Quantcast

Toyota Tacoma.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
So I've been lusting for one a bit now. (Crew cab.) To the owners, have they been reliable? I'm asking specifically about the latest gen. model. Newer than 2005...

All the ones on Toyota lots are "Certified" but do you really need the warranty? Any horror stories out there?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Just for the record, the 2005 model is the newer version. I got mine right when they first came out.
I have the 2005 Tacoma access cab with the off road package.
It has 127,000 miles, and nothing has been done to it but oil changes.
So yeah, it has been perfect for me.
I even wash it once every two years.
I stayed out of those other weiner measuring truck threads, because I am allergic to that much dumb, but the new tacomas are solid.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I had that engine/tranny (4.0L V6 w/5spd auto) in my old Tundra. I loved it.

Timing chain non-interference engines ftw.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Oh the one thing that is kind of a pain in the ass is that there's no transmission dipstick, and oil changes on that are expensive and require the dealership or some other machine (rather than just doing a drain/fill). Shouldn't need it until 120k though.

grooveninja

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
2005 Tacoma double cab long bed.

Issues:
#1 issue is its not diesel, I really want the Toyota Heliux, not a Tacoma.

#2 suspension sucks, even with TURD (TRD) package. Was sagging in less than a year, but i camp a lot in the bed. Replaced coils, leefs, shocks with OME and its been good to go for the last 80k.

120k so far and only routine maintenance and oil changes.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
'07 Crew, long bed, TRD sport - 30k miles
Haven't done any maintenance except oil changes.
The suspension was saggy. I have a heavy contractors canopy and a T2 rack. They have a TSB fix, and the newer ones should come fixed. I added airbags and that solved the issue.
Also switched to real D rated truck tires. The stock ones are P rated but that's par for the course to boost the EPA rating and test drive.

Overall, very happy. It does everything a truck should and I can still parallel park it in the city. I went new just because the used ones are expensive and I was able to beat up the dealer on price quite a bit.

Last edited:

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I just bought a '08 Tacoma access cab, 4X4, standard bed with 28K on the clock. Mine has the 2.7 i4 and 5 speed (saved me money) and it has plenty of power for me. It still has the passenger tires it came with, but I'll be getting all terrain tires when these wear out. I've ordered a cap for it (Leer) so I can carry seismographs and about 200# of sandbags without fear of it getting wet in the rain. Also keeps the bikes "out of view" on the way to the trails. With the composite beds, get a bed liner so everything doesn't slide around. I got mine from Auto Zone for $50.

This is it.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
For all the Toyota transmissions, their spec'd service interval is 120k. Sealed unit. I don't necessarily agree with it either. I think 60k is more realistic.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I change mine every 50k.
Just works for me.

I love my Taco. Its the business.
And its paid for. 78k on the clock and going strong.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
For all the Toyota transmissions, their spec'd service interval is 120k. Sealed unit. I don't necessarily agree with it either. I think 60k is more realistic.
60-70k is usually whats recommended. ive done mine every 20k only because ive had the tranny revalved

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I had a 2000 Tacoma with the 5VZFE motor in it...made it to 176K without any problems at all. Just recently sold it but loved the thing for it's reliability.
Don't know too much about the new ones but figure they only get better. Good luck finding one, they're awesome trucks!!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Oh the one thing that is kind of a pain in the ass is that there's no transmission dipstick, and oil changes on that are expensive and require the dealership or some other machine (rather than just doing a drain/fill). Shouldn't need it until 120k though.
those transmissions use WS oil... which should last forever (this side of the world, WS does NOT have any service interval, its supposed to last until the engine block dies, the car rusts to death or the tranny needs a rebuild, whichever happen first, usually the 1st)

and even if in the US, the service interval is 120k MILES, no need to worry about something you *might* have to change once in the vehicule lifetime....

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Found a good candidate today except for the price, and I'd like the long bed.

Dark blue TRD with 50K. Manual tranny. Lot was asking $27,500... Too bad these trucks are so good, otherwise I'd be able to find more private sellers. Still not thinking I need a warranty.

Oh, this is all besides the fact that I need a good down payment... Ugh.