Quantcast

TPMS sensor question

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
so, I have summer tires on rims and winter tires on rims...I only have one set of TPMS sensors, and want another set. Can I just order randomly on eBay, or are there some important parameters in order for it to work!
(13' Chevy Silverado)
The local tire shops want an arm and a leg for them...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so, I have summer tires on rims and winter tires on rims...I only have one set of TPMS sensors, and want another set. Can I just order randomly on eBay, or are there some important parameters in order for it to work!
(13' Chevy Silverado)

An arm and a leg will cost you little more than $28.00 for a decent machete and a few minutes of vigorous work.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
(13' Chevy Silverado)
Not quite.

First of all, there are different frequencies (mhz) that different vehicles/sensors work on. You have to buy the frequency that matches your car. There ARE aftermarket "one size fits all" TPMS sensors that are supposed to work with a wide variety of vehicles IF you buy the right frequency, but this is kind of sketch and a long-shot. Best idea is to look up your vehicle and find out the delco or whatever part number for the sensors that came on it, and then order those/find them on ebay. That's what most people do, unless you can find some sort of information that verifies the ones you are considering work with your vehicle. You'll also need the programmer tool, but luckily those have come way down in price and can be had now for ~$20 or so, again you have to make sure you buy the correct frequency. Basically, the car needs to match wheel the wheel position with the sensor. Theoretically, IF you kept the TPMS sensors and just switched the tires and put the wheels and sensors all back in the positions they came from, everything would work fine, even with different tires. Change the sensor or wheel position, it all needs to be reprogrammed.

I found the sensors I needed for around $50 (for all 4), which is about $150 cheaper than tire rack and the next cheapest sources, but researching what my vehicle used and then searching 'the nets was how I did it.

When you have two sets with TPMS sensors and the programming tool, you can switch the wheels whenever you desire, which is helpful for us in winter climates. Some more modern vehicles will lockout some functions (some of the traction/stability management or drivetrain) if the TMPS sensors aren't present, in addition to giving you the malfunction warning (which can usually be dismissed).

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The tool is fucking expensive. I just are the $75 cost and had Discount Tire install new sensors for me. They reset for no cost each year. Big-O just reset mine a few weeks ago for free too, that's pretty common.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The tool is fucking expensive. I just are the $75 cost and had Discount Tire install new sensors for me. They reset for no cost each year. Big-O just reset mine a few weeks ago for free too, that's pretty common.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EL-50448-TPMS-Reset-Tool-Relearn-Auto-Tire-Pressure-Sensor-for-GM-Vehicle-MA1482/232602529007?hash=item362830ecef:g:fY4AAOSwjodaPMIU

Like $17, you have to get the right frequency, but there are several like this that work with a wide variety of vehicles. Check the forums for the car you own.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Why are peoples tires getting PMS. Other than with a sensor how can you tell? Do they leak a little bit every month?