie itself was worthless, which it pretty much was, heh

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my parents are giving me their '96 expedition -- i just have to take over the tabs and insurance. so i might be able to use the insurance payout (assuming the car is totaled, of course) for something impractical. spec miata?! certainly wouldn't be fast at what, 115 hp to the wheels? :D but would be an amusing ride for sure, especially with another vehicle to daily drive. miata + 700 lb/in springs + racing seat = ouch.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
all yr mods probably add up to more than i spent on my car :D
given the insurance situation i just made up an accurate mod list using MSRP prices (nowhere near what i paid, of course, but fair replacement value nonetheless), and the mod list came out to $16539. that's not including installation and other small/incidental parts...

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Got the 5th element back from factory service today. Compared to the fox factory service, 5th's is pretty weak. I got no new bushings (I did from Fox), and they didn't even wipe off the excess grease from the maintenance. They did however give me a "free" t-shirt (that's at least two sizes too big) and if the shock works I won't complain, at least for a while...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
not that it's really relevant now that the car is in pieces at the body shop (jury is still out on whether it'll be totaled, but signs are pointing to "yes"), but here's what the car put down on sept 28 when it had the water injection kit installed. yellow is on the 90 octane map, green is 92 octane, both with water injection, of course.

figures are at the wheels: dynapacks always say "flywheel hp" or torque no matter what the settings are, and this dyno reads like a dynojet (aka, kinda high but not ridiculously high like crawford's dyno).

/end e-penis swinging

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
what was the outcome of yr water tank/injection retrofit scuffle w/ the seller?
i decided to drop the issue and take it as a lesson learned: be RIDICULOUSLY explicit about fitment, labor required when venturing into areas outside one's own area of expertise.

in other news, the car is officially totaled, with the estimate on parts + labor + tax for repair coming to 12,731.66. here's to hoping that the traffic lawyer will keep my insurance rates from rising a commensurate amount :cheers:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i posted this link earlier in the thread but now it suddenly becomes relevant:

http://www.soloracerblog.com/2006/10/stock_class_par.html

the actual number may jump around +/- insurance, registration, deductible, etc. but let's assume a $10k figure at the moment. given that constraint what car would the peanut gallery pick?

other notes: double wishbone suspension is a HUGE plus in my book, almost mandatory. light weight is also favored. i don't want a F-body or mustang, so no F Stock cars.

ready, set, go!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i posted this link earlier in the thread but now it suddenly becomes relevant:

http://www.soloracerblog.com/2006/10/stock_class_par.html

the actual number may jump around +/- insurance, registration, deductible, etc. but let's assume a $10k figure at the moment. given that constraint what car would the peanut gallery pick?

other notes: double wishbone suspension is a HUGE plus in my book, almost mandatory. light weight is also favored. i don't want a F-body or mustang, so no F Stock cars.

ready, set, go!
i know double wishbones are the way to go, but am not aware of many sports cars with double wishbones at the price range.

have you given thought to an e30 m3. a friend of mine is replacing his 2004 japanese spec sti with an euro e30 m3. and he researched for the best replacement car for quite a while. he says the euro e30 m3 was the best all around bet.
back in the day, another guy i met in high school had this pretty kick ass e30 m3 racecar. with a factory built racing engine, complete with all the warsteiner dtm livery and everything. the car overheated like crazy, had like 13:1 compression, HAD to be run with aviation gas, crushed your kidneys with every pebble if you ever dared to take it to the street, it was a headache, but boy, it was pretty and extremely fast. i dont what in the world makes a parent give a car that fast to a 16yo, but the guy had it.

the fastest tarmac muncher and hillclimber in town for years was an ex euro-champ factory-built e30 m3 racecar (atmospheric engine btw) too. its reign extended well after the wrc-car age arrived.
they can make pretty sweet cars. they are relatively cheap by now, and the stock head and valvetrain are up to the task for a race car.

is it gonna be a track only car? or everyday car?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
E30 has poor suspension geometry. altho it's favored by all the DTM fanbois, i don't think it's so great myself.

(the miata has double wishbones...)

check out these:

http://sccaforums.com/forums/56/ShowForum.aspx

mmmmmm :) . i figure buying a prepped autox car is probably the way to go, Stock class, C Stock or below.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
E30 has poor suspension geometry. altho it's favored by all the DTM fanbois, i don't think it's so great myself.

(the miata has double wishbones...)

check out these:

http://sccaforums.com/forums/56/ShowForum.aspx

mmmmmm :) . i figure buying a prepped autox car is probably the way to go, Stock class, C Stock or below.
but its the car with warsteiner livery!! you CAN´T argue against that!!

an already built car is going to be way cheaper and proven. but i just dont get the point of purposely built autox cars. it kinda defeats its own purpose. like allowing pros into the olympics or something.

i´m also toying the idea of building a vintage car, not now though. hopefully next year or whenever sale of buy-options on un-sprouted kidneys are legalized or something.
something like a trans-am barracuda or camaro would be so awesome. it would be cheaper than a fuel injected machine, and way cooler too. and i could keep it for 10 years, and it would still be cool and not loose its coolness when the new trend arrives. (you can see peru is all about trend and we are all a bunch of "fanbois"... one year the euro m3 got trendy, and next year everybody had one.. one year the intense m1 got trendy, next year everybody had one... wrx? half the people into cars has or had one too:biggrin: ). 60s mustang fastbacks and shelby mustangs are the latest trend. a few years ago you could find a fastback for 3k... but now? at least 12k for a running one. damn gone in 60 seconds.

the miata smells like the best bet so far.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
as far as purpose built autox cars, i tend to agree with you. that's why it's the most sane to stick to the Stock classes, where the mods allowed are:

- air filter element (but not swap of a cone for a flat plate, for example)
- front swaybar but not rear
- struts but not springs
- catback
- R comps on stock width wheels.

this would all come in spring or so, of course, but i'm thinking that a 1994 Miata R or 1999 Miata Sport set up for E Stock or C Stock would be fun. buying one as a package with the above mods already done, extra wheels/tires included would seem to make sense.

didn't you already have an old car, a camaro, no? got that itch again?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
as far as purpose built autox cars, i tend to agree with you. that's why it's the most sane to stick to the Stock classes, where the mods allowed are:

- air filter element (but not swap of a cone for a flat plate, for example)
- front swaybar but not rear
- struts but not springs
- catback
- R comps on stock width wheels.

this would all come in spring or so, of course, but i'm thinking that a 1994 Miata R or 1999 Miata Sport set up for E Stock or C Stock would be fun. buying one as a package with the above mods already done, extra wheels/tires included would seem to make sense.

didn't you already have an old car, a camaro, no? got that itch again?
yes, a 68 camaro and a 2nd generation charger with a 440.
but the camaro is built to run on peruvian 90oct, the engine is a big block on .060" already, and its an auto and has the original interior re-done. its a rather tame car.
the charger.. i love the car, but it doesnt lend itself to "racing". plus i got a buyer interested in the car. i bought it a few weeks ago and i could make a decent profit from the sale.

i meant i was thinking about getting something like a vintage full-on race-car. like the 60s trans-am. something i could actually take to a track and drive at race speeds with relative safety on. caged 67-69 camaro, with a pumped small block, 4speed, with disc brakes and racing seats. i´d have to find a suitable canditate first though.
something like this (i wish but i doubt it could be a barracuda, those are too expensive and too rare around here to chop).