Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
recycling old pics here since the lego people site was rediscovered by the lounge (my group discovered it way back on january 29, 2003 since our nerdness is strong)

lego people

supposed to be christine lin, heh. that's my pic of jordan hall used as a background

ari, i like your new years pics btw. especially the first glass one :thumb:

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Toshi said:
ari, i like your new years pics btw. especially the first glass one :thumb:
Thanks. ;)

I was a bit dissapointed that the fireworks pictures didn't come out that great but that's probably because I was inside shooting through thick glass at a very touch angle.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
heh, i just did a phone mini-interview for a new york times stringer writing an article on foofpods (the little corduroy bags for ipods about which i posted in this thread back in november). the company also makes foofbags for powerbooks...

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Toshi said:
heh, i just did a phone mini-interview for a new york times stringer writing an article on foofpods (the little corduroy bags for ipods about which i posted in this thread back in november). the company also makes foofbags for powerbooks...
Cool. :thumb:

So are you going to be famously quoted in that august publication?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
perhaps i will, if the writer doesn't get her story rejected :D .

at keith's (friend's) request i've posted a few full size 20D shots: http://students.washington.edu/tjclark/20Dsamples.zip , with the file weighing in at about 20 MB. some of the files have been resized downwards, especially the one that was shot at iso 3200 and then pushed another stop :eek:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
So with 8 inches overnight we couldn't resist going up again yesterday. This time it was 18 runs for about 23200 vert and the best powder day any of us have seen here in years. We got another 5" or so throughout the day so fresh snow on every run. It was sweet, I'm tired. My friends schooled me all day since I'm used to eastern hardpack nowadays. One of my buddies got some pictures before his camera froze and I'll post them if he sends me some copies.

Back to c-bridge today, but stuck in the Albuquerque airport for now. Flight was supposed to be in at 8 through chicago, but ohare's a disaster now so it'll be through dallas at midnight. :dead: i love air travel these days...

Barbaton said:
So we had a snow storm here in NM last night so some HS friends and I hit the slopes. Georgeous day. I'm pooped. According to ye altimeter watch, we did 19 runs for a total of 24000 vertical feet. It's snowing again now so we might do again tomorrow. Hopefully I'll remember the camera so I can post some pics of what the southwest looks like from the top of the last 12000 ft peak in the rockies...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wow. i am envious. not of the f-15 flyby, but of the snow. washington (and bc) snow sucks this year :(

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
So four cancelled flights and 1 night in dallas =

glad to see that we've got freezing rain falling on all of the snow we got. gotta love boston weather.

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Guess who is going up snowmobiling and skiing this weekend at Stowe?

<points to self> :dancing:

It should be fun. I'll post full report when I get back Sunday night/Monday.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Quadari said:
Guess who is going up snowmobiling and skiing this weekend at Stowe?
i dunno, keith? :think: heh. have fun. congrats on new domain name btw

i got sharp pics in 4/5 shots at f/2 with the 28/1.8 tonight. go figure. i can't figure out that lens for the life of me, sometimes it's soft and full of chromatic aberration, and sometimes it works like a charm (except for exaggerating or at least not flattening out perspective).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's a pic from today that i quite like:

iso 3200 + 0.17 stop, 28/1.8 wide open, 1/15 sec.

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
So I'm back from the weekend a bit sore and tired, but nonetheless in one piece.

Went snowmobiling on Saturday morning which was fun. The snowmobiles we had were pretty darn luxurious as they had thing like heated handlebars and a heated throttle. Didn't do anything crazy, but it was still fun to zoom around.

Got back from snowmobiling at about 12:30 so I quickly grabbed my ski stuff and headed over to the mountain so that I could ski half a day saturday. For some reason everyone seems to leave the mountain really early so that by mid afternoon it was fairly empty and it was snowing! :-D That meant lots of fresh snow for me during the last runs of the day.

I realized that I haven't been skiing out west in quite a while and I sort of miss it since while eastern skiing is quite fun, none of the mountains are really all that big. After a day of skiing at Stowe you've basically done the whole thing.

Skied all day Sunday also. It was nice and sunny. Then dropped off some people at the Burlington airport, drove the 3 hours back to Boston and crashed.

Now it's back to work...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
did you make up a lot of fake names like the infamous NYT / sub pop interview? :D

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/grungegate.html

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Mac mini.
iPod Shuffle.
iWorks.
iLife '05.

Anyone have thoughts?

I like the Mac mini. It really is tiny. :thumb:
Excited for the next iPhoto because it incorporates some stuff I've been wanting anyway.
A bit confused about the iPod shuffle. I mean, it's really cool and all, but no UI? The point is, of course, that you just shuffle all your songs, but I feel like it's good as sort of a secondary player. Then again, Apple has proved me wrong in the past (e.g. iPod mini I thought was too expensive to make it worth it.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i, too, like the mac mini. quite a different beast than the imposing quicksilver i have :D

i'll probably pick up iLife and iWork '05 when a combo deal for the two appears on the edu store. i'm not so keen on letting iphoto handle raw conversion, but maybe that will be great. we shall see.

all in all a good crop from apple, i think, even tho the screenless shuffle concept boggles the mind at first take...

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
The mini mac is likely to take the place of my g4 tower... I'll stuff the G4 in my music studio on record duty, and use the mini as my "desktop." It's so inexpensive, I'm having a hard time thinking why I wouldn't.

As the owner of a G1 ipod, i think the screenless shuffle pod is pretty cool... it's inexpensive enough that I wouldn't be afraid to take it riding or what not. I'm a little fearful of landing on my pod, and the shuffle is SO SMALL...

my $0.02.

p6

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
This amused me:

EXTERMINUTE

Jan 12 2005

Dr Who return hit by shortage of dwarf actors
Exclusive By Cameron Robertson

FILMING of the new Doctor Who series has been hit by a shortage of midget actors.

Bosses wanted them to play tiny blue aliens - but most have been snapped up for the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie and to play Gringotts Bank staff in the new Harry Potter film.

Dr Who executive producer Russell T Davies said: "It's very difficult to employ persons of restricted growth when, as our producer Phil Collinson says, `Bloody Gringotts and the Chocolate Factory are filming at the same time'."

Insiders on the BBC1 sci-fi drama admit it has proved a headache during shooting of the 13-part series, due to be wrapped up next month.

One said: "The two big movies have snapped up the talent. It's been hard to find who we want."

Peter Burroughs - whose Peterborough-based Willow Personal Management is one of just two UK agencies for dwarf actors - admitted he had been unable to supply Dr Who with a 3ft 8in star.

He said: "That was very difficult to find, especially with the other productions going on."

The new series, with Christopher Eccleston as Dr Who and Billie Piper as sidekick Rose Tyler, is due to start in March.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
for thad, mainly, since ari is on toshi-open and keith isn't one of the enlightened (mac users)

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=241301 <-- marathon 1, 2, and 3/infinity released for free! and they work with os x, too, if you use aleph one.

That's cool, though I wasn't a mac user when Marathon was big. Did play a lot of doom and quake in those years, though.

You have a personal open list? :think:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
here's what i thought about the iPod shuffle, from anothe board:

the new flash-based iPod looks to me like a bust. sure it's a bit cheaper, but no screen? that's weak. and i wasn't sure if there was a memory card expansion slot either; the WSJ review didn't mention one. maybe apple also got sick of people warrantying HD-based iPods after they killed them during running/skiiing/car jacking/sport of their choice.

just ordered some Shure E2s for my karma...woot woot!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Acadian said:
what is that?
rio karma == non-ipod :dead: mp3 player :D
shure e2 == headphones. earbuds, no? congrats on making the plunge. did you spring for the senns as well, after all?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no i haven't gotten the senns yet, but after my ears were pummeled (by discomfort and non-musicality) of my existing sony headphones last night, i am certainly getting closer. i won $125 from my fantasy football league, so when i get the $ i might get them then.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
narlus said:
here's what i thought about the iPod shuffle, from anothe board:

the new flash-based iPod looks to me like a bust. sure it's a bit cheaper, but no screen? that's weak. and i wasn't sure if there was a memory card expansion slot either; the WSJ review didn't mention one. maybe apple also got sick of people warrantying HD-based iPods after they killed them during running/skiiing/car jacking/sport of their choice.
Here's my take. Does anyone know if you can use the iPod shuffle as a disk the way you can use regular ipods. I agree that an iPod with no screen is kind of a drag, but a memory keychain that can play music is kind of compelling. Maybe apple's approaching their marketing from the wrong direction if so.

Anyone else notice that item 2 of their disclaimers at the bottom of the iPod Shuffle page is "Do not eat iPod shuffle." Is that a joke or did some lawyer make them put that since they pictured it next to gum? :think:

EDIT: upon further review the device can store files. I kind of want a USB keychain drive that I can put a few tunes on and listen to on my way to work now...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
Here's my take. Does anyone know if you can use the iPod shuffle as a disk the way you can use regular ipods. I agree that an iPod with no screen is kind of a drag, but a memory keychain that can play music is kind of compelling. Maybe apple's approaching their marketing from the wrong direction if so.

Anyone else notice that item 2 of their disclaimers at the bottom of the iPod Shuffle page is "Do not eat iPod shuffle." Is that a joke or did some lawyer make them put that since they pictured it next to gum? :think:
it's a joke :D and yes, you can use it as a thumb drive or whatever term you prefer for that kind of gizmo

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i saw that "do not eat iPod" and gave a half-hearted chuckle.

hey toshi, my wife's got an uncle w/ a house in anacortes. so maybe we'll be out there sometime.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cool. anacortes seems like a good location to allow for a sprint up to whistler...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i finished jihad vs. mcworld today btw. was well written and provocative. the author's blatant overuse of "dialectical" was annoying. i think i'm going to plow through a few novels before diving back into political works, with paul farmer's pathologies of power the next such book on the docket.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Quadari said:
Finally posted some (a very few) pictures from last weekend...

Weekend in Stowe
mmmm snow. mmmm shwayder.org :thumb: .

i went up to stevens pass today. good snow, good group, good times. was on the mountain from 1:30 to 9 pm with dinner sometime in there. i'm going to give snowboarding a shot next time since i've been having it all too easy on the twin planks this season (rental parabolics >> my old straight skis), and because i think taking a lesson with kristel would help both me and her. she is scared of the fall line...